Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2021, 09:15 AM

61,659 posts, read 87,023,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingandwondering View Post
Have you noticed the fad of autism? It's particularly noticeable on FB - people are actually clamoring for a diagnosis.

In the old days, autism was a rare diagnosis and was indicated by someone extremely anti-social, non-verbal, with all kinds of other quirks and behavioral problems (many couldn't speak).

Now you can be extremely verbal/fluent/expressive, and have absolutely no outward appearance of being "different," yet you're given this diagnosis.
Unless is really diagnosed - it's a fad. Many people self diagnose in order to "explain" and excuse lack of motivation to learn how to effectively communicate and socialize with peers, or some of their "weird " habits and behaviors.
Self-diagnosis is ultimately not helpful since it does not give the person access to professional treatment.
Just about 2% of adults in the US are on the autism spectrum, but when you go to the Relationship Forum you would think that the number is much, much higher.

Last edited by elnina; 12-15-2021 at 04:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2021, 09:22 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,141,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Unless is really diagnosed - it's a fad. Many people self diagnose in order to "explain" and excuse lack of motivation to learn how to effectively communicate and socialize with peers, or some of their "weird " habits and behaviors.
Self-diagnosis is ultimately not helpful since it does not give the person access to professional treatment.
Just about 2% of adults in the US are on the autism spectrum, but when you go to the Relationship Forum you would think that the number is much, much higher.

Well...self diagnosis isn't going to get you drugs. It might get you positive attention...but it won't get you drugs.

Last edited by elnina; 12-15-2021 at 04:17 AM..

Old 12-14-2021, 09:42 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingandwondering View Post
Have you noticed the fad of autism? It's particularly noticeable on FB - people are actually clamoring for a diagnosis.

In the old days, autism was a rare diagnosis and was indicated by someone extremely anti-social, non-verbal, with all kinds of other quirks and behavioral problems (many couldn't speak).

Now you can be extremely verbal/fluent/expressive, and have absolutely no outward appearance of being "different," yet you're given this diagnosis.
Yes; it's the current trendy "disease du jour" or wastebasket diagnosis. As a teenager, I read "Son Rise," a biography of an autistic son by his father, and remember how rare it was said to be then; now it's everyone.

Personally, I think young people just lack social skills because their noses are stuck in electronic devices practically from birth. I have literally seen babies in carriages with their trusty tablets babysitting them.

That's got to have an effect on kids, and not a good one.

Old 12-14-2021, 10:01 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,666,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Yes; it's the current trendy "disease du jour" or wastebasket diagnosis. As a teenager, I read "Son Rise," a biography of an autistic son by his father, and remember how rare it was said to be then; now it's everyone.

Personally, I think young people just lack social skills because their noses are stuck in electronic devices practically from birth. I have literally seen babies in carriages with their trusty tablets babysitting them.

That's got to have an effect on kids, and not a good one.
That’s because the DSM changed in 2013 to include Asperger’s and pervasive developmental disorder not otherwise specified within the same diagnosis of autism. It was rare because in the DSM-IV-TR, the diagnosis included only those people now considered to have autism requiring a level 3 of support. Previously, if you had PDD-NOS in particular, you really weren’t eligible for much of anything in terms of supports. Now people with autism are typically eligible for supports within the school system.

Old 12-14-2021, 10:04 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,095,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
I have no personal experience whatsoever with autism, but this is an excellent post. Christi, I hope you have whatever help you need dealing with your boy.
It's been harder since Covid. The "labor shortage" means that our severely autistic children are going without therapy & families are going without respite. Aides/paras call off, don't show up, or just quit. With so many families needing help; they'd rather work with a child confined to a wheelchair than with a great big kid with explosive rage. The waiver service coordinators aren't even answering calls right now. Offices are still closed "due to Covid". I've been waiting on call backs now for 8 months (I leave messages repeatedly) & I'm not even trying to get an aide or respite; I just need waiver funds to make the house safer for my son & to purchase items that can keep us safe during the meltdowns, such as Ukero Pads (blocking punches) & a safety barrier for my car (to prevent him from being able to attack me in the car, which has become a real problem).

I utilize his Medicaid & to get him care through an Immunologist, which has helped severe behaviors some but since he can't swallow pills, Medicaid won't pay for his medications (has to be all elixir) & I have to use his SSI funds for that ($200/month for medicine that Medicaid won't pay for because "An 18 year old should be able to swallow pills ) But we'll get through it. I've no intention on not getting my son everything he needs to fulfill his potential. When I look at him, I see a LOT of potential, as crazy as that may sound to some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
I wish you. your family, and your friends hope for the future.
Thank you, so very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I don’t disagree with you. Haven’t you indicated in the past that you are also on the spectrum? Having worked for an agency that served autistic people in the past, we had a lot of people who are probably at least 30+ now who were never diagnosed appropriately.
Yes, I am. I was originally identified as "mentally retarded" in the 2nd grade (common lingo for the 1970's). My parents demanded further evaluations which discovered I was reading at HS Grad level & the "label" was removed but the school had no idea on how to "accomodate" my peculiarities. They did do one thing that sorta worked: I was given library access daily after school, which helped curb my elopement behaviors.

I used to elope from class into the library & hide in the bookshelves to be able to read in peace, lol. There was very little research at the time on Hyperlexia (precocious reading) which is now known to be almost 100% associated with ASD. I now read 1,363 words per minute with a 98% comprehension level (that's a comparative parameter, it means out of 100 people tested, I comprehend in the top 2%). It's considered a "savant" skill but it literally has no practical benefits. I suppose it would be helpful in the media industry somehow. Research, maybe. But otherwise, it's kind of distracting. I could lose hours. A tornado might pass overhead & I'd be oblivious.

Quote:
This is particularly the case with women, as women tend to present differently and it is only now that we’re realizing how women present. I think people do want to know WHY they act like they do. There are high functioning individuals with autism who may have some problems, but aren’t “geniuses.†I think a somewhat decent presentation I saw was on Chicago Med with Dr. Latham. I think he got a diagnosis during the show and went through some treatment to help him understand how and why he was acting the way he did.

In some ways, I think that combining the three prior diagnoses into one has helped people with milder cases qualify for services they need. On the other hand, now people seem to focus too much on the level 1 folks while forgetting that we still need to do research and come up with treatment for the level 3 folks who may be nonverbal and never progress toddler level.
Exactly, all the awareness is regarding level 1. Thankfully, The Autism Science Foundation has started a #thisisprofoundautismcampaign to try to garner more awareness to what life is like with severe (level 3) autism & the The Lancet Commission on the Future of Care and Clinical Research in Autism, has just very recently, introduced the term "profound autism" to highlight the needs of people who cannot speak for themselves.

This is one of the Autism Science Foundations's recent videos. It comes with a warning but if you have experience with Level 3 autism, it's likely not something you've never seen before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwvKYE5C2Ys

I have a few videos of my own that are very similar to what is seen here. The only difference is that my son is probably twice the size of even the biggest boys shown here. Which adds a complication, in that despite my being not a small woman (I am almost 6 foot tall), he still outweighs me by over 120 lbs.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/memb...rdianship.html

I really appreciate the interest & well-wishes from all of you guys here. It means a lot. Awareness is key.

Old 12-14-2021, 10:17 AM

2,995 posts, read 3,099,818 times
I don't think Autism is a fad AT ALL, but ADD/ADHD on the other hand.................

Old 12-14-2021, 10:26 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,141,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio July View Post
I don't think Autism is a fad AT ALL, but ADD/ADHD on the other hand.................

Why do you think that?

Old 12-14-2021, 10:30 AM

1,250 posts, read 677,871 times
Quote:
I think autism is the coveted diagnosis these days - but ADD/ADHD is for the drug seekers - doctors and Pharma colluding to rake in the $$$

Old 12-14-2021, 10:36 AM

15,407 posts, read 7,468,300 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
Why do you think that?
Yeah, why do you think that? ADD is real. It's also a spectrum disorder, with many different presentations.

Old 12-14-2021, 10:50 AM

2,063 posts, read 1,862,022 times
Neither ADD/ADHD or Autism are fads. In milder forms they weren't recognized in the past. They do require diagnosis by a professional, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology