Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 07:17 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,069,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
Well, sounds like you should keep the job you do have, and do the film thing on the side. Starting off small and doing things on a small scale is okay. Build yourself up and even if you don't reach the heights you want, at least you have a hobby you enjoy and maybe some good friends on the side from it too.
But I want to make a full time career out of it, and not just a hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
The failure of the movie will cause you to have more kids?

Make the movie, jump off the cliff.

You'll always regret it if you don't.
Sorry I didn't mean to say I will have more kids, I completely read your post in a different context.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pughnose View Post
I read this thread and some of your last one. You've said that you're "stuck" and given your ambitions and timetable, I expect you're rather overwhelmed. Question: Are you spending lots of time dithering when that time could be put to use furthering your goals? I don't mean go ahead and mortgage your parents' house to buy equipment or whatever (you hint at your situation but the specifics are unclear), just that if you were practicing a kata or working on your script instead of reading this reply RIGHT NOW, that might be a more constructive use of your time than asking random strangers our opinions.

Perhaps more helpful would be to find some kind of coach who will help you break down your ambitions into steps, in the proper sequence, with a metric so that you can check off specific accomplishments on which you can build. I don't know if this is a "life coach" or a "therapist" or who, but if you can find somebody good at organization and motivation to pay by the hour to meet with, once a week at first and less often as you get on track, seems like it might be of benefit.

Good luck! Now get off city-data and get to work!!
Yeah I'm trying to make the best use of my time now. Sometimes my current job, makes me brain dead a lot of the time, and I'm also making a documentary right now with a group of filmmakers so that has me pre-occupied at the moment, but I want to make the feature after that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2018, 07:53 PM

3,458 posts, read 1,454,665 times
Here are a few sites that might help encourage you to make your film on a budget. There are some good tips in here.
https://www.raindance.org/10-zero-bu...lmmaking-tips/

https://www.webfilmschool.com/5000-f...budget-movies/

It might help to keep working and save up $5000 dollars to make the movie. That way you're not taking a huge risk and can let go of some of this anxiety. Again, you sound very concerned which tells me you'll regret being a vagabon movie maker.

If the movie is good, you can then go for full time. A lot of people just want an excuse to do what they love all the time but in order to nurture what you love you have to help it grow. So put your hard earned money into it, dedicate your time, and grow your movie.

Have a goal of five thousand dollars to save then go for it. I don't see why you'd have to spend more than that on your first feature film.

Old 08-30-2018, 07:58 PM

Okay thanks, I don't think that $5000 dollars is enough to make a feature movie and not have it look or feel compromised. Even my first short film cost $1500.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Okay thanks, I don't think that $5000 dollars is enough to make a feature movie and not have it look or feel compromised. Even my first short film cost $1500.
Well, what are you hoping to accomplish with it? And do you already have the script in mind? A budget set? May I ask how you know it will take so much money?

If you are just hoping to get noticed, the Duplass brothers got picked up off a three dollar movie short.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/22/how-...prime-hbo.html

Why are you making it? What will you do with it? The Duplass brothers spent ten years working on a lot of failures first. That's sort of the name of that game. They aren't that young either. It can be a long road before you catch a break. So think long and slow, instead of fast and speedy, and keep your day job. Or get a night job if you direct during the day. You will need funding.

Might try a "Go Fund Me" site for the budget and see if anyone donates, although there are many of those for indie films.

Old 08-31-2018, 12:16 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,067,215 times
I fantasized about working in the film industry at one time, if only as an unpaid intern - I'd still run for coffee for Tarantino or the Coen brothers and thank them for the opportunity, just to say I was in on the creative process. The thought of making a full length feature film, even if one had a truly great screenplay, would seem almost insurmountable to me, simply due to casting - were you planning to use established actors, or all new faces? If the former, you're going to need a lot of help and a lot of financing. Have you thought about shopping around your idea to any studios, or taking on partners? It would dilute the potential reward, but would also mitigate the sure risks involved.

I sure wouldn't be basing my decision solely on advice from a shrink unless they were in the business, or were willing to invest in your cause. You need the opinion of insiders. Have you given any thought of going to Indie or Sundance or equivalent to see if you can make contacts, or get advice of skilled and experienced people? Or do you feel you are past that stage? Personally, I feel like Tokinouta has given you the best advice you're going to get from a forum.

Either way, Best of Luck on your adventure. Personally, I would only take as much financial risk as you believe you can recover from (don't borrow money from John Goodman's character in The Gambler). If you feel comfortable sharing, on what general subject will your documentary be on? Let us know if it hits, or is even visible on You Tube one day, it would be much easier to give advice if we could see a sample of your best work to date. Finally, it's all about the dialogue and how it's delivered. No one watches a movie about giant robots smashing skyscrapers more than once, but I've watched "No Country for Old Men" so many times I can recite the best scenes.

Old 08-31-2018, 05:57 AM

Okay thanks. I could take partners and I'm open to it. As far as casting established actors goes, if I cast someone from the actors guild, then all the cast and crew has to be from the guild, as that is how the union operates, or so I was told in film school.

That would also cost more as well, so it depends if I could afford it or not. I could try go fund me, and was planning on it, but that only gets me so far. I have a script, and keep doing re-writes based on others' advice.

As for the documentary I am doing now, that is not the feature I was planning on making as the documentary is just a 10 minute short. It's about political philosophy, and I am doing someone else's script, as something to do in filmmaking.

As for keeping my day job, I can do that for now, but once I start making the feature I will have to quit I think as it will take too long to make for me to be able to get that much time off I think.

As for what I hope to accomplish, just getting the movie picked up and then get a career out of it hopefully, and finally.

Old 08-31-2018, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Okay thanks. I could take partners and I'm open to it. As far as casting established actors goes, if I cast someone from the actors guild, then all the cast and crew has to be from the guild, as that is how the union operates, or so I was told in film school.

That would also cost more as well, so it depends if I could afford it or not. I could try go fund me, and was planning on it, but that only gets me so far. I have a script, and keep doing re-writes based on others' advice.

As for the documentary I am doing now, that is not the feature I was planning on making as the documentary is just a 10 minute short. It's about political philosophy, and I am doing someone else's script, as something to do in filmmaking.

As for keeping my day job, I can do that for now, but once I start making the feature I will have to quit I think as it will take too long to make for me to be able to get that much time off I think.

As for what I hope to accomplish, just getting the movie picked up and then get a career out of it hopefully, and finally.
Well, it sounds like you have a clear idea of where you are headed. That's good, and if you can research, ask others from school on how to keep your cost down it should be doable. Part of your early career will be figuring out how to make a great film on the cheap. Your skills should still shine through. That's what they'll look for. You'll be a jack of all trades for a while to cut costs so learn everything you can.

Why not start looking for a night job, so you will have your nights free. It won't fund your film but you'll still make a living while you work on it. When others see you giving it your all they are more likely to help out. If they think you're not dedicated they usually won't. I'm sure you get the picture. Maybe you can get into a job directing commercials or something relative to what you're going to do. You'll meet people you will need down the road.

Another thing, build your credit! Get a credit card, buy a car, do something to build your credit over the year so that you can get a loan/credit card for these things. Invest in yourself. It could take ten years to make a living at it. That's why you keep a day job/night job.

I figure you know to use film students to cut cost as well as others breaking in, but there are also local groups into filmmaking. Use thrift store clothing and set the material to cut costs, the high school set designers are often willing to take on projects for college resumes. Also, cosmetology schools for makeup/hair.
Your biggest cost will and should be advertising which will include festival fees. Also, hit every contest you can find.

Get into discords for cheap labor, including set design, sound, and editing. Something like this: https://www.reddit.com/r/Filmmakers/...g_discord/Make sure they're local or willing to travel. They're newbies mostly but that spells cheap and not necessarily bad. Start now and form a few friendships. Again, search for one that's local first so they're around. If you are productive in this manner it will start to tear away your anxiety. It's also a better place to ask the questions you are asking us, as they are all doing the same thing in different areas of filmmaking. You will find like minds and that will be encouraging, you will also find cheap labor willing to help you to help themselves.

And lastly, take that anxiety and turn it into the wind beneath your wings. Anxiety is meant to be helpful, not stressful. It's what helps us pursue our dreams, and gives us the drive to succeed. This is a good vid to watch and understand how to make your stress work for you instead of bringing you down. https://www.ted.com/talks/kelly_mcgo...nd?language=en

You might already watch some of these but I'll link this in case. These channels will give a plethora of ideas on the budget, gear, as well as other ways to make the film without breaking the bank. https://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/10-...video-editors/

Finally, read this. Like I've been saying, I'm sure you already know a lot of it but more can't hurt. https://nofilmschool.com/2017/07/how...oney-filmmaker

Last edited by Tokinouta; 08-31-2018 at 09:00 AM..

Old 08-31-2018, 08:32 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,009,489 times
Quote:
Basically, I felt like taking a huge career risk of making my first feature film, which I would want to find distribution for, which talked about before on here, such as here:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/psych...-new-life.html

Now a lot of people are talking me out of it, so I thought I would see a psychotherapist, so he could talk me out if it more, like I was advised to on here before.

But now he is telling me to go for it. He is saying I am not going to be happy and keep on regretting myself, if I don't follow the dream, and stop thinking what if all the time, and being scared.

But should I do it, since I thought everyone was saying it's a bad idea, and that is why I went to him in the first place? I'm more unsure now, or what do you think?

If you don't do it...you will later regret it.If you can afford to still pay your bills while you go after this goal...then do it.Good luck.

Old 08-31-2018, 09:32 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,838,177 times
I wouldn't be taking financial/business advice from a therapist. Then again I wouldn't take any type of advice from a therapist considering how bat **** crazy their kids and spouses usually end up being.

Old 08-31-2018, 09:56 AM

3,097 posts, read 2,000,436 times
All rhetorical q's, but I'm curious as to why you'd seek a therapist's help, rather than finding other filmmakers to ask for advice? Does your therapist mostly treat those in the entertainment industry, so s/he's got some inside knowledge on the financial health of that field? People who are currently in the biz would be of best benefit to know.

You could begin a blog about your journey to get your film made... who knows, that could be a doc some day... & contact people for interviews to post on your new blog... basically, your info & guidance is then free. You could also join or begin your own local, monthly meetup group with like minded folks to hash out ideas or find biz partners.

I worked in TV/film for a decade, but that was 2 decades ago, but if you research, you can find stories on the pros or cons of "taking the plunge". Ed Burns made The Brothers McMullen on weekends by using his credit cards, while he was working on the crew of Entertainment Tonight. So, he had a job, had industry contacts & used his parents' house for free for film locations.

Kevin Smith used credit cards as well to fund Clerks, but was living at home & used friends for cast/crew/location shots.

I've heard stories of those who enrolled in a local university's film class for a modest amount, but it was only to be able to borrow all the camera equipment on weekends for free & find no/low cost actors in the drama dept... their excess costs were for film only.

I've heard other stories of those who just jumped in & made a fortune (the people who made the Saw franchise) & those who lost everything (too many to list). So, as others have said, have a backup plan and/or PT job just for living expenses, be comfortable knowing that you could lose your savings, understand that your film may or may not go easily & do what's best for you. Like Burns, you could make it a weekend project only, so that you can hold down a job... or like Smith, you could live at your parents' home & utilize the help of your friends.

Good luck with whatever path you choose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology