Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 04:30 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,853,525 times

Advertisements

There is a post about people who "hate" cats and the psychology of it all. I don't hate any animal and certainly put myself before any animal, For Sure.

Just heard the final word on why a neighbor lady did not go to rehabs after 2 hip replacements. I thought it was the doctor being negligent with her rehab and a friend just told me, she would NOT go to rehabs as she would NOT leave her cats nor have anyone take care of them. She has PLENTY of money so that is not an issue. She is bright in many ways but the common sense???

She now lives with 2 recent hip replacements and did NO rehab except for some paper from the doctor.

And does not walk, after these major surgeries.

What about this psychology?

Old 03-01-2018, 04:56 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,288,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
There is a post about people who "hate" cats and the psychology of it all. I don't hate any animal and certainly put myself before any animal, For Sure.

Just heard the final word on why a neighbor lady did not go to rehabs after 2 hip replacements. I thought it was the doctor being negligent with her rehab and a friend just told me, she would NOT go to rehabs as she would NOT leave her cats nor have anyone take care of them. She has PLENTY of money so that is not an issue. She is bright in many ways but the common sense???

She now lives with 2 recent hip replacements and did NO rehab except for some paper from the doctor.

I am guessing she has impaired judgement. It is too bad she does not have family to watch over her.

If she has many cats, you can call the city to report a possible violation, or you can call police to do a welfare check. She might be endangering herself.

Old 03-01-2018, 05:58 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,853,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I am guessing she has impaired judgement. It is too bad she does not have family to watch over her.

If she has many cats, you can call the city to report a possible violation, or you can call police to do a welfare check. She might be endangering herself.
She doesn't have many cats in her apt, maybe 2 I think but she feeds all the neighborhood cats. I had heard some time ago that a neighbor in the back gave her $1000 to feed all the stray cats.

She has no family and I think she's 79 and recently a long lost son came into her life, but that's beside the point.

Normal stay in hospital after these replacements is 3 nights, but she even pushed the doctor to let her go home in 2 nights after each one. She would not leave the cats more than she had to.

She didn't walk before the replacements and still does not....rolls on rollater as she did before.

Hard for me to fathom this thinking. I was feeling a concern for all she went thru with these surgeries and now I just throw my hands up in disbelief.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 03-01-2018 at 06:08 PM..

Old 03-01-2018, 05:58 PM

8,092 posts, read 10,691,814 times
I think the issue with people with too many cats; too many pets in general is in their mis-understanding of this simple principle:

Pets will "love" you as long as you are the one who is feeding them and giving them shelter. That is all. THAT IS THE EXTENT OF IT. If someone else starts feeding them, and sheltering them. they will "love" that person just as much.

Animals are all about survival. They have no emotional attachment to us as humans. None at all. You must not read so much into the human-animal relationship. They are not thinking, feeling beings as humans are. Reach out to other human beings, not animals. Don't think substituting "human" relations with "animal" ones is the same. It is not. They are merely what they are. Animals only.

I see far too many people who misread the animal relationship as so much more than what it really it. It borders on mental illness, in my opinion.

Old 03-02-2018, 02:57 AM

23,177 posts, read 26,283,007 times
Hope this is a lesson for you not to rant and rave about bad doctors because of some neighbor's situation and use them as an example .

Old 03-02-2018, 03:15 AM

62,053 posts, read 87,760,434 times
Your neighbor reminds me on my neighbor - also a lady with two cats. She is retired and lives on a small income, but she will buy her cats the best food you can imagine - expensive can food, fresh shrimp, French ham, salami ... and for herself the cheapest junk because there is not much money left for her. She will feed all alley cats, and there is a number of dishes on her patio always full of cat food. She will also take the alley cats to the vet and pay to get them "fixed".
She will buy her cats expensive toys and bedding, while her own clothes and stuff have seen better days... a long time ago.
She is an elderly lady, ex-military. When she goes to hospital, and she goes there quite often (hypochondriac?), she will ask me to go over to her house and check on the cats, play with them, feed, give threats. While I am at it, she will call me, requesting detailed report with pictures...
Go figure...

Old 03-02-2018, 05:27 AM

2,914 posts, read 2,068,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
I think the issue with people with too many cats; too many pets in general is in their mis-understanding of this simple principle:

Pets will "love" you as long as you are the one who is feeding them and giving them shelter. That is all. THAT IS THE EXTENT OF IT. If someone else starts feeding them, and sheltering them. they will "love" that person just as much.

Animals are all about survival. They have no emotional attachment to us as humans. None at all. You must not read so much into the human-animal relationship. They are not thinking, feeling beings as humans are. Reach out to other human beings, not animals. Don't think substituting "human" relations with "animal" ones is the same. It is not. They are merely what they are. Animals only.

I see far too many people who misread the animal relationship as so much more than what it really it. It borders on mental illness, in my opinion.
I agree with this....to a point. Although we both once were on military deployment for 8 months and our dog went to go stay with a family member during that time. Although the family member was really loving and tried to spoil our dog, our dog was "depressed and sad", refused to eat on a regular basis, and cowered in the corner in the den 75% of the time. So our dog in fact did "miss" us and does have a somewhat emotional attachment to us. YRMV

Old 03-02-2018, 06:33 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,277,270 times
Not to stir up any gender issue, but I've noticed this behavior solely with middle-aged and elderly women who live alone. Purely non-scientific observation of course.

Old 03-02-2018, 07:19 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,926,984 times
I'm an AR person (Animal Rights), but people (not their appetites) come first. If you visit the cat forum on CD, you see a lot of weird things, where I think they go a bit too far in accommodating the kitty-cats. The head of PETA is like that, recommending you change the cat litter box EVERY DAY, due to a cat's sensitive nose. I scoop and rake every time, but change the box?

So, people come first. My furniture, such as it is, is less important than my cat, however. After all, it's HIS HOUSE, TOO.

Old 03-02-2018, 07:42 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,150,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post

Hard to say, might be early stages of dementia, or just older and set in her ways. You mention a son, maybe he could intervene to feed the cats or call one of the many branches of elder services to come check on her. In the end, it’s her money and hip. Unless she is not capable of taking care of herself, there is nothing to be done.

I agree with you, it’s a waste of her time and money, and she is clearly making bad decisions. It’s her insistence on not having anyone take care of her cats that makes me think of some type of cognitive impairment.

Last edited by Taz22; 03-02-2018 at 07:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology