Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 01:38 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times

Advertisements

I don't think this thread is about other people at all. It is about a failure to communicate information effectively in a work setting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2020, 06:59 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I don't think this thread is about other people at all. It is about a failure to communicate information effectively in a work setting.
There’s no failure when your trying to talk to someone and they walk off in mid sentence.

Old 01-07-2020, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
I'm not understanding. You're talking, they walk away, then you walk away and they find you and say you are rude for walking away?

I'd cut them off because that sounds like some really weird game playing.
I walk off because I don’t see the point in trying to keep talking to them and they walk away from me as I’m trying to communicate with them.. how is this so hard to understand??

Old 01-07-2020, 07:32 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Or just start talking to someone else.

Are they just rude or is it that your not just interesting enough to listen to?

I’ve had some people do this from time to time and I just walk away some come find me and tell me how rude I am to just walk off. I tell them that it was rude of them in the first place to snub me in the first place.

Anyone else experience this, how do you handle it?
Be less boring.

Old 01-07-2020, 07:46 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,122,405 times
Quote:
Or just start talking to someone else.

Are they just rude or is it that your not just interesting enough to listen to?

I’ve had some people do this from time to time and I just walk away some come find me and tell me how rude I am to just walk off. I tell them that it was rude of them in the first place to snub me in the first place.

Anyone else experience this, how do you handle it?

I had an acquaintance that did that to a lot of people when I was young. He was quite good looking and knew it. If you were talking to him in a public place he would be looking around to see who was about or if there were anyone else he was more interested in (elite) nearby other than the one he was speaking with. Eventually we had it out about it. He was so focused on himself he didn't even realize he did it. Nor did he care. It wasn't me, neither was it the dozens of other of his "friends". It was him. Narcissist.

If it happened to me with most people that I was ever speaking with, I'd have to check me out.

Old 01-07-2020, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Be less boring.
Work is being. Are you suggesting I break out in song and dance a ***?

Old 01-07-2020, 10:22 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
Quote:
There’s no failure when your trying to talk to someone and they walk off in mid sentence.
Yes there is. I would never allow that. If I am communicating an important 5 word statement and someone appears not to be listening and moving away, I would get their attention. I would call their name, ask them to stop, make eye contact, and deliver the message.

It's Communications 101: sender --->message--->receiver

You are failing as the sender.

Old 01-08-2020, 11:44 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Do you have their attention before you start speaking? Maybe they didn't even hear you start speaking because you didn't have their attention. Maybe they are hard of hearing. Maybe you speak softly or in a tone that isn't easily heard.

I have trouble hearing people with very low voices and have walked away because I didn't know that they were even speaking to me.

Old 01-11-2020, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Yes there is. I would never allow that. If I am communicating an important 5 word statement and someone appears not to be listening and moving away, I would get their attention. I would call their name, ask them to stop, make eye contact, and deliver the message.

It's Communications 101: sender --->message--->receiver

You are failing as the sender.

Can’t make someone listen if they don’t want to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Do you have their attention before you start speaking? Maybe they didn't even hear you start speaking because you didn't have their attention. Maybe they are hard of hearing. Maybe you speak softly or in a tone that isn't easily heard.

I have trouble hearing people with very low voices and have walked away because I didn't know that they were even speaking to me.
In my OP I had their attention and within a couple of words they walked off. So I kept trying and finally went to the owner and told him what I was trying to communicate with the first person.

Old 01-11-2020, 07:32 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
I walk off because I don’t see the point in trying to keep talking to them and they walk away from me as I’m trying to communicate with them.. how is this so hard to understand??
I think the part that's surprising some people here, is that the people who walk away from you actually chase you down to tell you, you were rude for giving up when they walked away. lol. It does sound a bit nutty, but some people are aggressive like that. Have you ever told any of these people, when they chase you down to tell you off, that they were the ones who were rude and abandoned the conversation you were trying to have? I'm really curious as to what they would say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology