Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 04:17 AM

134 posts, read 192,140 times

Advertisements

I have had this "Friend" in my life who cancels all the time for the last 3 out of 9 years I have known her and the like, why would someone say yes then bail last minute all the time like, "Im Sick" , "Something else came up" , "Im now busy" , "Im stressed" are just the countless excuses she has used to get out of plans with me. what would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 05:26 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,498,135 times
I had a friend like this. Same exact thing. Turned out she was suffering from depression. She would make the plans with the best of intentions, but then when the actual time came to leave, she couldn't do it. This all came out after I confronted her about it after the 5th time or so in a row she stood me up.

I believe a lot of social avoidance stems from mental health issues so that could be a possibility here.

Old 10-19-2017, 06:37 AM

6,303 posts, read 4,199,353 times
because they can't say no initially, or they are taking you for granted, mental health issues, anxiety, using you as a back up, they decide they can't be bothered, a power play, who knows. Like the other poster you should ask your friend about it.

You teach people how to treat you by what you're willing to accept or don't accept. I'd say your friend feels this is okay because you have let it go the past 3 years.

Old 10-19-2017, 07:31 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
I think she has some anxiety, PTSD, depression... something like that going on. That you know of, has she had anything traumatic happen in her life, in the last 2 or 3 years? Maybe a divorce, major sickness, death of a loved one?

Old 10-19-2017, 01:14 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,648,352 times
I had a friend like this too, once. She would even be the one suggesting some outing. When it came down to it, she never followed through. So we remained friends at work and through email, but nothing face-to-face. Just how it was. In the past now.

Old 10-19-2017, 01:16 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
I had a friend like this. Same exact thing. Turned out she was suffering from depression. She would make the plans with the best of intentions, but then when the actual time came to leave, she couldn't do it. This all came out after I confronted her about it after the 5th time or so in a row she stood me up.

I believe a lot of social avoidance stems from mental health issues so that could be a possibility here.
This is the reason.

I have done this before when going through tough times after losing my daughter. Good intentions when I accepted, but on the day, knowing if I went out in public I would not be able to stop myself from crying if I felt tired or overwhelmed.

Old 10-19-2017, 01:17 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
Don't count on them, you are learning I hope.

Old 10-19-2017, 01:19 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
A friend I have who consistently does this does so because she has significant social anxiety.

She will accept an invitation with the best of intentions, but then become overwhelmed by the prospect wham the time comes. She is also embarrassed by her anxiety, and often accepts invitations, knowing she'll cancel, rather than have a frank discussion about how she isn't comfortable accepting.

Old 10-19-2017, 03:41 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mej210390 View Post
I have had this "Friend" in my life who cancels all the time for the last 3 out of 9 years I have known her and the like, why would someone say yes then bail last minute all the time like, "Im Sick" , "Something else came up" , "Im now busy" , "Im stressed" are just the countless excuses she has used to get out of plans with me. what would you do?

1. She could have an anxiety disorder similar to agoraphobia, think she can go through with it, but ends up backing out of commitments. I had a friend like this. It was frustrating.

2. More likely, she is an unreliable person and a fickle "friend" who can not be counted upon.

I'd distance myself from her. I would not make ay further plans, because basically it's like flipping a coin - she may come though, and she may not.

I hope that you have other reliable friends. If not, please make some. All of these disappointments must be upsetting - an damaging to your self esteem.

You really deserve better than this.

Old 10-19-2017, 04:55 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,498,135 times
I would try to talk to her about it..she might reveal a little more. I just noticed you said the last 3 of 9 years...so was she reliable for the first 6? Has something changed? Might be some clues there. I would ask her about it straight out if you feel up to it

If not, let it lie. Don't make plans with her for a while. See what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology