Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 06:52 PM

50,798 posts, read 36,501,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
Also to add: Just because a man disagrees with a woman doesn't mean he hates women. I see this a lot on here when a man disagrees with a woman and he's treated with insults and accused of misogyny. Some people are flat out ridiculous.
Yes, I agree with you. I see many threads where they toss out terms like misogynist, feminist, even terms like sociopath and narcissist, and try to apply it to a large group of people. People who truly fit the criteria for those labels are really not that common in actuality.

Every woman who complains about a man or men is not a feminist (in fact there are male feminists too, as it is mostly a political term) and every man who complains about women is not a misogynist.

The bitter men are not really misogynists, true misogyny is really closer to racism than just being angry about women's behavior. It's a belief system toward an entire group, not just some individual members of that group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 06:54 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
No, there is not.

Viewing a woman as a source of unpaid domestic labor is misogynistic. You just have to deal with that fact about your world view.
YOUR view is that it is unpaid domestic labor.

To others it is part of a loving and balanced relationship where every contribution by both parties is necessary and valued.

And shocker: Some men AND women actually prefer to have kids raised at home and not dumped in day care when they are 8 weeks old. That's not unpaid domestic labor, that's being a PARENT.

What is also hilarious is what is THE first question a woman asks a man?

WHAT DO YOU DO FOR A LIVING?

She wants to know how much money he makes. /facepalm/

Old 01-08-2018, 09:33 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,308,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes, I agree with you. I see many threads where they toss out terms like misogynist, feminist, even terms like sociopath and narcissist, and try to apply it to a large group of people. People who truly fit the criteria for those labels are really not that common in actuality.

Every woman who complains about a man or men is not a feminist (in fact there are male feminists too, as it is mostly a political term) and every man who complains about women is not a misogynist.

The bitter men are not really misogynists, true misogyny is really closer to racism than just being angry about women's behavior. It's a belief system toward an entire group, not just some individual members of that group.
When I think of a misogynist, sociopath, and a narcissist. I think of George Sodini and Elliot Rodger. Both went on mass shootings cause of rejection by women. Even the Columbine shooters come to mind as well. Actual misogynists are very evil people.

Old 01-08-2018, 11:21 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,105,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
When I think of a misogynist, sociopath, and a narcissist. I think of George Sodini and Elliot Rodger. Both went on mass shootings cause of rejection by women. Even the Columbine shooters come to mind as well. Actual misogynists are very evil people.
This is very true.

Perspective of a (retired) call-girl:

IMO: True misogyny in much less common, as a trait in men, than what most people would think. I have interacted with men from all walks of life & from every stage of life & in a role that is well known to attract misogynists & my experience was that it was very, very, rare.

I feel like men are the more emotionally vulnerable gender & that they work hard at hiding that, both from women & other men. It seems like the more a man behaves like an a$$hat; the more vulnerable they are.

I can’t imagine what it’s like to put yourself out there; day after day ... sometimes for years, just to get shot down, get back up & try it again. And that goes for married men too. It must have been much easier, decades ago, for men to feel not just like “a†man; but like “the†man.

Old 01-09-2018, 12:33 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,884,211 times
I don't know if that means much, because men who pay for sex probably are much more likely than other men to be lonely and/or emotionally repressed.

Still, I tend to believe that true misogyny is uncommon. There's a very simple explanation: men and women are the same species. It would be hard to hate all women and not nearly hate all men, and that kind of misanthropic mindset is unlikely to make for much of a life except for the subset of sociopaths who are smart, socially adept, and fairly self-controlled.

Old 01-09-2018, 01:17 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,065,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
Something you see here a lot on CD and in life: the man who does not like or respect women but desperately wants one in his life and wonders why self-respecting women don't want to be with him.

How and why does this happen? How can these guys realize that their own worldview is the reason they are alone. It could be a chicken or the egg thing; a bad experience soured them on women in general...but that seems rare.

And yes, this same thing goes both ways. We all know women who don't like or respect men but want a man in their life.

Thoughts?
Whatever.

Old 01-09-2018, 02:03 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,908,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Whatever.
TROLL ALERT: If you look at the list of this person's posts, they do this every time. Wow: did you think nobody would notice? Having fun?

#5:
And you are trolling through the forum, making brief, nonsensical comments here and there, out of malice and spite. What a troll does is insert some offensive or confrontational remark in an otherwise pleasant thread. And you're doing this primarily for two reasons: (1) to draw attention to yourself; and (2) to enjoy the incoming show as people argue with you and each other. You are getting a kick out of hurting and upsetting people. Go away!

See:
Internet Trolls Really Are Horrible People: Narcissistic, Machiavellian, psychopathic, and sadistic
Internet troll personality study: Machiavellianism, narcissism, psychopathy, sadism.

Old 01-09-2018, 07:28 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I think what gets missed is that, like Racism, there are very few died in the wool, head shaving sheet wearing cross burning racists, or even people that share there views even if they don't care to take it on as a cause.

What's more common are a couple milder misogynistic views or tendencies or behaviors. Really, its no different than a white woman that wouldn't identify as racist but yet would still call the cops on a black guy in her neighborhood that she didn't recognize.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:01 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
TROLL ALERT: If you look at the list of this person's posts, they do this every time. Wow: did you think nobody would notice? Having fun?

#5:
And you are trolling through the forum, making brief, nonsensical comments here and there, out of malice and spite. What a troll does is insert some offensive or confrontational remark in an otherwise pleasant thread. And you're doing this primarily for two reasons: (1) to draw attention to yourself; and (2) to enjoy the incoming show as people argue with you and each other. You are getting a kick out of hurting and upsetting people. Go away!

See:
Internet Trolls Really Are Horrible People: Narcissistic, Machiavellian, psychopathic, and sadistic
Internet troll personality study: Machiavellianism, narcissism, psychopathy, sadism.
Err... Whatever. LOL

I've had my moments in life where I didn't have a particularly high opinion of women. Any man who has been financially wiped out in a divorce is going to have those days.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:15 AM

20,393 posts, read 14,667,898 times
There is another thing I find difficult to explain or describe that is far more common than actual misogyny, and also causes lots of problems for men who do it...but sometimes don't realize they are, or how they come off.

It's when guys have a hard time seeing women (and often other men) as ~people~ who are independently living lives not defined by their roles in relation to the man's own perspective. I see this in a man's approach to women as a WHAT, as interchangeable need-fulfillment units, as an entitlement to his success as a functioning adult male or a "nice" guy or what have you. No one wants to be seen as a what. Every one of us has a whole world behind our eyeballs, we aren't non-player characters in a video game. As I mentioned some of these guys see other men similarly as competition or threat-units.

And this is not always a bitter or hateful thing, it's more a kind of social blindness in my opinion. Even men I've heard talk who figure that if they could just get their foot in the door with an attractive female, then any ensuing relationship would work out just great, because of course it would. He's a nice guy! What does he have to fear. Not taking into account that this black silhouette human cardboard cut out with a question mark in the middle, representing this hypothetical "female" he has not yet even met, may even be a terrible person who should never reproduce, or anything else. The fact that she has a whole life story to her past, present and future, like every human. It's as though she only begins to exist when he gets her and then of course she will get with the program and be whatever he needs...if only he can get the chance.

I think that too often this leads to either failure to get many chances in the first place, or failure to have successful relationships once one is involved in them (often a lack of empathy to one's partner and truly knowing them plays a role) which then brings those guys to an angry, bitter place, because the females fail to live up to their expectations....because their expectations failed to factor in the many variables that make up a human being.

I don't know if I'm even making sense in trying to describe this concept. I hope so.

It is nearly a form of non-malicious narcissism, a basic difficulty in understanding empathy and the perspectives and nuances of other humans. Maybe involving something akin to autism spectrum or Asperger's type brain traits?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology