Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 08:40 AM

823 posts, read 1,975,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
This thread reminds me of the recent Tom Hanks movie 'The Circle', and how they kind of predict where social media is going in the future...nothing should be secret, "secrets are lies" was a big quote from the movie, how dare anyone keep any secrets from anyone else in the age of social media, your ENTIRE life and past should be open to anyone who wants to look, and I mean YOUR ENTIRE LIFE, everything you have done, and are doing.

Anyone who does not conform, should be aided in getting the help they need, even if its against their will, after all, they are so concerned with everyones health and safety.

yeah I can see where this going!

Well...it's something like that, actually. But I was the victim.

I met a woman on Facebook a few days ago. She Kept repeating over and over "how come you have so few pictures on your account".

I just have 3 or 4 and they are old. I dont have recent pictures.. I dont really like posting my pictures on social media, I rarely take pictures of myself, only in special events, birthdays, etc.

So she came up with a sentence that creeped me out "I wanna see the pictures of your life".

Like she thought I was some sort of human display that she can process in 2 minutes just by watching a few pictures. Ok, I admit it's nice to see pictures of the past of somebody when you are interested in that person...but you wont ever get to know that person unless you actually spend time with that person.

So I felt kinda anxious, like "I am supposed to have a wide amount of pictures in order to keep this woman interested in me?". Pictures of me climbing the Everest, or on top of the Eiffel tower, or playing the Superbowl final, or stepping onto the Moon?

And she felt kinda distrustful when I told her I dont have many pictures, so she could not visualize my "life story" in a few seconds. In fact it was a bit of a turn off.

Alright...that's the story behind the thread...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2017, 08:51 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Still no clue as to what you're babbling about. WTF biz of yours is it when someone "lost their cherry"?! OP, this is getting weirder and creepier, the more you explain.

No one has a past until they choose to share it with you. That's most people. Get over it.

Weird, OP....

I have an idea: why don't you go out and ask your mailman, the next time you see him, when he lost his virginity, and what political party he's registered with? Ask him where he went to highschool. Get back to us.

Old 09-23-2017, 08:57 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
What school did Mary Poppins attend? When did she lose her cherry? What political party does she vote for? No clue, right? You can watch the movie, spend 120 minutes watching her talking and interacting, but at the end of the movie, there's not a real sense of a biography there. She sings well, she uses her umbrella to fly and has a few good lines, but that's all, you dont ever have the feeling you "know her"., you dont feel "there's a story" behind her.
^^^^^^^^^^^^from your post #10
None of your business, end of story.

Old 09-23-2017, 09:04 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,289,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier77 View Post
They have no social media. No pictures. Nobody seems to miss them. No place seems to be "home" for them.

They can act normal. Polite and civil. But you can´t help havng the feeling that this person has no past.

Maybe they are a coworker. Or the guy next door. Or a second hand car salesman.

When you meet someone like this, you feel like you wanna know the story of that person? Or just find that person creepy?
Key words in your post are "SEEMS".....what "seems" to you (someone who really doesn't know them) may not be at all what it "seems".

People who prefer privacy in their lives are certainly not creepy.....and in no way would I ever want to "know the story of that person"...unless they were forth coming willingly.
I like my privacy too....

Old 09-23-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Still no clue as to what you're babbling about. WTF biz of yours is it when someone "lost their cherry"?! OP, this is getting weirder and creepier, the more you explain.

No one has a past until they choose to share it with you. That's most people. Get over it.

Weird, OP....

Ha ha, I knew that sentence would get some attention.

Anyways...

Okay, I am gonna make a last attempt and call it a day.

I saw a very depressing movie in the early 2000s. I can´t remember the name. It was fimed in South Africa, in a area where there was a local cop, and a few black/mulatto locals. A small village on the coast, just after the Aparthead days...in the middle of nowhere.

So one day a middle aged white man appears. Classic vagabound kinda guy, mysterious past, hidding from something. So he and the cop engaged in psychological warfare...playing games and stuff, the cop was also keeping some dirty secrets. Anyways, the movie was one of those slow psychological movies that few people love and most people hate.

But the figure of the guy kinda got stuck in my mind. "The man with no past".

Another example from fiction could be Steppenwolf (Lonely Wolf, by Hermann Hesse).

Fast forward until yesterday night. The woman of Facebook incident. (read my previous post).

So I started thinking about the whole thing...could that woman think I was "a man with no past"? Was that woman just being a pain in the ass?

Not really that important. But I thought it would be a interesting idea to open a thread to see opinions about the concept of the "person with no past".

Okay...if aint clear enough now , I am really sorry, but there's nothing I can do.

I guess this thread will be closed soon like 99 per cent of my threads, so no worries anyways.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Javier77; 09-23-2017 at 09:39 AM..

Old 09-23-2017, 09:28 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,346,864 times
To me, it sounds like you are young, watch too many movies and need more life experiences to get a grasp of reality of how social interactions are supposed to work.
I realize the disconnect of different generations and their use of electronic media to achieve a sense of relevance and recognition of who they are and how they interrelate with each other.
The perception of the world they live in is based on how physical or electronic the window is that they are viewing what is perceived as reality through.

Sadly, most of what is watched on T.V. is not real but it becomes part of our life's experience in our minds as we search our life's experience for how to deal with our future. This virtual reality has had a huge change in our culture as to how we see the world around us.

Old 09-23-2017, 09:32 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,281,854 times
Clint Eastwood got famous from those three "Man with No Name" Sergio Leone movies.

I really can't relate to this thread. Everybody I know has a past and talks about it if it comes up in conversation. Most people filter it fairly heavily around people they don't know very well. I'm really careful about revealing anything that discloses my socioeconomic status around people I don't know.

Old 09-23-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickofDiamonds View Post
To me, it sounds like you are young, watch too many movies and need more life experiences to get a grasp of reality of how social interactions are supposed to work.
I realize the disconnect of different generations and their use of electronic media to achieve a sense of relevance and recognition of who they are and how they interrelate with each other.
The perception of the world they live in is based on how physical or electronic the window is that they are viewing what is perceived as reality through.

Sadly, most of what is watched on T.V. is not real but it becomes part of our life's experience in our minds as we search our life's experience for how to deal with our future. This virtual reality has had a huge change in our culture as to how we see the world around us.

I wish I was that young. I am an old school kinda guy, social interaction tend to be face to face.

I never used Facebook a lot, I am just using it lately, just in an experimental way.

Old 09-23-2017, 10:30 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,650,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier77 View Post
They have no social media. No pictures. Nobody seems to miss them. No place seems to be "home" for them.

They can act normal. Polite and civil. But you can´t help havng the feeling that this person has no past.

Maybe they are a coworker. Or the guy next door. Or a second hand car salesman.

When you meet someone like this, you feel like you wanna know the story of that person? Or just find that person creepy?
I don't find it creepy. My son, 37, is not on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. He is a very private person and doesn't want anyone in his business.

Why are you asking?

Old 09-23-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I don't find it creepy. My son, 37, is not on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. He is a very private person and doesn't want anyone in his business.

Why are you asking?

I was hoping you'd tell some secret about you son, that's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology