Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2018, 10:18 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,721,696 times

Advertisements

Well first off some things to say.

1. I am still quite young, I am 16

2. While my personal life plays a bigger role, I feel world trends and my personal life of course play as huge factors

Now, onto the way I try to embrace change. Being raised by a single mother makes things harder and it makes it harder than ever to liberate from the family. I been raised without my dad for 10 years and haven't seen him in 9 years.

So I try to get more independent. I am working on a social life, etc etc

Really there is too much to explain

As for the 2nd factor, I feel I am growing in quite a dark generation and that sedentary lifestyles are taking over Western civilization. A lot of trends and memes and ideas these days just come out from the randomhole. And some of them are incredibly forced, stupid and uncreative. Some are funny, but yeah not as funny as memes were back in 2007-2011. Also, our culture is starting to become very superficial, wasted and just tribalistic I feel

So, my question is given the way I feel regarding these 2 things, how do I embrace myself for more change in my life? I know things aren't always gonna be perfect. I also barely travelled and now a lot of my dreams of travelling are dead due to increase in danger and crime. So that also plays a big role too.
Thnx in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 12:24 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,293,021 times
I would get into personal development. If you find the right material at your young age you can have a fabulous life. A few good places to start would be Leo's videos from the website actualized.org. Also the subreddit called "the red pill" though be careful about believing everything they say there, as not all women are really like that as they say, just about 80% of them. It can save you a lot of heartache from obsessing over women or women chasing. Women should be a secondary part of your life with your hobbies and passions being main goals. Sex drive is a craving and cravings can throw your life off course if obsessed over or done in excess.

Look into mindfulness, visualization, and reprogramming the subconscious. Habits are formed by repetition. It's said it takes 60 days for a new habit reach the point where it becomes muscle memory and is done automatically. Cultivate a mindset of abundance, courage, peace, and acceptance towards others. If you find yourself being lazy, negative, or angry, don't fight them, merely observe them and realize that they are part of you, there because of genetics, upbringing, or past repetition that created these parts of you. After acknowledging them focus on the positive goals. I've come to see my personality as a very impersonal aspect, formed by past habits and experiences. It's become a game to see how I can hack it to change it into a more desirable state.

Start lifting. Focus on compound lifts like deadlifts, squats, bench press, rows, and pull ups. Use perfect form and don't obsess over using too much weight with sloppy form to look macho. Make a good diet a habit. Ditch chips, candy bars, and non diet soda. Be comfortable with discomfort. Don't give into every craving. Cultivate a mindset of discipline and long term goals. They pay off many more fold than giving into short term temptations. The following site is great for the beginning weight lifter.. read all the various articles.

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/body...workouts-suck/

For the scientific minded this is a great book on how the human brain forms habits and how to modify them. This worked much better for me than all the spiritual self help books talking about enlightenment did.

https://www.amazon.com/Rewire-Your-A.../dp/1626251134

All this assumes you are a man. For women I would give slightly different advice. Good luck and enjoy the ride! Your journey is still ahead of you and the sky is the limit. Be careful about wasting time because it goes FAST!

Last edited by sholomar; 01-31-2018 at 12:38 AM..

Old 01-31-2018, 06:09 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
So, my question is given the way I feel regarding these 2 things, how do I embrace myself for more change in my life? I know things aren't always gonna be perfect. I also barely travelled and now a lot of my dreams of travelling are dead due to increase in danger and crime. So that also plays a big role too.
Thnx in advance
My advice is to spend less time on the internet. Seriously.

Work on developing your personal community with real-life people. Spend more time in the real world. Get a part-time job in your neighborhood. You will expand your world view just a little bit, in a way that is not too intimidating.

Once you build meaningful relationships with non-family members and see what life is like from their perspective, you will have a more positive and optimistic approach about the world.

The internet has a subtly depressing influence. Spend less time looking at memes and more time building your own personal community.

Old 01-31-2018, 06:43 AM

865 posts, read 1,489,694 times
Can you look into part time work as another poster stated, and maybe take up running as a hobby (or maybe hiking)? It is a great way to get independent financially speaking at least, as well as to promote a less sedentary lifestyle.

Old 01-31-2018, 10:00 AM

3,255 posts, read 1,721,696 times
Thanks guys, I am trying to work on getting fresh air

The phone has become such an essential in our lives.

But yes I am trying to look for the wisest ways to manage my time.

Old 01-31-2018, 10:10 AM

4,189 posts, read 3,403,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post

Work on developing your personal community with real-life people. Spend more time in the real world. Get a part-time job in your neighborhood. You will expand your world view just a little bit, in a way that is not too intimidating.

Once you build meaningful relationships with non-family members and see what life is like from their perspective, you will have a more positive and optimistic approach about the world.

The internet has a subtly depressing influence. Spend less time looking at memes and more time building your own personal community.
This.

Besides, you're only 16! You seem to be a thinking sort; life will work itself out.

Old 01-31-2018, 10:55 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
The phone has become such an essential in our lives.
The phone is essential - for SOME things. But you aren't required to use it like a pacifier, scrolling through memes any time you're not currently occupied. That's just a habit that you have to break because it DOES affect your mood and psyche.

Old 01-31-2018, 12:01 PM

1,299 posts, read 823,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post

Well said! I agree with all of your points.

I shudder when I think of the internet existing when I was a teenager. For my particular personality it would have been a tough thing to use positively and responsibly.

Old 01-31-2018, 12:50 PM

9,423 posts, read 11,173,162 times
I read a lot as a kid and teen. Magazines, books, etc. From there I learned that exercise is Good. But I'd always been outside playing. After we moved and I had no friends, I got a bicycle.

I read Ken Cooper's "Aerobics" and took up running in my 20s.

I read an article in Mechanics Illustrated (or similar, Pop Sci maybe) about isometric exercise, featuring a pro football player IIRC. I used their plans and made myself an isometric exerciser, using a dowel, a hose clamp, a chain, a threaded J hook, and a 2 x 4 x 30. In gym class that fall, my standing broad jump had increased two feet and I'd gained 10 lbs.

I've had weights since my teen years. Friends and I used to gather in our garage during the summer or after work and lift two or three times a week.

Git movin!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology