Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2021, 06:03 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,610,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
I am not religious, nor a genetic theorist. Evil is as evil does. If someone does horrible things, and they are not mentally ill, they are evil or, if you prefer, a bad person. And I don't believe upbringing should be used as an excuse for horrible behavior. We all make our own choices and are responsible for those choices. I am sick of "his parents spanked him" or "he didn't have a daddy" being used as justification for horrific acts. If those situations caused criminal acts, everyone with the same background would be a criminal.

As for Germany, you are wrong. The majority of people were so afraid of the consequences of standing up to nazi rule that they just kept quiet and tried to keep their heads down. Those who were caught in anti-government activities were dealt with swiftly and deadly. There were still quite a few underground activists who helped Jewish people and tried to covertly work against the government.
Ok. When you used the word evil it aroused suspicion in me, but your explanation is vague but understandable as a "bad" person. I have to ask then, what makes a person "bad"? Do they come out of the womb that way, innately bad? That's why my nurture argument. I believe if brought up in a compassionate family, and living in a compassionate society, these "nature" break throughs to "bad" behavior are rare. Remember the shooter Anders Breivik in Norway that took out so many at a day camp with a gun? It made news because it doesn't happen there very often, unlike here in the US where mass shootings are now daily occurrences. Their society is more compassionate as a whole.
Germany, well I won't go there and split hairs over what the majority felt, my argument is that German society was indeed sick. Many, if not a majority did buy into the Nazi supremacy. The regieme brainwashed people with propaganda, and people did buy into that sickness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2021, 06:11 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,617,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Americans had slaves for a really, really, reallllllly long time.
I dont think they were all mentally ill
YES they were!
They just "normalized" Slavery as a business.

No different than Prostitution or Drug dealing as long as it was profitable.

Old 10-23-2021, 08:03 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,070,576 times
An average fentanyl peddler has OD body count that would make even the most prolific serial killer green with envy - are all of them mentally ill or are they simply worthless pieces of sh*t who only care about money and have zero concern for their fellow human beings? Same goes for gangbangers who have no issue unloading a high-capacity magazine down a busy street at what they think is a wrong-colored hat with zero concern for all the innocent bystanders standing between their gun and the said wrong-colored hat - are all of them mentally ill or are they simply worthless pieces of sh*t?

Old 10-23-2021, 11:35 AM

2,565 posts, read 1,640,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
Ok. When you used the word evil it aroused suspicion in me, but your explanation is vague but understandable as a "bad" person. I have to ask then, what makes a person "bad"? Do they come out of the womb that way, innately bad? That's why my nurture argument. I believe if brought up in a compassionate family, and living in a compassionate society, these "nature" break throughs to "bad" behavior are rare.
Yes, I believe some people are just born bad, or defective, if you prefer. They love to inflict pain and suffering and usually start with animals, sometimes graduating to humans. Nurture and supervision may be able to control them for a while, but eventually their true nature will appear. This is different from someone "normal" who suddenly snaps.

Quote:
Remember the shooter Anders Breivik in Norway that took out so many at a day camp with a gun? It made news because it doesn't happen there very often, unlike here in the US where mass shootings are now daily occurrences. Their society is more compassionate as a whole.
Compassion is great, but not if compassion for bad people is at the expense of others. I believe society has a duty to protect people and animals from those who do deliberate harm.

Quote:
Germany, well I won't go there and split hairs over what the majority felt, my argument is that German society was indeed sick. Many, if not a majority did buy into the Nazi supremacy. The regieme brainwashed people with propaganda, and people did buy into that sickness.
The sickness was Hitler's and his minions/supporters who, by brutal dictatorship rule, were able to control everyone. Courage for opposition is difficult when you risk your life and that of your entire family.

Old 10-23-2021, 11:52 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerobime227 View Post
Today, seemingly whenever a horrible person commits a horrific crime the defense is always "Well, they suffer from depression, schizophrenia, or some other abc mental illness" Like Hitler., Salin,.Genghis Khan, Mao. Pol Pot, were all of them just mentally ill or not? Can people NOT be mentally ill and still commit rape, murder genocide and the like?

To answer your thread question, oh I think so. Some people are just sadistic & enjoy the pain & suffering of others. The more gruesome things they can cause, the better to them. Now I don't know if that's considered having any kind of mental issue...does it have to? Some people out there can just like it & be perfectly sane, right?

My fiance' thinks there are literally devilish people who walk amongst us on this earth.

Old 05-08-2022, 09:00 PM

102,187 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modest View Post
Look at how many spouses kill one another. Did Gabby Petito feel safe up until the point that her fiancee, Brian Laundrie, was strangling her? How about the way Maya Millette felt at the moment her husband was shooting her? I don't believe either of these people were diagnosed with a longstanding mental illness before their crimes.
Laundrie told police, that he had a mental health condition, but wasn't taking his meds.

OP, it depends on how you define "mental illness". The personality disorders (Borderline PD, Narcissistic PD, etc.) are a class of mental illness. IMO many of the people who commit crimes probably have a condition, that's considered a type of mental illness: sociopathy, for example. That's why they're able to harm people with no compunction. But are they mentally ill to the point of not being in control of themselves or not being aware of the consequences of what they're doing? No. They know what they're doing, they just justify it to themselves, and have no empathy for their victims, nor for a lot of other people they cross paths with.

Old 05-08-2022, 09:53 PM

8,658 posts, read 3,853,671 times
Quote:
Today, seemingly whenever a horrible person commits a horrific crime the defense is always "Well, they suffer from depression, schizophrenia, or some other abc mental illness"
There’s a huge difference between depression or ‘abc mental illness’ vs. (the various types of) an insanity defense. The use (and success) of an insanity plea is actually extremely rare i.e. the opposite of what you state, above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Some people are just sadistic & enjoy the pain & suffering of others. The more gruesome things they can cause, the better to them. Now I don't know if that's considered having any kind of mental issue...does it have to?
How is this not mental illness of some sort, lol? That said, it’s quite different than being relative to an insanity (or any) defense.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 05-08-2022 at 09:59 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-12-2022, 04:24 PM

26,716 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Why is it that when people do horribly deplorable acts it's always blamed on mental illness?:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/psyc...eplorable.html

Old 05-12-2022, 05:47 PM

8,658 posts, read 3,853,671 times
Quote:
Today, seemingly whenever a horrible person commits a horrific crime the defense is always "Well, they suffer from depression, schizophrenia, or some other abc mental illness"
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Why is it that when people do horribly deplorable acts it's always blamed on mental illness?
It’s not ‘always’ blamed on mental illness; that said - if so, that’s not the same as a legal (insanity) defense for a horrific crime. In other words, is anyone going to argue one who sadistically derives pleasure from stabbing or beating their victim isn’t mentally ill, to some degree? That said, it doesn’t mean it’s relevant to their crime/defense.

Old 05-12-2022, 05:54 PM

26,716 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
It’s not ‘always’ blamed on mental illness...
Actually, that was the title of that particular thread. I personally don't believe that someone could commit a horrific crime such as murder and NOT be mentally disturbed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology