Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2022, 06:24 PM

1,624 posts, read 1,705,983 times

Advertisements

I wanna live in a retirement home with great musicians, imagine the jam sessions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2022, 06:46 PM

700 posts, read 446,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Hey you guys. Blondie is the band. Deborah Harry is the lead singer.
"Which one's Pink?"

Old 04-28-2022, 07:33 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,514,723 times
Quote:
Hey you guys. Blondie is the band. Deborah Harry is the lead singer.
Doh! I should have caught that! They were just a tad ahead of me getting into music, but I have heard them enough times (and played them on Spotify) to know better.

Quote:
I can remember when I became older than the oldest MLB player (after Julio Franco retired in 2007). A year later I was older than the President of the United States (not currently though). Just stuff that makes you go Hmmm...
I remember the same thing from the NBA, but I can't remember which player it was.

Quote:
For the celebrities of yesteryear who are now facing nursing homes: At least they avoided the 27 Club.
Every year on the anniversary of Kurt Cobain's body being found, I think, damn, he'd be (this old.) This year, it has been 28 years since he died. He was 27 when he passed. I feel old.

Old 04-28-2022, 08:54 PM

408 posts, read 290,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westminster88 View Post
How old are you, exactly?
I’m 41 and I’m not at peak of my career, still struggling through certification exams, have 2 kids and my wife and I share a family small business to supplement my income but that business is not always a reliable source of funds and is seasonal. The problem is we can’t make ends meet without the supplemental income regardless of what I part with , because we have debts … high interest debts …. Debts that due to inflation crisis are due to become even higher interest rate debts, and I’m trapped. I can’t replace my job because I have a high needs child and we have had sitter after sitter quit on us because they can’t handle our kids it’s too much work for them …

And I obviously can’t make more than $35/hour and hire a sitter which costs $35/hour for us because we have a very high needs child

Life is terrifying and I see no way out and it’s all my fault for irreversible choices I made. I had kids too soon, I took too long to pass exams to raise my pay beforehand, and now the supplemental business lost customer subscriptions at a massive rate this past week which means we are at risk of running out of money

Question: is it worse to be unemployed and penniless homeless and have a potential opportunity to get a job ?

Or my situation where you run out of money and have debts in the 6 figures and a potential bankruptcy dilemma and you owe all that back?

Which is worse ?

Old 04-29-2022, 01:35 AM

19,697 posts, read 20,221,774 times
Watching my parents age is bad enough..

Old 04-29-2022, 04:34 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,436,465 times
For one thing, try to stay off the internet unless you need it for work. It sucks the life out of you. I feel like a hypocrite because here I am in the middle of the night on the internet, but I'm trying hard to limit myself.

You are overwhelmed with life but you're 41, which is a good age, especially if you're healthy. I'm not trying to sound like a wise old sage but just try to get something out of every day, because 2 decades can pass & you'll find yourself going "what happened? When did I get so decrepit?"

Old 04-29-2022, 07:05 AM

8,055 posts, read 7,419,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westminster88 View Post
"Which one's Pink?"
"Pink" was Pink Anderson, American blues singer-guitarist born in 1900. "Floyd" was Floyd Council, born 1911. They both died in the 1970's, probably not in nursing homes.

Old 04-29-2022, 08:01 AM

8,055 posts, read 7,419,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesponge View Post
Life is terrifying and I see no way out and it’s all my fault for irreversible choices I made. I had kids too soon, I took too long to pass exams to raise my pay beforehand, and now the supplemental business lost customer subscriptions at a massive rate this past week which means we are at risk of running out of money

Question: is it worse to be unemployed and penniless homeless and have a potential opportunity to get a job ?

Or my situation where you run out of money and have debts in the 6 figures and a potential bankruptcy dilemma and you owe all that back?

Which is worse ?
I would say you should change your focus. You've made irreversible bad choices but you've also made irreversible good ones. Focus on the good choices. You have a wife and two children. Where would you be without them? Maybe you'd have more money but what would be the point?

We had hard financial times when we first got married and started raising a family. The house always needed repairs, my 10 year old car was always breaking down, etc. But we got through it, the kids graduated college and now I realize that was just part of life.

Old 04-29-2022, 09:15 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
The saddest thing for me was losing two of my favorites within two years, Joe Cocker (2014) and Leon Russell (2016). I never missed a concert by either when I lived in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Old 04-29-2022, 09:37 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesponge View Post
I’m 41 and I’m not at peak of my career, still struggling through certification exams, have 2 kids and my wife and I share a family small business to supplement my income but that business is not always a reliable source of funds and is seasonal. The problem is we can’t make ends meet without the supplemental income regardless of what I part with , because we have debts … high interest debts …. Debts that due to inflation crisis are due to become even higher interest rate debts, and I’m trapped. I can’t replace my job because I have a high needs child and we have had sitter after sitter quit on us because they can’t handle our kids it’s too much work for them …

And I obviously can’t make more than $35/hour and hire a sitter which costs $35/hour for us because we have a very high needs child

Which is worse ?
You didn't make bad choices. You were probably on track with most of your peers as far as starting a family & "passing exams".

Your biggest obstacle is that you have a "high needs" child, like I do & even if you had funding for that $35/hr childcare; there aren't enough people willing to do that work right now.

My son is 18, severe autism with aggression & explosive rage. He's 6'5" & weighs 309 lbs. Needs constant 1:1 supervision & you'd better be a big strong guy who can take a punch & keep your cool (I am not. I'm less than half his size but I'm fast on my feet).

You know who the waiver agencies have sent me? 20-something college grads who bring sensory toys like squishy balls, xylophones & tambourines. Lol.

I've been unemployed since 2006 to caregive for my son. The best you can do is to have one income earner & one full time caregiver parent. And if you are the income earner, don't do to your wife what my son's dad did to me: Block me from all accounts & assets & never provided health insurance. Gives me a cash allowance. Don't do that to the caregiver parent. If it wasn't for them you couldn't make enough money to work.

Change your idea of success & start making good memories. I know it sucks to see your peers going to Disneyland & galas & having date nights but if you can't; it's not due to mistakes you made. Don't direct your resentment inward. The US has the most disabled & unhealthy children of any country in the world, including the 3rd world & hasn't done anything meaningful to help or change what they did to cause this & they leave us parents to be basically trafficked to compensate for their disaster.

Oh & get healthy. Take those kids outside. I'm 54 & I'm also kind of stunned about how many of my icons from the 80's are incapacitated now, especially when because due to my son's needs, it feels like I must live forever. And it's not just the celebrities ... My childhood friends I keep up with on social media are all posting about their hip surgeries, heart problems, diabetes & cancer. Yikes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology