Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 05:51 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,380,912 times

Advertisements

I think it could also be that you're investing all your energy in work. So at home you may NEED that downtime.

My house is currently a mess. I know why. Part of it is because I am a force for chaos with pretty severe ADD. But I also work a long day with a lot of demands in terms of brain power and a lot of extra stress. I've got two pets I'm trying to keep stimulated and happy (I drive the dog to events and classes like a damn soccer mom and I'm planning a catio for the kitten). I have friendships to maintain and friends to support when they are down. I have a father with dementia I try to visit every day and whose administrative details require significant management. I try to get in a certain level of exercise. I'm watching my weight and my budget (doing ok financially this month and down 5 pounds). I also have a lot of home and car repairs going on right now and the billing dates are uncertain, so my budget could get thrown way out of whack. Then there's a trip to my hometown to tie up some issues for my father that will be headache and my psycho mother is trying to re-establish contact.

Last night I wanted to tackle some cleaning and cook some freezer meals (I love to cook). But I was just about at capacity and bumbling around - clumsy, forgetting where I put things, getting frustrated - so I instead sat on my new super-comfy couch and binge-watched Supernatural. Flicked my brain off and watched the pretty men on the screen, lol. It felt great, and for the first time in a long time, I slept all the way through the night - got almost 7 hours. I NEVER do that. I feel wonderful this morning. I still have a long list of imperative housework, but I feel good and energized -confident I can tackle everything flying at me today.

Your energies may be going entirely into your work or other things. The term "self care" is annoyingly new-agey to me, but it's an important concept. Think about how you take care of yourself and how you manage your life. Where are you putting in your greatest efforts and concentration? I'm fine with having a messy house if it means I can keep all the other balls in the air and I will prioritize self care over cleaning any day of the week. Give your brain time to rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 12:16 PM

19,036 posts, read 27,614,590 times
It is really very basic. it's subconscious protective response from your body. It is "taking break" from exhausting work. Otherwise, you'll burn out. No matter what they tell you, it is not all about citius, altius, fortius.

Old 10-06-2017, 07:39 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,595,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I think it could also be that you're investing all your energy in work. So at home you may NEED that downtime.

My house is currently a mess. I know why. Part of it is because I am a force for chaos with pretty severe ADD. But I also work a long day with a lot of demands in terms of brain power and a lot of extra stress. I've got two pets I'm trying to keep stimulated and happy (I drive the dog to events and classes like a damn soccer mom and I'm planning a catio for the kitten). I have friendships to maintain and friends to support when they are down. I have a father with dementia I try to visit every day and whose administrative details require significant management. I try to get in a certain level of exercise. I'm watching my weight and my budget (doing ok financially this month and down 5 pounds). I also have a lot of home and car repairs going on right now and the billing dates are uncertain, so my budget could get thrown way out of whack. Then there's a trip to my hometown to tie up some issues for my father that will be headache and my psycho mother is trying to re-establish contact.

Last night I wanted to tackle some cleaning and cook some freezer meals (I love to cook). But I was just about at capacity and bumbling around - clumsy, forgetting where I put things, getting frustrated - so I instead sat on my new super-comfy couch and binge-watched Supernatural. Flicked my brain off and watched the pretty men on the screen, lol. It felt great, and for the first time in a long time, I slept all the way through the night - got almost 7 hours. I NEVER do that. I feel wonderful this morning. I still have a long list of imperative housework, but I feel good and energized -confident I can tackle everything flying at me today.

Your energies may be going entirely into your work or other things. The term "self care" is annoyingly new-agey to me, but it's an important concept. Think about how you take care of yourself and how you manage your life. Where are you putting in your greatest efforts and concentration? I'm fine with having a messy house if it means I can keep all the other balls in the air and I will prioritize self care over cleaning any day of the week. Give your brain time to rest.

Now that makes me feel better, because I place my own health and fitness far above keeping my house neat. There are some "experts" who evaluate how well older people are able to care for themselves, by how neat and clean the inside of their houses are kept. But physical fitness and healthy living and eating habits don't count so much with them. That's just backwards, to me.

Old 10-07-2017, 12:08 PM

387 posts, read 358,751 times
I read that when you leave your home for work your blood pressure increases. The work environment triggers the release of stress hormones such as cortisol and adrenaline, and you're probably caffeinated as well. Your alertness rises. Then when you get home your mind and body relax and you have nobody to impress. That's a big part of it. Social situations also seem to bring out a different side of people from that of their home lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology