Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 08:05 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,233,223 times

Advertisements

I'd say that my risk orientation is somewhere between medium and high. I like to engage in activities that would scare most people. For example, I regularly walk the streets of some of the US' most "dangerous" neighborhoods. I'm not afraid to walk in North Philly at 3AM, and I've done so many times. I've also walked the streets of West Baltimore, the South Bronx, Anacostia in DC, and many other places. I also LOVE to go urban exploring in abandoned buildings/structures. Finally, whenever I do drive (it's rare since I don't own a car due to living in the city), I tend to drive fast and aggressively. Growing up in Philly and the surrounding area taught me certain driving skills that come with living in a large, dense urban area. I can easily do 100+ on 95 or other highways.

Those are just a few examples of my risk orientation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019, 08:28 AM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
I risk a blood pressure spike in the am, getting my coffee and reading the new posts here.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:53 AM

50,807 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
I'd say that my risk orientation is somewhere between medium and high. I like to engage in activities that would scare most people. For example, I regularly walk the streets of some of the US' most "dangerous" neighborhoods. I'm not afraid to walk in North Philly at 3AM, and I've done so many times. I've also walked the streets of West Baltimore, the South Bronx, Anacostia in DC, and many other places. I also LOVE to go urban exploring in abandoned buildings/structures. Finally, whenever I do drive (it's rare since I don't own a car due to living in the city), I tend to drive fast and aggressively. Growing up in Philly and the surrounding area taught me certain driving skills that come with living in a large, dense urban area. I can easily do 100+ on 95 or other highways.

Those are just a few examples of my risk orientation!
If you’re driving 100+ on 95, you’re forcing others to share your high risk behavior. I hope you get a ticket soon before you kill someone.

Old 03-18-2019, 11:22 AM

19,807 posts, read 9,367,244 times
VERY low risk in everything, and i have been that way all my life except for when I was about 18-33, and with every passing year since then I have become more and more cautious. (I'm 65 now.)

Old 03-18-2019, 12:19 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Alright since it seems not many people know the term

Basically how would you rate your risk-taking habits and behaviors

If you have low risk-orientation, you hardly engage in serious physical stuff

If you have medium risk orientation, you have the ability to engage in some serious or dangerous stuff from time to time, but only in like moderation

High risk moderation is the extreme choice here, if you are some sort of blue collar worker this one would fit for you for sure

You got the confidence to engage in risky and phyisical activity constantly and aren't afraid to do so

Is that understood or clear

Huh? So, working an assembly line would place someone in a high risk moderation group? How is that? I'm thinking I still dont understand the question. lol

Old 03-18-2019, 01:07 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,721,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Just show us your class assignment instead of condescending on everyone.
Not an assignment lol

Old 03-18-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Huh? So, working an assembly line would place someone in a high risk moderation group? How is that? I'm thinking I still dont understand the question. lol
*orientation

And yeah sure, most people use their career to determine their risk orientation

Old 03-18-2019, 01:18 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,204,853 times
Not sure what you mean, but:

Uranus is coming up to an occultation on my natal sun and Jupiter. This is risky strictly due to the fact that Uranus is very unpredictable and can induce very significant events, typically in a flash.

For the next 18 months I must lay low, and avoid stuff like ladders, airplane flights, gambling, and lightning.

Last edited by TwinbrookNine; 03-18-2019 at 02:04 PM..

Old 03-18-2019, 05:54 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,898,284 times
I have no idea how to answer the OP's post. I consider myself very risk adverse to the point of it being detrimental to how I've done in life, yet I've taken high risks when I've needed to so I can get out of a bad situation and better myself. Or when I've had to when the situations came up.

So, say on a scale of 1 to 10, I'm a 5? Or is it in most years I'm a zero and in other years my risk-taking rates extreme to a 10+?

Old 03-18-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I have no idea how to answer the OP's post. I consider myself very risk adverse to the point of it being detrimental to how I've done in life, yet I've taken high risks when I've needed to so I can get out of a bad situation and better myself. Or when I've had to when the situations came up.

So, say on a scale of 1 to 10, I'm a 5? Or is it in most years I'm a zero and in other years my risk-taking rates extreme to a 10+?
You're are right, you're like a 5
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology