Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 12:49 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,152,423 times

Advertisements

You come up with pretty good replies, you ask good questions! I regret that no I have not seen your posts elsewhere in this forum, quite likely we just haven't crossed paths.

Just starting out, not "knowing" the industry but having some understanding of what's involved, I don't see why you couldn't be a trucker and live anywhere. There are lots of places with cheap housing like you could rent a small house. Some of those places are near population centers with good healthcare options.

In other words I don't see why you can't find a bigger city where you could the same income (or better) and still not live in huge apartments.

Yeah SoCal. I know. I live there but fortunately retired well and don't have to live in an apartment. Funny thing, a millionaire friend of mine lives in a modest 1BR apartment. I don't understand why he didn't kick up and buy a nice house since he's late 70s.

I'm not a huge fan of ABQ "Duke City." I never figured out why ABQ annoys me. But only you have to like it. I lived in Santa Fe for most of a year, and I kind of liked it but I just couldn't live in a small city so here I am, back in the big, bad city. I like it like that! I live far out enough that I never hear or see traffic unless I venture out some distance.

You might have a look at PHX. Actually if you can afford it, Mesa. Or in that area if not Mesa per se. Queen Creek is less expensive but of course a few more miles out. PHX has lots of jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Not really sure about relocating for the same job I'm doing here. Unfortunately, driving trucks is about the only skill I have at the moment. No college degree to utilize and if you've read my posts in other forums, I'm not too keen on having multi-story apartment buildings to look forward to.

Only other entry level jobs I've put in for are with the Class-1 railroads. Those seem to be the only other, non trucking job I could go for that wouldn't involve a drastic drop in pay with the bills I'm still owing. Of course, the application process for that sort of work is rather slow and the selection process rivals that of the fruitless, law enforcement track I attempted about ten years ago.(too old and too uninterested in pursuing that route again).

I'm originally from Southern CA and with the costs of living out there, I don't really fathom going back there. If anything, I'm more or less willing to stick to mid-sized cities like ABQ or something similar and still within the mountain/desert zone. Plenty of assistance to be found in those areas as far as practitioners go.

Ultimately, I'll just have to stick it out with my current job set and resume schooling in a part time capacity if I aim to move forward. To what exactly? I do not know.
I'm 35 and my dreams change like underpants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
You can do "tapping" (EFT) on that specific phrase, and get some relief.
Zero comprehension. Could you explain further please?

Old 07-06-2018, 02:59 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,112,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
You come up with pretty good replies, you ask good questions! I regret that no I have not seen your posts elsewhere in this forum, quite likely we just haven't crossed paths.

Just starting out, not "knowing" the industry but having some understanding of what's involved, I don't see why you couldn't be a trucker and live anywhere. There are lots of places with cheap housing like you could rent a small house. Some of those places are near population centers with good healthcare options.

In other words I don't see why you can't find a bigger city where you could the same income (or better) and still not live in huge apartments.

Yeah SoCal. I know. I live there but fortunately retired well and don't have to live in an apartment. Funny thing, a millionaire friend of mine lives in a modest 1BR apartment. I don't understand why he didn't kick up and buy a nice house since he's late 70s.

I'm not a huge fan of ABQ "Duke City." I never figured out why ABQ annoys me. But only you have to like it. I lived in Santa Fe for most of a year, and I kind of liked it but I just couldn't live in a small city so here I am, back in the big, bad city. I like it like that! I live far out enough that I never hear or see traffic unless I venture out some distance.

You might have a look at PHX. Actually if you can afford it, Mesa. Or in that area if not Mesa per se. Queen Creek is less expensive but of course a few more miles out. PHX has lots of jobs.
Only real plus/positive about living in an area like I do now is that I don't actually deal with traffic too much. I've been to enough big cities that maneuvering a large vehicle like a 100' tractor-trailer combo is something that would freak me out to no end. That said, while city living is quite alright, I'd definitely see about gunning for a different line of work when living there.
That's why I think a switch to a railroad would be better.

As for Phoenix, too crowded for my taste. Albuquerque has that unique mix of small-town/big city vibe going for it. Only reason I think it gets a bad rep is due to the exaggerated crime thing. Also, cheaper living, and more ground floor apartments to my liking.

Again, multi-story, high rise apartments like the ones that are abundant in LA, Denver, and Phoenix are just too much trouble for me.

Old 07-06-2018, 11:35 AM

OMG I am absolutely amazed at the skills I've seen some truck drivers exhibit. Like backing a huge rig into a space I would find challenging to back my SUV into (or almost). And anybody with a brain who drives much (particularly our Interstates) knows truck drivers are the best drivers on the road. They have to be, it costs their job if they aren't. They also have to follow the speed limit because if they get a couple tickets they lose their job.

If changing your line of work improves your lifestyle then that's an obvious thing to do!

Old 07-07-2018, 01:07 PM

50,945 posts, read 36,629,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Learn to lie better or be completely honest.
Problem is you're between the two.

I covered tracks by being self employed.
Tell them you had a painting company for a few yrs but fell off a ladder. Use your imagination and be astute.
How is that going to explain why he quit half a dozen jobs in a few year.? OP just be honest if you were going through a bad time for some reason during that six year. Then say that and then go right into how in the last six years your consistency is improved tremendously and you’re a different person now. You cant just skate around it however.

I’m not following you is no different then I don’t understand what you’re saying or I don’t get it.

Old 07-07-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Zero comprehension. Could you explain further please?
If you Google EFT , Emotional freedom technique, you’ll find a plethora of explanations and instruction. It’s really too much to just try to explain quickly in a forum but it’s a method of anxiety reduction using pressure points.

Old 07-07-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I once went on an interview, and realized the woman conducting the interview had an issue with my college degree, as she felt this made me over qualified for the job. She said I would be stealing the job from someone who really "needed it", whatever that means. But my degree was plainly visible on my resume, and she had seen it before asking me to come in for an interview. At that point, I got up and left. However wrong that might seem to someone else, I'm an adult and I get to make that choice. It wasn't so much being angry as not wanting to waste valuable time listening to someone try to put me down. Besides, if you don't have a good rapport with someone, it's probably the wrong job for you. What amazes me is the time that job inteviewers will waste playing games with job seekers, just for kicks.
In reading the post it just seems that the person wanted to know why he had quit the jobs. Many people would see that on your resume and just never give the person a chance. He brought him in and gave him a chance to explain the flakiness.

Old 07-08-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
If you Google EFT , Emotional freedom technique, you’ll find a plethora of explanations and instruction. It’s really too much to just try to explain quickly in a forum but it’s a method of anxiety reduction using pressure points.
Oh, I just didn't understand the terminology! Now that I did a quick Google, it's similar in part to accupressure, a technique I learned decades ago. I can clear up stuffed sinuses via accupressure. My doctor wrote a book on it, he gave me a copy. It works!

Old 07-08-2018, 11:08 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,666,422 times
Quote:
Oh, I just didn't understand the terminology! Now that I did a quick Google, it's similar in part to accupressure, a technique I learned decades ago. I can clear up stuffed sinuses via accupressure. My doctor wrote a book on it, he gave me a copy. It works!
EFT is amazing and it's free. You can do a tapping routine in around ten minutes.

The OP could tap "Even though people don't 'follow me,' I totally and completely love and accept myself." A couple of rounds would get rid of the charge.

There are many EFT practitioners on YouTube. I like Brad Yates and Robert Smith.

Old 07-08-2018, 11:13 AM

21 posts, read 25,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
a guy once gave me the best bit of advice that I've ever received from a fellow inmate, he said; "whenever faced with a tough question, follow up with an even tougher question in return." While it's true that he was probably talking about a question from the coppers, it really can work for any situation.

Next time they ask you about your previous job history, ask them to try and guess what's in your pocket or if you would have to work with any weirdos.
When someone says I'm not Following You...one reply might be what part are you not following?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology