Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 04:08 AM

9,459 posts, read 5,221,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
This thread perfectly illustrates why I’ve decided wait and see is the way to go. If you wait long enough people will show you their true colors.
That's the truth (just reading random posts here because I saw the original one and didn't want to go there). This animosity and 'hate' is indicative of the road our so-called society is on, IMO. Everything is racist, everyone is offended, no one gets along, and people come on here and post their prejudices about not wanting to interact with a certain segment of the population because of their 'feelings.'
It's disheartening.

Old 05-21-2018, 05:42 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,907,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Meh. Like most college educated professionals, I’m classist, not racist. We’re all tribal. My tribe is bright, intellectually engaged affluent people. I’m white but I have nothing in common with flyover country Trumpkins. It’s replaced religion as the opium of the masses.
How is characterizing millions of people as flyover Trumpkins not prejudicial? Or insisting you have "nothing" in common with them? You have a lot in common with them.

I really have a problem with that "flyover" kind of remark. There are plenty of brilliant, accomplished, talented people you're flying over and dismissing so lightly.

Old 05-21-2018, 07:24 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Honestly, Trump's election has changed nothing for me. Lifelong resident of "flyover" states, in the South and Midwest. Everywhere I've ever lived has been Republican and a minimum 80% white.

You're going to find major differences between Republican areas. I used to live in the most affluent suburb of Indianapolis, which is probably also the most affluent city in Indiana. It is Republican, but not MAGA land. Very Mitt Romney, country club, polite, and well-to-do.

I work in my hometown. Typical Rust Belt place, heavy industry, polluted, "sticky," mostly blue collar population. It has the lowest median income of any metro in Tennessee, which is itself a low wage state. Low educational attainment, high religiosity. I voted for Trump, but as a college educated, more affluent professional, I don't have much in common with fire breathing Pentecostals, and I never have. I probably have even less in common with San Francisco liberals.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:50 AM

1,348 posts, read 792,306 times
Has anyone noticed the over-arching trend of this thread? It strikes me as.....yet another..... fake thread. Hundreds of them appear on this site weekly.

Let's see, it generally goes something like this: complain about some trendy, over-blown, hot-button issue that is sure to divide people, use merely your feelings as substantiation, insert Trumps name, the OP comes back and utters just a couple of inarticulate sentences (to keep the thread active and moving back to the top) and evidences no real interest in trying to truly understand the viewpoints of others. Voila! Objective achieved, the paycheck is in the mail.

There is an army of these troops all over internet boards; it is a form of trolling. Read closer, think a minute and you'll begin recognizing them. #Pathetic

P.S. There is a political party that has not healed from their enormous arse-kicking in 2016 and, somehow, astonishingly, believe that continuing their failed and rejected tactics will now endear them to voters. Sad!

Old 05-21-2018, 09:02 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Crazy View Post
Has anyone noticed the over-arching trend of this thread? It strikes me as.....yet another..... fake thread. Hundreds of them appear on this site weekly.

Let's see, it generally goes something like this: complain about some trendy, over-blown, hot-button issue that is sure to divide people, use merely your feelings as substantiation, insert Trumps name, the OP comes back and utters just a couple of inarticulate sentences (to keep the thread active and moving back to the top) and evidences no real interest in trying to truly understand the viewpoints of others. Voila! Objective achieved, the paycheck is in the mail.

There is an army of these troops all over internet boards; it is a form of trolling. Read closer, think a minute and you'll begin recognizing them. #Pathetic

P.S. There is a political party that has not healed from their enormous arse-kicking in 2016 and, somehow, astonishingly, believe that continuing their failed and rejected tactics will now endear them to voters. Sad!
I’ve noticed a trend where some people these days, instead of acknowledging people have different experiences and reactions to those experiences, decide to:
  • Insult
  • Invalidate
  • Ignore

I shared some honest feelings and somehow I’m the troll. Things that make you go hmm.

Possibly even more sad? People are so caught up in being “Republicans” they can’t even identify that these “republican” candidates don’t even hold up the real republican values anymore. It’s all about fake morals clauses, xenophobia, and big money spending on certain special interests.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:06 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Maybe turn off your TV, or internet news source? They are trying to purposely give you these feelings.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:28 AM

6,301 posts, read 4,197,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Maybe turn off your TV, or internet news source? They are trying to purposely give you these feelings.

The news media amplifies this but there is no doubt that the mood has changed and we are seeing more overt acts of racism and bigotry. In all the years we have lived in the USA we’ve rarely had to deal with racism and when We did it was usually the cowardly phone calls, the swastika on the trashcans, or “the look”, but these last couple of years we have seen an ugly shift and faced comments or treatment that once people had to keep to themselves.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.8e249934a54a

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...ss-2001-level/

Old 05-21-2018, 09:33 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
The extreme divisiveness, and racism was seen more in the previous Administration. What you are seeing now is a bunch of sore losers acting like children, and throwing temper tantrums. I sense a lot more optimism in society, especially with regards to the Economy, Trade, and Foreign Relations.

My point is the Media is incentivized to try to create fear in people. Don't believe it. I have stopped watching cable news. It helps.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:44 AM

6,301 posts, read 4,197,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The extreme divisiveness, and racism was seen more in the previous Administration. What you are seeing now is a bunch of sore losers acting like children, and throwing temper tantrums. I sense a lot more optimism in society, especially with regards to the Economy, Trade, and Foreign Relations.

My point is the Media is incentivized to try to create fear in people. Don't believe it. I have stopped watching cable news. It helps.

I don’t watch cable news. Understanding the statistics and reality doesn’t necessarily equate to fear. The facts remain the hate crime has increased and the people who are targets try to talk about it and others try to shut it down. Denial won’t make it go away.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:56 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,907,940 times
The phenomena you're talking about was characterized as Trump being the "disinhibitor" of racism. He opened up the public expression of racism against Hispanics, people of color in the US and elsewhere, Moslems, and, of course, sexism against women. Additionally, I find it very odd that Evangelicals don't reject the President based on his unfaithfulness to his wife.

It's all very weird and Jerry Springer, but my theory is that people are upset because human culture is going through this huge sea change from the Industrial Revolution era to the Information Age. It's a major shift, people are frightened, so they cling to someone they think will help them, however irrational that may be. Not unlike the Hitler era right before WWII. Globalization is an inevitable fact, but it understandably frightens people, and not without reason.

The remedy--and of course I would say this because I've been lucky, culturally speaking--is thoughtful acquisition of knowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology