Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 07:22 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times

Advertisements

amazed that I am still around to even comment on it.I wouldn't wish my life trials on anyone!

Have been though, beyond Blessed with two amazing sons and friends that kept my life worth living.

Being able to experience the bond between my mom and myself during her last years were the icing on the cake to say...Thanks be for those special moments!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2017, 07:24 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
I have been immensely lucky in so many ways.

Old 10-08-2017, 08:42 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
I peaked about 24 years ago. I think I could name the day.
I am glad to still be sliding along, however.

Last edited by Crashj007; 10-08-2017 at 08:43 PM.. Reason: Slip sliding away.

Old 10-09-2017, 02:14 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,864,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
If you were to die this month would you consider your life to have been amazing,interesting or good? When you reflect back?
Or do you feel it hasn't been great or reached its peak yet?
Yes, I really have. And thanks so much for this wonderful thread because it reminds me to be grateful every day for this amazing life!

Old 10-09-2017, 03:00 AM

270 posts, read 210,869 times
My great life start when I'm 17--working at the pharmacy and as a student, have the money and freedom before all of my friends
regret age 22= the beginning of my illness, lost hope and dream, felt I lost everything I had work for

All the small things that I took for granted like holding a pen, dressing myself, walking, talking make me realize life is precious, health issue can struck at any age.

Right now my life is good because I am able to gain back what I've lost over years and is much more at peace and happier than before. I am working to reach the peak of my dream slowly to make it great again.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:08 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,529,770 times
I have had a good life as I have been lucky to enjoy good health, a loving family, and enonomic success. Life has not been easy but then I don't think it is meant to be. The older one gets, hopefully the more you come to appreciate the little things in life.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:56 AM

1,687 posts, read 1,283,043 times
Fixed Helicopters. Check.
Fired machine guns out of helicopters. Check.
Done both of those in hostile middle eastern countries. Check.
Had a FFM 3some. Check ...only once but, still check.
Having enough money to dispel car repairs. Check.
My son is healthy. Important Check.
My son tells me he loves me. Super Important Check.

My day to day might need some spicing up but, I got a decent highlight reel for my life.

Old 10-09-2017, 11:00 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
I peaked about 24 years ago. I think I could name the day.
I am glad to still be sliding along, however.
Oh, and happy to be here at his place and this point of time, considering I could have been born anyplace on the planet. The good old USA is a great place to be, even with the clouds.

Old 10-09-2017, 11:26 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
You know, I used to think my life was amazing and privileged and just so wonderfully lucky. I still do to a certain extent, but revelations about my mother and her capacity for malevolence have made me question the lucky and the privileged parts to a certain extent. I kind of pulled a crappy hand when it came to parents and didn't realize it until the age of 40. I wasn't physically abused to any significant degree, but my mother inflicted far more mental distress than I realized and called it love.

I remain grateful and feel like I've been fortunate, but in the past 9 months or so, I've come to realize that I muscled through a lot of obstacles in my life without even knowing it. In some ways, I'm amazed I'm not dead or in the nuthouse, but really a lot of the good things in my life are not the result of what I thought was my privilege (though there was quite a bit of that) or what everyone told me was my great mind, but just sheer stubborn tenacity.

My views on my life have evolved to the point that I no longer view it as the charmed existence I thought it was. YOu know that cartoon on facebook that shows a dog sitting at a table surrounded by flames with a big smile on his face, and he's saying "This is fine."? That was me. I see the flames now, and it sends me into an anxiety spiral when I realize how horribly wrong things could have gone. I also am even more grateful for the amazing people I count among my friends and family who have supported and encouraged me - in that regard I am so incredibly lucky.

But the fundamental belief that my mother viewed me as a priority and loved me more than anything else has been torched. I feel like I woke up from a 40-year dream. My dad was no Ward Cleaver, but I always knew where I stood with him. My mother was always shifting, and I never had a good grasp on what was happening with her, so I just stuck to believing what she told me no matter her actions.

I guess my life still IS amazing and lucky and all that good stuff. But maybe not for all the reasons or causes that I thought it was. It's less lucky with regard to its foundations and more lucky with regard to its outcomes.

Old 10-09-2017, 11:38 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,652,717 times
OP: You should define the terms "good" and "amazing" related to "life." It's very subjective.

I have had a "good" life, because I am still alive to talk about it.

I would not say it has been "amazing" in any way (other than I lived through some bad stuff and am still alive to tell it).

The people who claim to have had AMAZING lives, I question . . . are they in denial or extra special or what is their deal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology