Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 11:03 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilly9244 View Post
Just take the compliment and say THANKS!
absolutely!!!!
I can't imagine why anyone would feel insulted from a compliment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2018, 07:26 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
You never see yourself in a photograph and think: "Wow, I look good in that photo!"?
Apart from driver's license photos, I mostly like the way I've looked in photos and videos.

Old 01-02-2019, 06:09 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
Im really bad. I think if I'm looking skinny on a picture , I look good. NO matter what...

But my Sister in law is what you would call obese, but believe it or not, she looks really good on picture. Actually , she looks really good regardless. She is beautiful.

Old 01-02-2019, 06:27 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
I don’t photograph well so if someone tells me I look good in a photograph I’m going to take as a compliment.
ME TOO! How many times people have looked at their photo they took of me, and said, oh no, don't worry, you don't look like that!

I don't know why I photograph so poorly. But when we do group photos, SO OFTEN, one in the group will say everyone looks great oh wait, not Clara, and flip through more photos to find one everyone looks great in.

What in the world am I doing wrong that I don't look like myself, and everyone agrees, I don't look like myself, in pics.

Obviously I have a stiff "photo face".

Old 01-03-2019, 08:39 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
ME TOO! How many times people have looked at their photo they took of me, and said, oh no, don't worry, you don't look like that!

I don't know why I photograph so poorly. But when we do group photos, SO OFTEN, one in the group will say everyone looks great oh wait, not Clara, and flip through more photos to find one everyone looks great in.

What in the world am I doing wrong that I don't look like myself, and everyone agrees, I don't look like myself, in pics.

Obviously I have a stiff "photo face".

IMO, group photos are hard. It's difficult to hold a 'natural' smile for very long, and the larger the group, the harder it is to get everyone in the photo, make sure everyone shows up, make sure no heads are cut off, etc...and you're still holding that smile...that eventually starts to look like a death grimace. LOL.

Have you ever noticed 1st and 2nd grader school pictures? All the kids have these very fake smiles on their faces. It's so cute...and typical of the "smile for the camera" at that age. LOL

Old 01-03-2019, 08:46 AM

19,807 posts, read 9,367,244 times
Yes, some people certainly do take offense when a sincere compliment is intended.

I still remember the time I saw a former co-worker after five years had passed, and she looked wonderful (new hairstyle and about a 20-pound weight loss), and I said, "Wow, Nancy, you look GREAT!" and she actually became huffy and was obviously offended, but I forgot what she said exactly. I felt bad, but what could I have then said? Should I have apologized for telling her she looked good, for cryin' out loud -- sheesh?! (I'm a woman and we were about the same age, btw, so it was definitely not a case of any kind of sexual harassment, lol.)

Old 01-03-2019, 08:51 AM

Just yesterday, I was texting back and forth with my youngest sister. (I have 2 sisters, and I'm the oldest.) She was saying how one time, many years ago, she was showing a friend of hers wedding pictures from when our middle sister got married.

Upon her friend seeing pictures of us...me, a bridesmaid, and the other sister (the bride) this friend says "These are your sisters? They're so different from you! They're pretty!"

That comment hurt my sister for years. But the thing is...she's super cute...but different from my other sister and I. Me and Katie have dark hair and brown eyes. My other sister is blond with green eyes.

I don't think her friend meant "Wow, you're ugly compared to your sisters!" I think the friend meant..."Your sisters are pretty...but they don't look like you." But it came out wrong.

I reminded my sister "Hey, who still has a girlish figure? You do. Who is still a natural blond? You are. Who is still cute as a button? You are.

Old 01-03-2019, 03:13 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,349,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
I don’t photograph well so if someone tells me I look good in a photograph I’m going to take as a compliment.
I don't photograph...consistently. Some angles compliment me while other angles are "insulting" so to speak.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
I don't photograph...consistently. Some angles compliment me while other angles are "insulting" so to speak.

It's often a mixed bag for me as well. Often, the camera catches me with my eyes half shut. Which makes me look...simple. lol

Old 01-05-2019, 06:42 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
You never see yourself in a photograph and think: "Wow, I look good in that photo!"?
I'm not the person you were addressing, but no. Maybe not never over a lifetime, but rarely have I actually liked a photo of myself. I am not terribly attractive and I do not photograph well. I look at photos of myself for acceptable/not acceptable.

If a person told me that a photo of me looked good, though, I would accept the compliment. People don't usually say anything if they think it's a bad picture of someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology