Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2017, 12:04 PM

4,039 posts, read 3,775,084 times

Advertisements

The last time I remembered having a good dream was in 2013 when I really wanted 2014 to be different. I was stuck in a job with no movement and I had a hard time making and keeping friends. My dream was I saw a butterfly and things felt hopeful. I wanted a change in my life and had applied to grad school and got in. But when I went, it wasn't anything I thought it would be.

I moved away from my friends and family for the first time and had a hard time at school. It was incredibly depressing and I was suicidal. I wasn't doing well and couldn't make friends with anyone in my program. I went to group and it helped a lot. I learned about CBT (cognitive behavior therapy) and it helped. I have made many new friends since I lost all my old ones when I moved. I still don't like the career I ended up with but I currently really don't think I have it that bad. When I'm conscious I feel fine. I get anxiety most days but I don't let it get to me. I'm pretty good at staying calm and controlling my thoughts even when I feel like freaking out. I think I really have grown a lot since 2013 and changed for the better.

But I still get nightmares all the time. The best case scenario is when I'm sleeping and don't have any dreams. When I dream, it's a bad one. It's become the norm.

When I go to therapy I don't feel I really have anything I want to talk about and I feel like it's a waste of money. I had a bad childhood, had trouble keeping relationships, had trouble finding my passion... but I try not to let my past get to me. When I talk to people I'd rather talk about them.. maybe that's why I can't do therapy.. Bad thoughts from my past pop up a lot but I still stay calm. I hope I'll be able to have a good dream eventually.. does it sound like I have PTSD?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2017, 03:00 PM

8,177 posts, read 6,928,011 times
Do the nightmares have a recurring theme?

Do any of your dreams start out ok but then slide into the nightmare realm? Or are they bad from the get go?

Just my thoughts...A lot of times nightmares can reflect past or current fears. Or frustrations.
Sometimes it's things that need to be worked out. Or it's a current mindset that you have that is very strong and ends up dominating your dreams. I get that a lot in my dreams. I have a recurring dream and I know, without a doubt, it's because of my mindset. The way I think of things. The world itself, etc. It shows up in a very specific dream. Things that are on your mind a lot kind of in the background, tend to show theirselves more when you are sleeping and your conscious mind is at rest. It's like your minds way of bringing things forward that are lurking in the background all day. (I think. It makes sense to me, anyway.)

Old 12-25-2017, 03:33 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
I have more dreams than ever, but I don't consider them nightmares. I have interesting sleep nights. Last night was a bunch of stuff. I have more than ever since I take some sleep aids which include melatonin and homeopathic solution and some other sleep calmers. I'm older and never took the sleep stuff until about the last 10 yrs. All my earlier life I didn't have all these dreams and didn't take the sleep stuff.

Do you take sleep aids?

Old 12-25-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I have more dreams than ever, but I don't consider them nightmares. I have interesting sleep nights. Last night was a bunch of stuff. I have more than ever since I take some sleep aids which include melatonin and homeopathic solution and some other sleep calmers. I'm older and never took the sleep stuff until about the last 10 yrs. All my earlier life I didn't have all these dreams and didn't take the sleep stuff.

Do you take sleep aids?
No, I rarely do.

My dreams center around regret and things I dislike about myself. They come up when the situation presents itself. A lot of my dreams are also dreams of myself in the environment I fell asleep in. For example, last night, I spent the night at my brother's house. He has two dogs. I had a dream I was in the room I fell asleep in and an angry squirrel was living in the corner. It bothered me but I didn't know how to get rid of it so I didn't give it food and was hoping that it would starve to death. It not only not starved to death, but it transformed into a stronger animal and my brother's dog came in the room and started fighting with the squirrel. The dog got scratched and I was worried if he got rabies from the squirrel. I'm not scared of squirrels by the way. But I think the dream is trying to tell me that I don't tend to problems and instead hope that they would fix themselves if I ignore them long enough.

A couple days ago, my friend told me that she moved back to the town we met. In that town, there lives someone I used to date and regret having broken it off. Again, I had a dream I was in the place I fell asleep in and cyber stalking him. I used to cyber stalk him a lot but I barely do it anymore.

Old 12-25-2017, 07:16 PM

846 posts, read 1,020,526 times
Dreams are harmless, obsession with them are. They mean nothing. Let them occur and understand they cannot hurt you. dreams don’t actually mean anything. Instead they are merely electrical brain impulses that pull random thoughts and imagery from our memories. The theory I am referring to suggests that humans construct dream stories after they wake up. This is a natural attempt to make sense of it all.Sometimes I dream I am back in combat. It is a pleasure to wake up and become aware that part of my life was almost half a century ago.Sometimes I dream I am back at university and have a paper due that I haven’t completed (I always completed papers, on a Smith Corona to boot) , sometimes I dream I’m speaking to my parents, they’ve been gone for years. I am not trying to mock your situation, just letting you know you are not alone in your dreaming. The research is indicative that they hold little meaning despite what Sigmund proported. I hope you get some respite. You also state you cannot remember a good dream for quite some time, we have many dreams every time we sleep and do not remember most of them.

Old 12-25-2017, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiluver View Post
Dreams are harmless, obsession with them are. They mean nothing. Let them occur and understand they cannot hurt you. dreams don’t actually mean anything. Instead they are merely electrical brain impulses that pull random thoughts and imagery from our memories. The theory I am referring to suggests that humans construct dream stories after they wake up. This is a natural attempt to make sense of it all.Sometimes I dream I am back in combat. It is a pleasure to wake up and become aware that part of my life was almost half a century ago.Sometimes I dream I am back at university and have a paper due that I haven’t completed (I always completed papers, on a Smith Corona to boot) , sometimes I dream I’m speaking to my parents, they’ve been gone for years. I am not trying to mock your situation, just letting you know you are not alone in your dreaming. The research is indicative that they hold little meaning despite what Sigmund proported. I hope you get some respite. You also state you cannot remember a good dream for quite some time, we have many dreams every time we sleep and do not remember most of them.
Hm.. interesting. It just occurred to me that I'm a huge fan of surrealist fiction, particularly ones having to do with dreams. I wonder if my dreams are conjuring up what I want to see because I'm attracted to weird things like that? Even though I have also had dreams where I wake up crying.

Old 12-25-2017, 11:06 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GummyShark View Post
No, I rarely do.

My dreams center around regret and things I dislike about myself. They come up when the situation presents itself. A lot of my dreams are also dreams of myself in the environment I fell asleep in. For example, last night, I spent the night at my brother's house. He has two dogs. I had a dream I was in the room I fell asleep in and an angry squirrel was living in the corner. It bothered me but I didn't know how to get rid of it so I didn't give it food and was hoping that it would starve to death. It not only not starved to death, but it transformed into a stronger animal and my brother's dog came in the room and started fighting with the squirrel. The dog got scratched and I was worried if he got rabies from the squirrel. I'm not scared of squirrels by the way. But I think the dream is trying to tell me that I don't tend to problems and instead hope that they would fix themselves if I ignore them long enough.

A couple days ago, my friend told me that she moved back to the town we met. In that town, there lives someone I used to date and regret having broken it off. Again, I had a dream I was in the place I fell asleep in and cyber stalking him. I used to cyber stalk him a lot but I barely do it anymore.
I think so too. And just like in real life, the problem got bigger.

My Dr told me there is medication for nightmares I was like get out of town. I'm not down with taking something for everything.

I let my subconscious do what it is meant to do. Work on things for me.

Old 12-26-2017, 06:17 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,054,839 times
instead of taking a pill, look at what you are consuming. I find if I take a lot of B vitamins I get very vivid dreams. That is why I only take a half of a daily multivitamin a day. Also meat, which has B vitamins, gives me vivid dreams. I normally do not eat a lot of it but when I do, wow.

Not saying this will apply to you but it may. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology