Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 04:34 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,247,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asking_Questions View Post
I'm almost 30 and made my decision to follow this path a while back. Now I've been successful for a while now and am starting to think if this is what i'm going to be doing for the rest of my life or not. I don't have a problem with the job and I'm pretty good at what I do but thats mostly experience and wiling to work on the hardest projects I can find.

Anyone have anything you can add to this? I'm entering my 30s and the money and status if that means anything just isn't doing it for me anymore. Not sure what else I need out of life
Kids. You need kids now. It's the natural order of things. Teach them how to be successful like you have been, so the future generations won't be completely lost!

SS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2018, 05:37 PM

7 posts, read 4,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Money is a very poor measure of success.
Yes, I have realized this a few years ago and have been kind of stuck in a rut.
I'm looking for a new path now and not career changes or anything like that I'm just looking for a way to be normal again

Honestly I have focused years of my 20s to my career and I ended up alone, in a new city with no friends here or even a life partner.
I chased a career

Old 04-28-2018, 05:38 PM

7 posts, read 4,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, have you never had any hobbies or recreational interests? What do you do in your spare time? Have you considered taking up any charitable endeavors? If you're doing well financially, you might be able to be on the board of some kind of community philanthropic organization, that has a cause that speaks to you. That sort of thing can help give your life meaning. If you have any construction skills, you could volunteer for Habitat For Humanity.

Do you enjoy outdoor activities, travel, boating, hiking? Check out your local outdoor equipment store, to see if they have any groups that meet through them.

There's so much opportunity out there, do contribute to the world, now that you have your career settled, and have your economic bases covered.
I used to have interests and "Causes" that I heavily involved in. After a while it wasn't enough, I developed depression and those causes to help others just isn't going to work for me anymore.

I'm in a dark place these days...

Old 04-28-2018, 07:06 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
I advise you to stick it out a while. You may have hit a slump but you're doing really well for yourself. Why not take a vacation, go on a cruise, skydive, snorkel, spelunk. Make time for yourself but don't turn your back on a successful career when so many of us would have LOVED to have been in your shoes in our 30's!!!

Old 04-28-2018, 08:23 PM

588 posts, read 463,187 times
Quote:
I'm looking for a new path now and not career changes or anything like that I'm just looking for a way to be normal again

Honestly I have focused years of my 20s to my career and I ended up alone, in a new city with no friends here or even a life partner.
I chased a career
Yes, and this is the time to work your career.

So you are lonely, with no friends and no life partner.....

But with all this money and status.

Something is not clicking here for me.

Look Sweetness,

life is about SOMETIMES being lonely, having no friends and no life partner. I get it.

Maybe this is your challenge. Figure it out.

Trust me on this one....if you want a cushy life with lots of warm fuzzies keep doing what you are doing.

MAN UP.

Got that good.

Lord help me....

MAN UP!

You think your the only person that ever went through this and several times. You have no idea yet what hell can truly be.

Old 04-29-2018, 01:15 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Sometimes teaching someone less-experienced to do what you do is eye-opening. In order to teach the skills you have to modify your own views about the work. You may find that what you enjoyed about it before isn't the same now. You may find that you like it even more than before, and teaching it adds that layer of satisfaction and challenge. It isn't easy to teach skills to someone...you have to really know the material. You may get a new sense of what else there is to learn about the work for yourself.

Also agree that volunteering with something else locally can be a fun and low "cost" way to test what else interests you. You could start out with something related to the work you do now and branch out over time.
I've known teachers who said that they never understood their area of expertise so well, as after they'd taught it to beginning students.

Old 04-29-2018, 08:38 AM

3,070 posts, read 2,402,586 times
Quote:

I chased a career
Give it time. It's harder to make friends in your thirties than it is in your twenties when a lot more people are single. I don't think it's your job or career that's the problem; people know when their job is making them miserable.

Is it spring where you live? Get outside, get some fresh air and sunshine and exercise. Try to make some friends in your new city. Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology