Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 02:14 AM

13,287 posts, read 8,480,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
You can't really blame them everywhere they go its front page on some website somewhere. Imagine Mariah Carey at christmas time? lol The fame can turn people into Narcissists as everything they do is projected at something major. They are also used to everything getting done the way they want it when they want it. That much power, and control can go to someone's head. Mariah Carey is also Bipolar, and that plays into narcissism a lot. Many people confuse narcissism for bipolar disorder as well.
Actually I hold them accountable for their 'brand'. Meaning how they sell themselves to the public.

Each person is accountable for their sickness ...let's be honest. Mariah enjoys using her bi polar as an excuse for her goddess complex.

I saw a show on Paris Hilton....she seems to be coming out of the fog....let's hope she is turning a corner and keeping a more private and real life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 08:54 AM

13,717 posts, read 12,472,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I read that celebrities such as Kim K and Maraih Carry have narcissistic personalities..
I think we all met or working with these type of people.
Narcissism isn't sociopathy or Psychopathy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Actually I hold them accountable for their 'brand'. Meaning how they sell themselves to the public.

Each person is accountable for their sickness ...let's be honest. Mariah enjoys using her bi polar as an excuse for her goddess complex.

I saw a show on Paris Hilton....she seems to be coming out of the fog....let's hope she is turning a corner and keeping a more private and real life.
I do as well, but I don't hold Mariah more accountable than I do Jennifer Lopez or Lady Gaga or Madonna or anyone else. They're professional Diva's. Its part of the schtick.

One other thing...Narcissism generally inherently implies that one is the way they are without commesurate accomplishment. These people have achieved fame, TV contracts, commercials, hit records, whatever.

Old 01-12-2019, 05:41 PM

282 posts, read 248,889 times
Psychopaths are born (heredity) and sociopaths are a made (product of their environment). A generalization to be sure, but how I keep it straight.

Old 01-12-2019, 09:39 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,515,594 times
I know narcisist is not the same as psycopath or sociopath, but a sociopath and psycopath can still be narcissists? Right?

Old 01-12-2019, 09:52 PM

6,311 posts, read 4,214,116 times
Quote:
If you are familiar with the Podcast or TV series Dirty John, you have heard him being described as a sociopath. But I think he share the trades of a Psychopath instead. What do you think?

DAttachment 206720

He seems to fit
https://www.learning-mind.com/narcissistic-sociopath/

Old 01-13-2019, 01:08 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,905,315 times
Quote:
I know narcisist is not the same as psycopath or sociopath, but a sociopath and psycopath can still be narcissists? Right?
All sociopaths and psychopaths are Narcissists, but not all narcissists are psychopaths or sociopaths. Believe it or not majority of narcissists aren't aware of their narcissism this is what makes them so difficult. Psychopaths and Sociopaths on the other hand are completely aware of their lack of empathy majority have known since their childhood that they were "different" from most people. They conscientiously use their lack of empathy to their own advantage.

Old 01-14-2019, 08:29 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,935,337 times
According to my Abnormal Psych professor, all these categories are just lables to try to get a general description on a persons behavior. They are not hard and fast categories. The guy was good looking, and a good liar that exploited, weak, nieve, and rich women. Seems a lot of the women fell for his good looks and charm. They also seem to like the bad boy type.

I think its too bad the show didnt focus enough on the women. The last one was married four times before she met dirty john. Maybe she was looking to clean out another man in a divorce, and got the table turned on her.

Old 01-14-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
According to my Abnormal Psych professor, all these categories are just lables to try to get a general description on a persons behavior. They are not hard and fast categories. The guy was good looking, and a good liar that exploited, weak, nieve, and rich women. Seems a lot of the women fell for his good looks and charm. They also seem to like the bad boy type.

I think its too bad the show didnt focus enough on the women. The last one was married four times before she met dirty john. Maybe she was looking to clean out another man in a divorce, and got the table turned on her.

Is that what she did with her other husbands? Clean them out. I didn't know that.

Old 01-15-2019, 06:23 AM

34,117 posts, read 83,097,094 times
Quote:
...you have heard him being described as a sociopath.
But I think he share the trades of a Psychopath instead.

What do you think?
How old is the DSM you're each referencing?

Old 01-15-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrational View Post
how old is the dsm you're each referencing?
dsm?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology