Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2021, 07:04 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,239,034 times

Advertisements

Latest one is guinea pigs. Cannot stop thinking/researching about the little critters.

Food is another one.

How do I stop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2021, 07:48 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Get busy with something else that will take all your attention.
Watch a movie, read a book, do some art, color a book, call a friend, improve something at home, redecorate or rearrange your rooms, go for a walk, declutter your home, make a catalog of all your worthy possessions, enroll in some activity, go out and take few pictures...

Re: guinea pig. Are you going to buy one? Then go shopping. Decide on cage, food, toys, talk with pet store people... Get busy with action.

Food:
Make detailed inventory of your pantry, by food groups, expiration dates, rearrange accordingly. Make plan how to use and when. Get busy planning.
Cook something. Freeze the rest. It comes handy...

Did you try the trick with a rubber band around your wrist? Snap it everytime you have those obsessive thoughts.

Try breathing therapy
Lie down on a comfy sofa. Totally quiet room or low volume of your favorite music. Breathe in for a count of four, hold for a count of four, and breathe out for a count of four. Repeat this for at least five minutes. Breathing replenishes the body and gives the mind something else to focus on.

Old 11-08-2021, 06:54 AM

749 posts, read 581,006 times
Don't fight the obsession or you will make it stronger.
You could try writing it down, repeatedly, read it and rewrite until you don't feel like thinking about it.

Concentrate on something that requires all your attention. A puzzle or something intellectual.

Obsessing about food is very common...it all depends on why.
Why guinea pigs? Do they represent something to you?

Old 11-08-2021, 10:35 AM

720 posts, read 429,008 times
what do you mean with obsessing. what do you do? what do you think? does it make you get stressed when you think about it?

Have you ever tried meditation? i found it helped me with my recurring thoughts. It didnt have much of an effect the first few times, cause i was trying to understand what meditation is about - analysing and criticizing my thoughts, even the thoughts that told me that I shouldnt think about stuff.
But after like one or two weeks of 5 minute meditation, I got the hang of it and started applying it to my life in general. whenever i had a thought or feeling that would overwhelm my brain(meaning it wouldn't simply go away and would start making me nervous) I would start focusing on my breath and remind myself that its all fine and that theres no real reason to worry about thoughts.

Its kind of weird, but for me it worked:3

hope it helps.

Old 11-08-2021, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian View Post
Don't fight the obsession or you will make it stronger.
You could try writing it down, repeatedly, read it and rewrite until you don't feel like thinking about it.

Concentrate on something that requires all your attention. A puzzle or something intellectual.

Obsessing about food is very common...it all depends on why.
Why guinea pigs? Do they represent something to you?
I want a pet.

Old 11-08-2021, 11:59 AM

I get obsessed with let’s say new flavor of chips. I will want to eat them every day until I get tired of them. It’s very stressful for me.

Old 11-08-2021, 12:30 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Are you, by chance, OCD?

I can be obsessive about something that interests me. Today as I was walking the track, I was obsessing about how many sets of colored pencils I own.

My granddaughter has two guinea pigs. She has quite a setup for them. She is responsible for their care. I haven’t looked at them lately, but they have grown since she got them last year.

To displace constant obsessive thoughts, maybe try meditation?

Old 11-08-2021, 03:24 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
Set a time limit.

Discipline yourself.
Make that your healthy obsession. Following limitations and sticking to it.

Old 11-08-2021, 05:47 PM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
I want a pet.
Last week it was a boy friend now it is a Guinea pig. Please get yourself together before you take on the responsibility for either one. The boy friend can walk. The Guinea pig cannot and depends on you for everything. It will not survive on chips and ice cream.

Old 11-08-2021, 06:40 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,174,886 times
If you get a guinea pig, make sure to get two. They are social critters and do best with a buddy. True fact: In Switzerland, it's illegal to own just one guinea pig.

https://www.zmescience.com/ecology/a...g-switzerland/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology