Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 09:03 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Crazy View Post
Agree with both comments above and will add one, using myself as an example.

I am emotionally available for friendships, incl close ones. But, it is highly unlikely that I would be for a romantic relationship. Been there, done that -- have had several and been married once. Glad I did all of that but I simply don't feel the need for it anymore and I also grasp how low the odds are for a long-term, mutually satisfying, romantic relationship. Very few achieve that and I don't want to spend my last couple decades on this planet mired in all the psycho-drama and low odds that goes with it.

So, yeah, on that level I'm mostly emotionally unavailable and perfectly fine with it.

Well said...I'm the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 09:10 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
This pretty much nails it. For platonic friends, too, though, it includes narcissistic people. Someone who just doesn't care to listen to your problems, or doesn't remember or care about your birthday, etc. They're someone who wants to be able to call you while they're killing time in the car, but don't want to - or care about - listening to your problems, etc. They may also just call you for your advice or use you for your expertise, but are just always too busy to ever return the favor.

It all basically boils down to someone who is a narcissist.
---------

Must disagree.

True emotional unavailability isn't conscious....imho.

if you have mental health issues from an abusive background where a parent or parents were not emotionally available, chances are you will be the same, at least in some regard....as that's what you learned and experienced.

There are several similar old threads...

Old 06-11-2018, 09:59 AM

765 posts, read 473,978 times
emotionally unavailable seems to be a virulent bacteria infecting our nation, and the world entire. We seem to live in select communities, we encase ourselves in cocoons made up of at least 4,000 sq. ft houses, behind gates, in only the "best" neighborhoods, with people very much like ourselves.....we give attention to only those we deem "worthy" "reliable" "value-driven" .....

emotionally unavailable has nothing to do with sex, it is a clinical syndrome of pain, suspicion, an inability to be vulnerable and allow the vulnerable into your life. it is emptiness. it is no hope. it is a person who takes no prisoners. it is a haggler, a shark, a game player. It could be your boss, your parent, your spouse, any person you might turn to who lacks empathy, kindness or generosity of spirit....... but it's important to classify those who are emotionally unavailable as needing our help and empathy and guidance, we can all help these people find therapy and a pathway to openess through our own open hearts.

Old 06-11-2018, 10:44 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,055,996 times
When a person has experienced an emotional trauma, they are not ready to add more onto themselves.

They are saying they need time to recoup and heal before getting involved in anything that would constitute being emotional.

Old 06-11-2018, 11:22 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,313,313 times
I'm kind of that way. It's not that I don't care, I do, it's just that sometimes I don't know how to express it.

Old 06-11-2018, 11:31 AM

765 posts, read 473,978 times
^^^^^^ Mr/ms Serious^^^^^^^^^^^^.....well, just find one special niche where you feel safe and able to express concern for others....be it as a volunteer at a soup kitchen, habitat for humanity, a hospital, hospice or even as a volunteer fireman, a red cross volunteer...whatever.....bring your skills to just that one table ...... and watch all the benefits you will reap as your care and concern will manifest....become evident.... by giving you will receive more confidence in yourself and i think you'll become a much more expressive person. try it!!!! i think you will truly like it and find that empathy inside of you

Old 06-11-2018, 01:03 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,723,158 times
Not interested. Not willing to adjust to other people romantically.

At least that's what it means for me.

Old 06-11-2018, 01:10 PM

1,406 posts, read 801,246 times
Some different answers. Is it more about not being open with your own emotions or not being receptive/empathetic to the emotions of others?

Old 06-11-2018, 01:37 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,583,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post

Hmm, I’m generally emotionally unavailable. That doesn’t mean I am unsupportive of your emotions. I just don’t share mine. It takes me a while to want to share that way to someone else.

giving people ammunition for future hurt. Or being vulnerable.
excellent insights!

Old 06-11-2018, 03:16 PM

892 posts, read 1,500,450 times
It's just a lame excuse that a female friend once told to a crazy ex-GF when she wouldn't stop calling me...."sorry..urbex is emotional unavailable right now, and he's unlikely to return your messages any time soon!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology