Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2019, 04:11 PM

50,815 posts, read 36,514,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Zoidberg View Post
Dr. Zoidberg is a character from "Futurama". I am hardly pretending to be a doctor. Let's hope you haven't procreated!

More money equals the ability to provide for kids, put them in better schools, pay for college without debt, and pass along superior genes.

I am not mandating it, but it would be a better societal convention to every idiot prole (I too am a prole) making babies.
There is no indication that the wealthy have superior genes. John Hinkley came from a wealthy family and had a plethora of psych issues. John Dupont of (movie) Foxcatcher fame was extremely wealthy. The Menendez brothers who murdered their parents were wealthy. There are many, many wealthy families with psych disorders, drug addiction, and other "bad" genes. The reason rich kids end up rich is due to the advantages their parents can provide, not because they have better genes.

On the other side, people who grew up poor but contributed greatly to society include Jonas Salk, Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson and Steve Jobs.

I find it sad you believe they are superior to the rest of us.

Old 05-03-2019, 05:15 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,869,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy-Cat-Lady View Post
Hey Zoidberg is my favourite character on Futurama, so don't hate!!
Ooooo k. I’m not sure there’s anything I could say that you don’t find offensive at this point, I was just defending the idea that money makes a better parent, because it’s not true and you said you were screwed.

Old 05-03-2019, 05:21 PM

70 posts, read 32,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
You watch Futurama. “Nuf said. Money doesn’t buy empathy, social cues, morals, love...logic, you’re just talking about materialistic things. A lot of bad parents give their kids “things” to keep up with the Jones’s, teach them to be superficial.
Is that supposed to be an insult? Proles don’t like to be called out to face reality. Fact is - we’re better off with the spawn of Jeff Bezos than you or I. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Old 05-03-2019, 06:49 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,869,177 times
Quote:
Is that supposed to be an insult? Proles don’t like to be called out to face reality. Fact is - we’re better off with the spawn of Jeff Bezos than you or I. Sorry to burst your bubble.
No problem, I’ve already grown some new bubbles, now if you’ll excuse me, I seemed to have entered the wrong room.

Old 05-03-2019, 07:37 PM

50,815 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Jeff Be o’s genes are not rich people genes, he was born to a 16 year old mom.and a deadbeat dad who didn’t pay child support. That posters argument doesn’t even make sense, making billions of dollars provides great advantages but it can’t change your genes, his are no different than ours.

Old 05-03-2019, 08:00 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
This is one of the weirdest threads in a long time, which I guess shouldn't be surprising, since the ringleader has built it on the odd premise of admittedly envying people who are parents, yet condescending to and outright insulting those who are parents, and railing against a perceived stigma against a group she's not even happy being a part of. It's truly bizarre.

Old 05-03-2019, 08:07 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy-Cat-Lady;
I'm screwed then
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Only if you take someone pretending to be a Dr on the internet seriously.
Hilarious!

Old 05-03-2019, 09:06 PM

70 posts, read 32,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Jeff Be o’s genes are not rich people genes, he was born to a 16 year old mom.and a deadbeat dad who didn’t pay child support. That posters argument doesn’t even make sense, making billions of dollars provides great advantages but it can’t change your genes, his are no different than ours.
Ah, but his are proven now! He is much smarter than I. Thankfully, I have no children. Maybe instead of wealthy, I should say accomplished.

Old 05-03-2019, 10:04 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy-Cat-Lady View Post
Why are you insinuating that he's somehow miserable and bitter just because he CHOOSES not to become a parent? It's not for everyone.
Perhaps if his post were, "Eh, kids aren't for me; they're not for everyone," it would have been received differently.

However, that wasn't his message. His message was, pretty clearly, "Having children is the worst thing anybody can do, and anybody who communicates any positives about it is a liar who is just seeking to conceal how truly miserable they are in their choices."

Which is a completely different sentiment. And, is it happens, just plain weird.

Old 05-04-2019, 09:36 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,981,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I have never felt it, that is what I'm saying. Yes, I have had family members, others ask me, tell me I would be a great mom and maybe I'll reconsider one day (when I was younger), I've had people express regret for me that I don't, but that is not being stigmatized. It may be misguided but it's well-meaning.

Further, it’s not at all uncommon for women to be single and childless today.

In what ways are you actually, literally stigmatized?
Where I live, in a small town in the south (and, as I've already said, I believe this is greatly dependent on where you live), it is considered super weird and somewhat suspect -- even pitiable -- to NOT be married with children. YMMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology