Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 02:14 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,774,092 times

Advertisements

do people display anything about their character the way they walk. People display certain things about themselves the way they move their hands when they talk. There may be an art to feet watching that I have never heard of. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2018, 02:58 PM

813 posts, read 601,416 times
I think you have a lot of time on your hands, er, feet...

Old 08-22-2018, 06:42 PM

4,210 posts, read 4,462,073 times
Well you can tell if they are in toeing versus out toeing, Although out toeing may be a side effect from being a circus clown who wears big oversized feet all the time or perhaps an avid scuba diver.

If they are wearing sandals you may be able to tell if they have any odd foot problems if you were a podiatrist
You also could tell somewhat about their foot hygiene - if they keep their toenails trimmed, or whether they have calluses or blisters etc...

I think you can tell some general characteristics about someone's walk. Supposedly where someone's feet are pointing when you are talking to them is one of a handful of body language cues to pick up on as to whether the individual is interested.

Funny thing I was just thinking today about whether you could tell if someone walks with 'heavy feet' (A clomper) of you are only observing them outside walking on sidewalk (since their is no reverb versus inside a building with flooring that enables you to tell.

Some years back in one work environment we had a very attractive young female graphic designer. She had a pronounced toe out walk like a ballet dancer but the giveaway that she was not was she was heavy on her feet when she walked as if there was no sense of body control (or attempt at) of lower limbs. Always reminded me of that silly kids game we played when very young about guess which animal I am by how I am walking.

Had a school friend with a penguin walk with slight rocking motion. Had another neighborhood kid a few years older with a pronounced bounce to his walk which we referred to as a doily walk.

Penguin and Duck walks tend to indicate balance issues or perhaps other health related physical ailments.

Some men pick up a walking style to convey personality. You can usually spot the guys with excessive swagger, or the walk with a hitch / jaunt etc... People who don't know me often think I was in military because of the way I walk.

Most women I've been attracted too over the years and dated (got a chance to know them) more than half were either athletic or took dance / ballet. I like the kinesthetic aesthetic of woman who carry themselves well. One I dated briefly had a toe heel sequence walk which was different.

Perhaps this is of interest
https://www.livestrong.com/article/5...-heel-walking/

Also you can tell from walk if someone is knock kneed or bowed leg...

Or if they were Monty Python fans?

Old 08-23-2018, 07:57 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,640,168 times
I have gotten that “were you in the military?” question a lot too, I don’t know why. I don’t think I walk any certain way but I suspect it’s because I am pretty regimented in my stance and somewhat formal and proper in how I carry myself, so maybe that combined with muscularity and short hair makes them jump to conclusions. I have no clue.

Old 08-24-2018, 01:23 AM

23,310 posts, read 18,877,894 times
You could tell how much time they spent going barefoot.

Old 08-24-2018, 10:26 AM

5,493 posts, read 3,934,268 times
If you're interested in attempting to judge people by the way they walk, I'd suggest focusing somewhere other than the feet.

Old 08-24-2018, 10:31 AM

6,308 posts, read 4,203,050 times
I think in some instances you can feel by how a person is walking that they may be struggling with hip problems, leg or knee or foot problems. However beyond that I don’t see how it’s possible to determine much more in, unless there is some exaggerated movement.

Old 08-24-2018, 11:01 AM

5,493 posts, read 3,934,268 times
You can tentatively conclude/conjecture some things about people by how they walk. If some dude is swaggering down the street, I'm going to assume relatively high ego as opposed to low ego, for example. Perhaps it's an act in an effort to appear tough, perhaps it's legitimate self-satisfaction--one example. I like to try to judge people on a variety of bases, however speculative they may be, and one's gait while walking is certainly one factor to take into account

Old 08-24-2018, 06:58 PM

111 posts, read 29,822 times
I can tell more by hands.

Old 08-25-2018, 03:55 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,531,203 times
You could tell a lot about me by my feet. One is prosthetic and the real one has three toes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology