Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2021, 02:33 PM

11,049 posts, read 6,637,979 times

Advertisements

We all "lose it" from time to time (well, most of us!).

When you are about to blow your top, what do you DO to let off some steam?

Count to 10, throw things, yell, walk away, slam the door?

I've gotten short-tempered in my old age and am not proud of my short fuse.

We have hand-made, solid hardwood doors and once I found out how satisfying it was to slam them, I do that. Terrible, I know.

I try to limit yelling 'cause we're in a condo. I've thrown stuff too, but not at anyone. Nothing dangerous or valuable---

The worst is that I'll strike my own forehead with my open palm over and over, out of frustration.

Are you all calm and collected, or do you let it rip sometimes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2021, 02:48 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,021,108 times
1. Mostly, I snap at people. If I'm super frustrated, but not necessarily at a person, the F word comes out of my mouth a lot.

2. Only one time ever, was I so mad that I threw something. I was washing dishes, and my brother was making fun of me about something or other. I was washing a dinner knife at the time, and I threw it at him.

3. I have a very sarcastic mouth, and if I'm SUPER irritated or mad, I get real sarcastic. Just the other day, my husband did something that scared me and frustrated me at the same time. I'm ashamed to say I called him (and his brother) fools. I don't usually call people names...at least not to their faces. I immediately regretted it, and apologized to my husband, and then a bit later, apologized again, and told him I was really sorry.

Old 07-08-2021, 02:54 PM

720 posts, read 428,332 times
I get upset and cant calm myself down until someone logically or emotionally comforts me. Im prone to escalate an argument if I get angry and my tone becomes more aggressive. Luckily it doesnt happen very often. It takes a toll on me afterwards, cause I dont like to snap at the people I love.

Old 07-08-2021, 03:29 PM

6,297 posts, read 4,194,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
We all "lose it" from time to time (well, most of us!).

When you are about to blow your top, what do you DO to let off some steam?

Count to 10, throw things, yell, walk away, slam the door?

I've gotten short-tempered in my old age and am not proud of my short fuse.

We have hand-made, solid hardwood doors and once I found out how satisfying it was to slam them, I do that. Terrible, I know.

I try to limit yelling 'cause we're in a condo. I've thrown stuff too, but not at anyone. Nothing dangerous or valuable---

The worst is that I'll strike my own forehead with my open palm over and over, out of frustration.

Are you all calm and collected, or do you let it rip sometimes?
I very rarely lose my temper but if I’m heading in that direction I’ll let my husband know I’m feeling grumpy and need to go swim or go to the studio with my cup of tea and play loud music. I also like putting on earphones and listen to calming music, or the sounds of nature, or watch some comedy on my iPad.

The one time I really did let rip I smashed some old plates against a wall but that was like , 15 years ago. Water balloons are great option .

Old 07-08-2021, 03:55 PM

928 posts, read 499,210 times
I'm short on patience, but try to keep it to myself. I guess that makes me short tempered too. I can be snappy, but never yell. I will leave the room, which also isn't the best strategy, though it's also the same strategy my fiancee uses. I'm living with my fiancee and find myself practicing patience daily. Its a lot after not living with someone since 2008. That said, it's getting better...

Old 07-08-2021, 04:44 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Cursing, as blue as it gets, and yelling. Yelling curses! (mostly at other motorist, haha) If I'm also frustrated enough, throw in some tears and sobbing too.
When I was younger I sometimes threw things, but afterwards the guilt at breaking stuff was bad enough to cure me of that.

Old 07-08-2021, 04:52 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,799,167 times
I rarely get mad at a person so don't tend to show anger in front of people, but I do lose my temper with inanimate objects or my own ineptitude/stupidity, usually in private. Count to ten? Phooey! I definitely yell, curse out loud (full credit given to my Navy dad for modeling it for me so well ), hurl things, hit things, rip papers up, angry tears too. Most often its a quick satisfying outburst, get rid of it, then grimly sit down and solve the problem. I don't tend to brood.

Old 07-08-2021, 07:24 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,236,539 times
Cursing, stomping off!

Old 07-08-2021, 09:03 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
I have a situation going on right now that I get angry over a lot. It is beyond my control, it is beyond the other persons control because it’s dementia, and it does no good to be infuriated. But often in my car, alone, I will have conversations with this person out loud and say the horrible things to her that I want to say. I will rail against whoever I need to rail against.

It helps. A lot. And I enjoy driving, and usually take the back way so it’s not like I’m going to get all wrapped up in it and wreck the car.

I also use the car to yell at my dead husband.

Old 07-08-2021, 11:54 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,384,679 times
Walk away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology