Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 01:08 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,636,617 times

Advertisements

Yes, I am a three-time breast cancer survivor, I am married to the love of my life and wouldn't want to be on this planet without him, I have achieved a lot in my career and I have an amazing daughter and new son-in-law and I am about to be a grandma next year at the age of 43. I have a very good life now and I'm thankful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 02:13 PM

20,361 posts, read 14,636,289 times
I would lay claim to having had an amazing life so far. The grounds for use of that word, is...if I imagine, my young self at certain points, I've done more fun, cool stuff than I'd have ever hoped for. When my kids were little, I thought, "Well...this is it I guess. I will never be more than mediocre. Just another Mom in Iowa (lived there at the time)... I'll never do anything worth being remembered for, I can no longer have, afford, or enjoy adventures, I'll just keep on working and if I'm lucky get us out of poverty. Best I could do, if not what I'd hoped. Maybe my kids will do better one day."

Then I quit taking Depo Provera and the will to enjoy life came back, and I started doing so. I have befriended people I admire and gained their respect. I've enjoyed the colorful company and brilliant minds of so many lovely, creative people. I've been some places and seen some stuff. I've loved and lost and loved again. I have stories...hilarious stories, sad stories, outrageous stories. I've been lit on fire and conducted electricity, dined with monsters and slept with angels. From being the belle of the ball, to slumming with the gutter-punks. I've had a wealth of opportunities to accumulate wisdom, knowledge and experience, and a pretty good sense of humor. Of course I've had some hardships, but I've learned from those, too, and gained strength knowing what I can survive. I'm grateful for it all.

I have no regrets. I sometimes, though, have curiosity. I wish there were an omnipotent machine that had all the knowledge of human history and all the data and a real picture of our real world, and I could upload the contents of my mind and then in the program, change some detail or choice, and have it simulate and show me, where (by statistical probability) my life would have gone from there. I wonder how things could have been different sometimes. But not enough to actually wish for it.

Old 10-09-2017, 03:04 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,426,662 times
Everything is great when you're young and female...but as a male I'd say my best years were in my 20s and downhill after that.

Old 10-09-2017, 03:07 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Every day I wake up breathing and Mr. CSD, the rest of my family and my friends still love me is a great and amazing life.

Old 10-09-2017, 04:48 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,310,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
If you were to die this month would you consider your life to have been amazing,interesting or good? When you reflect back? Or do you feel it hasn't been great or reached its peak yet?
I think 'D) All of the Above'

I think my life has been absolutely amazing, interesting...and good.

It has also had some not-so-good (as may be the case in some lives) that although unexpected and heartbreaking, we've gotten through the tough times and I'm sure there may be more in the future.

Old 10-09-2017, 05:08 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,642,228 times
My life got better when I had children. Before that, life was so boring. It's amazing how much more meaningful life gets when you HAVE to do something, even when you don't want to do it.

And I'm making a difference in my job. Before I took over invoicing and receiving payments, the company was losing money because the lady in charge was very disorganized and had terrible follow-up. I heard about that and started my own A/P and A/R position and started new rules.

It's my family biz, so the company is important to me, and it will outlast that lady who's about to retire in a few years, so I had to keep it going for my future, not hers. Sadly, she felt like I was attacking her and has stopped speaking to me socially (she's a very talkative person), which hurts me on the inside terribly and I feel very self-conscious and awkward every day around her.

Old 10-09-2017, 05:30 PM

3,128 posts, read 2,253,831 times
By the amazing grace of God I have been able to escape a life of certain failure. I will die being eternally grateful for that alone.

Old 10-09-2017, 05:42 PM

26 posts, read 31,284 times
Amazing and not at all what I expected. I grew up Middle class, fell into poverty when my parents divorced-it was long and deep and I didn't escape it til I went to college. Through college I was very poor, and worked 2 jobs but thru studying hard I have had amazing experience in life. I never imagined traveling the world, having a great job, starting a business, having another business, marrying and having kids would be so great. I think one of the reasons I am so happy is that I married in my thirties so I was able to do what I wanted and travel before committing to another person and having kids. I also think one reason I am happy is that I am really grateful for what I have. I have never been a jealous person. I just work hard for what I want. I married someone with the same morals and values so raising kids is the usual but a little easier because we are on the same page. If I died tomorrow, I would miss my family.
I also don't shy away from helping people in need. I have always volunteered. I have lots of different connections and I think as I grow older these are important too. The only thing that is not amazing is I don't look like I did when I was 25.

Old 10-09-2017, 05:46 PM

26 posts, read 31,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
No. Due to being gay with fundamentalist parents living in the rural homophobic South, I have never really been able to be myself. I got one year out of the closet, but that year was tainted by constant harassment and manipulation by my parents. Eventually they won. I went back into the closet, moved back to Oklahoma, and did ex-gay conversion therapy.

I've thought about this a lot recently due to the fact that we are about to have a nuclear war and I will be shocked if most of us are still here in 2020. This isn't the life I wanted.
Oh please do find out how to be yourself. I hope that you will find a beautiful friend to help you along the way. Everyone has something beautiful to share.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:22 PM

3,646 posts, read 3,781,694 times
I've had a great time. Done and seen things I never even dreamed of doing. Some really bad things happened along the way, but those don't define me or my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology