Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2020, 08:11 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,960,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
My daughter and I were talking about this a few hours ago.

Think back prior to the rise of the unioins to when men were regularly killed in industrial and farm accidents (which happened pretty darned frequently), and their wives kept the family together. Back in those days, those women rarely remarried for a variety of reasons, but continue as widowed mothers doing what was necessary to raise their children.

The ability of a woman to be strong and independent is nothing new.
This. The women on the frontier were also strong and independent.

Which shows that feminism today isn't about equal rights for men and women anymore. It's about women dominating and subjugating men.

I as a straight male Evangelical Republican and Trump voter support equal pay for men and women. But guess what? We already have it. Virtually the entire supposed "gender pay gap" can be boiled down to the fact that women work shorter hours to spend more time raising their kids and that women usually work in lower-paying fields than men.

As a straight male Evangelical Republican and Trump voter, I have no problem with any woman saying, "I want to be an engineer. A doctor. A lawyer. Make a good living." Because I do not believe that women are less capable, intellectually, than men in these professions. BUT I think that most women choose NOT to go into these high-paying, male-dominated professions because they simply have other priorities, psychologically, than men. There is no straight male patriarchy telling them not to go into these professions.

Now I of course have zero tolerance for rape, sexual abuse, etc. But thanks to feminism, we now have many overblown claims of sexual abuse as seen in the MeToo movement and the false claim that 1 in 5 women are raped. And this leads to demonizing men as having "Toxic Masculinity." But fact is, rape isn't toxic masculinity, or masculinity at all. It's evil and cowardly. True masculinity is about heroism, leadership, and protection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2020, 08:18 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
BUT I think that most women choose NOT to go into these high-paying, male-dominated professions because they simply have other priorities, psychologically, than men. There is no straight male patriarchy telling them not to go into these professions.
Eh, one could argue that a patriarchal society does not encourage men to be equal partners in child rearing and household duties, thus forcing women to take on lower paid, more flexible jobs to care for home and family. Few people question a man's performance as husband and father if he's distant and working long hours because the expectation is that there's a wife at home taking care of everything. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
But thanks to feminism, we now have many overblown claims of sexual abuse as seen in the MeToo movement and the false claim that 1 in 5 women are raped.
If you actually had more experience with women (as you say that you don't,) you would know that many, many women have had sexual assault experiences that they never reported to the authorities and don't talk about with just anyone. That #metoo is actually allowing these women to feel comfortable speaking their truth is good. It's sadly not overblown at all.

Old 01-19-2020, 08:56 AM

43,080 posts, read 18,252,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
This. The women on the frontier were also strong and independent.

Which shows that feminism today isn't about equal rights for men and women anymore. It's about women dominating and subjugating men.

I as a straight male Evangelical Republican and Trump voter support equal pay for men and women. But guess what? We already have it. Virtually the entire supposed "gender pay gap" can be boiled down to the fact that women work shorter hours to spend more time raising their kids and that women usually work in lower-paying fields than men.

As a straight male Evangelical Republican and Trump voter, I have no problem with any woman saying, "I want to be an engineer. A doctor. A lawyer. Make a good living." Because I do not believe that women are less capable, intellectually, than men in these professions. BUT I think that most women choose NOT to go into these high-paying, male-dominated professions because they simply have other priorities, psychologically, than men. There is no straight male patriarchy telling them not to go into these professions.

Now I of course have zero tolerance for rape, sexual abuse, etc. But thanks to feminism, we now have many overblown claims of sexual abuse as seen in the MeToo movement and the false claim that 1 in 5 women are raped. And this leads to demonizing men as having "Toxic Masculinity." But fact is, rape isn't toxic masculinity, or masculinity at all. It's evil and cowardly. True masculinity is about heroism, leadership, and protection.
One needs to be very good in math/science to go into engineering as the competition is stiff.
There were only 2 females in my graduating class (1989) of 400 students....Engineering.
I was a software engineer for 25 years...systems programmer. That's chip bringup, device driver code, operating systems. And that area of software is about 95% male. There wasn't any of this gender crap going on. If you knew your stuff and proved yourself you became "one of the guys" and that held for both males and females.

Old 01-19-2020, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
One needs to be very good in math/science to go into engineering as the competition is stiff.
There were only 2 females in my graduating class (1989) of 400 students....Engineering.
I was a software engineer for 25 years...systems programmer. That's chip bringup, device driver code, operating systems. And that area of software is about 95% male. There wasn't any of this gender crap going on. If you knew your stuff and proved yourself you became "one of the guys" and that held for both males and females.
You don't know that, though. You don't know how many capable, intelligent women dropped out because the environment was hostile and unwelcoming. They wanted to be "one of the engineers" not "one of the guys."

Old 01-19-2020, 09:17 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
You don't know that, though. You don't know how many capable, intelligent women dropped out because the environment was hostile and unwelcoming. They wanted to be "one of the engineers" not "one of the guys."

But you don't know that, either.

Old 01-19-2020, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
But you don't know that, either.
That's true (though there have been studies demonstrating women leaving male-dominated fields: https://hbr.org/2018/11/the-subtle-s...ve-engineering) It interesting that that poster said that there was no "gender crap" in his field, while expressing that there actually was "gender crap" in that his eyes, engineering = men, and women had to conform.

Old 01-19-2020, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Dropped out of what ? What hostile environment are you talking about ?

"one of the guys" is a generic term and it has nothing to do with gender. In fact it removes gender from the equation completely. It's means you are accepted, you are one of the team members.

I didn't take offense at being called "one of the guys".

Old 01-19-2020, 09:36 AM

Quote:
That's true (though there have been studies demonstrating women leaving male-dominated fields: https://hbr.org/2018/11/the-subtle-s...ve-engineering) It interesting that that poster said that there was no "gender crap" in his field, while expressing that there actually was "gender crap" in that his eyes, engineering = men, and women had to conform.
HER field. I'm a female.

That article is fairly recent..2013. I'm talking 1989 here. And I was a team lead. I had responsibilities.
This "him vs her" in the workplace seems to have started around 2000 from what I recall. I got chosen for stuff I knew I wasn't qualified for and turned it down. I had one decent manager though that told me he was told to ask a female first. I took it as an insult at the way social engineering was making it's way into tech.

Old 01-19-2020, 10:08 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
HER field. I'm a female.

That article is fairly recent..2013. I'm talking 1989 here. And I was a team lead. I had responsibilities.
This "him vs her" in the workplace seems to have started around 2000 from what I recall. I got chosen for stuff I knew I wasn't qualified for and turned it down. I had one decent manager though that told me he was told to ask a female first. I took it as an insult at the way social engineering was making it's way into tech.
I tried to work in tech in 2000 and the sexism was unbearable. Supervisors were organizing strip club outings biweekly. Women typically didn’t last long in the development division at all, and women in the other production departments regularly talked about how uncomfortable it made them. It was not really “social engineering” as a total boys’ club. Any time ANY woman got promoted there, the rumors spread that it was because she slept her way to the top. It could not be because she was skilled or able to do the work.

Old 01-19-2020, 10:15 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
Quote:
If you actually had more experience with women (as you say that you don't,) you would know that many, many women have had sexual assault experiences that they never reported to the authorities and don't talk about with just anyone. That #metoo is actually allowing these women to feel comfortable speaking their truth is good. It's sadly not overblown at all.
I agree, and the vast majority of men who commit rape are never brought to justice; they get off scott free. So nobody should be upset that women want come forward and simply talk about their experiences with rape. Most of the men who raped these women were never arrested, never went to jail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology