Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 11:53 AM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
It's a cycle. This usually involves people who are socially awkward and unsuccessful at dating or making friends. Bitterness sets in and they begin to hate the people who are rejecting them, even though they still want romantic interests or friends in their life.

I think this issue will always be with us, unfortunately.
Yes, this was a big issue when I was online dating. I would read profiles and it was so clear the guy was bitter, I'd read it and rather than describing himself and what he's looking for, it's a long diatribe about everything he hates about women and what he refuses to do in a relationship and what he won't tolerate in a woman....I'd think "Boy this guy really hates women". Why on earth would I want to date that guy?

I think many of them believe women NEVER get burned in relationships, and that they are perpetual victims.

My fiance got burned beyond belief (lifetime alimony) but while he hates her, he doesn't punish all women for her. He treated me like gold from the very beginning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 12:41 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,425,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nald View Post
Same goes for women who hate men.

The major difference is that women who hate men do not want to date them. Men who hate women still want to date them, because men feel entitled to attention from women regardless of whether they like women or not.

Old 01-06-2018, 12:42 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,425,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Hmmm...interesting point. I think, though, we have to be careful about the labeling. Not every man who wants a traditional wife is a misogynist. He may hate independent women and he might be labeled a misogynist, but he doesn't hate all women, whereas a misogynist actually does, and not just the independent ones.
Er, no, only being OK with a woman who is essentially a house slave is a misogynist point of view no matter what way you look at it.

Old 01-06-2018, 01:01 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,407,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
Er, no, only being OK with a woman who is essentially a house slave is a misogynist point of view no matter what way you look at it.
Ugh, no. There's a difference between a guy saying that all women are only good for is being a house slave, and a guy preferring a more traditional woman (staying at home, taking care of kids and house, etc.).

One is being misogynistic, the other is simply a preference for a relationship.

Old 01-06-2018, 01:20 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
Ugh, no. There's a difference between a guy saying that all women are only good for is being a house slave, and a guy preferring a more traditional woman (staying at home, taking care of kids and house, etc.).

One is being misogynistic, the other is simply a preference for a relationship.
Right, and the most important thing is that the more traditional roles are mutual decision made with respect, not a power trip based on contempt.

Old 01-06-2018, 01:55 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,733,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
Something you see here a lot on CD and in life: the man who does not like or respect women but desperately wants one in his life and wonders why self-respecting women don't want to be with him.

How and why does this happen? How can these guys realize that their own worldview is the reason they are alone. It could be a chicken or the egg thing; a bad experience soured them on women in general...but that seems rare.

And yes, this same thing goes both ways. We all know women who don't like or respect men but want a man in their life.

Thoughts?
A lot of these kinds of guys started out being nice and respectful to girls, only to be mocked and sneered at and made to feel like chumps.

THAT is where most of the derision and hostility comes from.

Old 01-06-2018, 02:00 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
Naw. Some see the advantage of one person working and one person taking care of all the day to day stuff.

My husband preferred I stay home. For a bunch of reasons, some of them medical problems I have, others just it works easier.

We went that direction and it works great for us. BUT, if I decided to go back to work he would totally support that too.

And no, I was no house slave. My husband respects my capabilities, so a lot of the decisions are mine, including financial (he is the only one with income), but I am very good at managing finances, planning and making sure investments are made and such.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-06-2018, 02:04 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Right, and the most important thing is that the more traditional roles are mutual decision made with respect, not a power trip based on contempt.
Well said, but I can't Rep you.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-06-2018, 02:28 PM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
If a misogynist wants a family it can be a real problem these days. So they get really bitter because they would have to change their attitude in order to have a stable marriage and family. They want to do it the old way where they can have a wife and kids and also cheat with their secretary and the wife can't leave.

Old 01-06-2018, 02:32 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
A lot of these kinds of guys started out being nice and respectful to girls, only to be mocked and sneered at and made to feel like chumps.

THAT is where most of the derision and hostility comes from.
But what one could ask is what kind of women are these men associating with who are mocking and sneering and making them feel like chumps? And why would they feel hostility toward these women rather than pity and relief? What awful people. He dodged a bullet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology