Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 07:19 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Oh no, oh how sad.

But I agree that this doesn't sound mentally ill, it just sounds more instinctive than domesticated. I had a girlie cat like this once. She used to terrorize our boy, it was so sad. We were constantly protecting him. But it was so easy to see it was a territorial thing. It wasn't just random and odd.

I'm really sorry about losing your li'l girl.

I actually have seen at pet adoptions, "No other pets in the home, please" probably because of this issue.
Thank you. If I had known he was actually dangerous to her, not just merely annoying, I would never have adopted him. Would have been better for him too. Shelter here has volunteers to get into rescue, and at a foster home the need to be an only cat would have been evident.

Rescue people sort of shamed me. Oh, you have a stray cat that needs a home? I have 22. Made me feel like I have to do my part or something. And of course once you have them in it's hard to let go.

I thought he would chill out. I thought he was playing, just rougher than she wanted. I didn't know until I inherited this other cat from my Mom, and WITNESSED him attacking him to prevent him from coming inside that is what happened to baby-girl.

Someday I have to buck up and take him to the shelter and inform them he must be an only cat. I'm not in emergency over it since this other cat can stand up for himself better.

This part was funny, at first baby girl attacked him. STAY OUT OF MY HOUSE! He - like a total sociopath - pretended to be like wow, your cat is very ill mannered. But see? I am sitting here docile as can be. I certainly did nothing to provoke this.

The minute he was comfortable in here, she went to attack him, and he simply jumped over her. Then he went on the offensive, and the rest of course is not funny at all.

I've swung back the other way - he is a sociopath and that IS a personality disorder - ugh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 07:26 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Jen, it was wrong of the shelter not to let you know. I don't believe there's any way in heck they didn't get a whiff of his territorial/dangerous behavior. There is just no way. He was in with other animals. Even if they literally never let him out of the cage there would have been severe signs of hostility and distress at the smell of other animals, and other signs.

I believe the same of Mittens and people. There's no way they didn't know - they were handling him...come on. And same thing with the guilt. Just so wrong. Maybe we should have known when the heavy-handed guilt came on that there was a reason they were trying so hard to get him out of that shelter...? You know? But I mean you see the pet and your heart breaks.

For our girl who attacked our boy all the time, we found her under the wheel well of a garbage truck, freezing, so that's nobody's "fault" per se.

I don't think it's sociopathic when a cat territorially attacks other cats but I did read - when trying desperately to get Mittens not to tear us apart daily - that if kittens don't socialize properly this can happen. Not only are they not social in normal "cat" ways as an adult, but as kittens if they didn't play with other kittens, and get bitten as a "warning," they never learned to automatically curb when they were getting really aggressive.

Mittens was another case than that...but I do remember reading that for pets who bite other pets too hard while "playing".

Old 01-22-2018, 08:21 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,170,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Size of a hen's egg?...I've never heard this. However science can explain very nicely how the Universe was created. So far I've never seen religious ideology stand up to scientific facts.
Nothing appeared magically on earth and there is no magic associated with evolution. The only magic you must be confusing with scientific facts are the magic myths written in religious books about how the Universe came into existence and how all species were created suddenly and simultaneously, and mass extinctions were caused by a great world wide flood. LOL
I think believing in myths by way of confirmation basis is a form of mental disorder.
I'm talking about the big bang theory of the creation of the universe. Not the TV show.
Actually I said hen's egg to give the hypothesizers a bit of wiggle room, since their concept has all this matter magically--excuse me, miraculously!--originating from a chunk of Miracle Dust a few mm in diameter:

The most popular theory of our universe's origin centers on a cosmic cataclysm unmatched in all of history—the big bang. This theory was born of the observation that other galaxies are moving away from our own at great speed, in all directions, as if they had all been propelled by an ancient explosive force.

WHAT IS THE BIG BANG THEORY?
Before the big bang, scientists believe the entire vastness of the observable universe, including all of its matter and radiation, was compressed into a hot, dense mass just a few millimeters across. This nearly incomprehensible state is theorized to have existed for just a fraction of the first second of time.

Big bang proponents suggest that some 10 billion to 20 billion years ago, a massive blast allowed all the universe's known matter and energy—even space and time themselves—to spring from some ancient and unknown type of energy.

The theory maintains that, in the instant—a trillion-trillionth of a second—after the big bang, the universe expanded with incomprehensible speed from its pebble-size origin to astronomical scope. Expansion has apparently continued, but much more slowly, over the ensuing billions of years.

Scientists can't be sure exactly how the universe evolved after the big bang. Many believe that as time passed and matter cooled, more diverse kinds of atoms began to form, and they eventually condensed into the stars and galaxies of our present universe.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/s...-the-universe/

I don't recall mentioning any religious ideology in my post.

I do recall ridiculing the fish theory and there are plenty of other absurd evolutionary hypotheses which stretch logic and ridiculousness to the limits and beyond. Now tell me, have you noticed any fish crawling out of the ocean and sprouting legs and lungs lately?

You make huge assumptions, apparently your world view includes two types of people: bible-thumpers and the wise, rational scientific types. LOL back.

And your post is a textbook example of confirmation bias.

I was simply saying that we do NOT know how the universe was created, nor do we know how critters, including humans, developed. But thinking The Big Bang Hypothesis is undisputed fact or that evolution is undisputed fact is a symptom of replacing logic with wishful thinking.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:57 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,260,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
I'm talking about the big bang theory of the creation of the universe. Not the TV show.
Actually I said hen's egg to give the hypothesizers a bit of wiggle room, since their concept has all this matter magically--excuse me, miraculously!--originating from a chunk of Miracle Dust a few mm in diameter:
We know that particles pop into and out of existence all the time due to energy that's present....this means that no miracle dust was required for the Big Bang to occur.
Quote:
The most popular theory of our universe's origin...[snip]

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/s...-the-universe/
Thanks but I don't need a lesson on the Big Bang and if I did I would not be using National Geographic as my source.
Quote:
I don't recall mentioning any religious ideology in my post.

I do recall ridiculing the fish theory and there are plenty of other absurd evolutionary hypotheses which stretch logic and ridiculousness to the limits and beyond.
Your posts mirror the same words as the creationists on the religious forum, and, as they do, demonstrate no understanding of evolution.
Quote:
Now tell me, have you noticed any fish crawling out of the ocean and sprouting legs and lungs lately?
Kindly start a thread in the Science forum about Evolution and I will gladly meet you over there...be careful not to interject creationists beliefs or your posts will be deleted since creationism is a religious ideology. Religious ideology is not allowed in the Science forum. Additionally, I am not aware of anyone who has ever corrected or outperformed science by employing theology.
Quote:
You make huge assumptions, apparently your world view includes two types of people: bible-thumpers and the wise, rational scientific types. LOL back.
LOL that is not what my world view includes. You are simply ascribing a personal narrative to me that is false.
Quote:
And your post is a textbook example of confirmation bias.
You don't understand the term confirmation bias if you're claiming that a person who understands objective scientific discoveries suffers from confirmation bias.
Quote:
I was simply saying that we do NOT know how the universe was created, nor do we know how critters, including humans, developed.
Yes we most certainly know these things. There is an enormous amount of evidence out there if you care to take a look.
Quote:
But thinking The Big Bang Hypothesis is undisputed fact or that evolution is undisputed fact is a symptom of replacing logic with wishful thinking.
First you don't even know that the Big Bang is a well established Scientific Theory...nor do you know that Evolution is a well established Scientific Theory. Until you get this right there is no reasoning or logical discussions that can be held with you on this topic. If you care the carry on with this discussion I recommend you start a thread in the Science forum or the Space forum.

Sorry folks for the huge deviation from the original topic.

Evolution ties in nicely with the behaviors that seem difficult to understand in other animal species such as cats appearing to be "playing" with their prey out of cruelness to make the prey suffering longer, animal behavior is tied to traits that are acquired during evolution...many of their traits are easily misunderstood or interpreted incorrectly if a person is unaware of the evolutionary history of the animal.

Last edited by Matadora; 01-22-2018 at 11:06 PM..

Old 01-22-2018, 10:06 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Jen, it was wrong of the shelter not to let you know. I don't believe there's any way in heck they didn't get a whiff of his territorial/dangerous behavior. There is just no way. He was in with other animals. Even if they literally never let him out of the cage there would have been severe signs of hostility and distress at the smell of other animals, and other signs.

I believe the same of Mittens and people. There's no way they didn't know - they were handling him...come on. And same thing with the guilt. Just so wrong. Maybe we should have known when the heavy-handed guilt came on that there was a reason they were trying so hard to get him out of that shelter...? You know? But I mean you see the pet and your heart breaks.

For our girl who attacked our boy all the time, we found her under the wheel well of a garbage truck, freezing, so that's nobody's "fault" per se.

I don't think it's sociopathic when a cat territorially attacks other cats but I did read - when trying desperately to get Mittens not to tear us apart daily - that if kittens don't socialize properly this can happen. Not only are they not social in normal "cat" ways as an adult, but as kittens if they didn't play with other kittens, and get bitten as a "warning," they never learned to automatically curb when they were getting really aggressive.

Mittens was another case than that...but I do remember reading that for pets who bite other pets too hard while "playing".
I didn't get him from a shelter. I fed outdoor cats and he wanted IN. I didn't want any cat at that moment. My other one had been PTS a mere two weeks before (fatal illness, she was very young, I was crushed). I wanted me and baby girl to be on our own for quite sometime (and she did too).

I called every rescue group, willing to pay all up-front costs if they would take him, and they were like ha! We have cats coming out of our ears.

The reason I say 'sociopath' is he was deceiving. He acted like my baby girl was wild for no reason. He literally sat there with 'big eyes'. Totally 'innocent'. Didn't lift a pay in self-defense. She knew better. Or she wouldn't have been attacking him! She didn't attack the sweet girl I found outside and had brought in to stay before. She never attacked any cat in her life.

Poor baby girl. She tried to tell me he was bad news. Of course I thought she had just become territorial.

I'm sorry the shelter didn't tell you anything about Mittens! I promise that this one's sheet will say exactly why he needs to be an only cat. (or I will have him PTS). I am not inflicting him on another family who might have a sweet baby unable to fend for himself or herself.

For now I just put up with him. The other cat is holding his own. But if he gets another gash, that could change. This cat's life hinges on whether he refrains from injuring the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology