Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2022, 06:34 AM

159 posts, read 146,459 times

Advertisements

Why can't I just do one for hours and not get bored?. If I'm watching Netflix or playing video games, after about an hour or two I just don't enjoy it anymore and feel like learning or being productive. If I'm just learning or doing something that I don't necessarily enjoy, I can't do it for more than an hour before I start craving something fun. I have to alternate between the 2. When I alternate I feel better. It's like that's how my mind works and it pushes me to behave this way otherwise I'll be miserable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2022, 09:13 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
Why is this a problem? Everyone has different preferences and even different brain chemistry that can affect how they best manage their time. You've actually found a system that works for you, and as long as you're getting things done and have work/life balance, there's no problem with it.

Old 10-22-2022, 04:07 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Setting nutritional needs aside for a moment, consider why you feel compelled to eat different food for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Wanting to change things up is entirely normal.

Old 10-22-2022, 11:44 PM

1,891 posts, read 2,531,567 times
Seems entirely normal to me. When I was a student I had a hard time studying for more than an hour before wanting to take a break, such as eating ice cream or watching TV.

Old 10-23-2022, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
Seems entirely normal to me. When I was a student I had a hard time studying for more than an hour before wanting to take a break, such as eating ice cream or watching TV.
Is this just part of human nature?. That we have to switch back and forth between having fun and learning. Otherwise we will get bored or tired if we spend too much time on one activity.

Old 10-23-2022, 12:47 PM

1,891 posts, read 2,531,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yologuy01 View Post
Is this just part of human nature?. That we have to switch back and forth between having fun and learning. Otherwise we will get bored or tired if we spend too much time on one activity.
Yup I think so. Applies to other areas of life too. You wouldn't want to eat ice cream for every meal no matter how much you like it. Travel is a way to do something out of the norm. Of course there are exceptions but for most, variety is the spice of life certainly applies.

Old 10-23-2022, 02:03 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,933,478 times
Quote:
When I was in college I would study for an hour and then go do something else (mostly taking a walk) for 15 - 20 minutes. The quick walk would clear up any brain fog that was beginning to descend upon me and just improve my mood in general. I think that this is fairly common among students.

The one exception that I made to my "study one hour/frisk around for 15 minutes" routine was when I took calculus. I hated calculus with every fiber of my being. The only way I could do my calculus homework was sensory deprivation. Seriously. I had a table and chair set up in the basement which had no windows, no TV, no music - nothing but a study lamp, a blank notebook and my calculus book. I'd enter calculus land for two or three hours, then come up for air for a bit and then it was back to my dungeon again. This was the only way I could pass that class.

It's just human nature for our attention to begin to wander if we are forced to do something that is boring or difficult. If your current study routine works for you, then keep it up and know that you are not alone.

Old 10-24-2022, 02:08 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
That's my normal flow, and it works for me.

I'm normally not good at sitting still, so during TV in the evenings I usually fold clothes, crochet... something.

During the day I alternate between being productive (chores) and things I find more fun, such as a hobby or hiking.

If I do all "fun" stuff then I don't feel like I accomplished much.... and I NEED that feeling of accomplishment.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-26-2022, 08:10 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,136,009 times
Quote:
Why can't I just do one for hours and not get bored?. If I'm watching Netflix or playing video games, after about an hour or two I just don't enjoy it anymore and feel like learning or being productive. If I'm just learning or doing something that I don't necessarily enjoy, I can't do it for more than an hour before I start craving something fun. I have to alternate between the 2. When I alternate I feel better. It's like that's how my mind works and it pushes me to behave this way otherwise I'll be miserable.
Typically one might have fun 2 hours a day; learn 1 or 2 hours a day; and work/be productive 8-14 hours a day. Maybe it's the last part you don't have enough of in your life (do you have a job? are you a full-time student?).

You may have trouble concentrating; perhaps you have ADHD which should not be used as an excuse.

But there's not enough here to make any conclusions.

Old 10-26-2022, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Typically one might have fun 2 hours a day; learn 1 or 2 hours a day; and work/be productive 8-14 hours a day. Maybe it's the last part you don't have enough of in your life (do you have a job? are you a full-time student?).

You may have trouble concentrating; perhaps you have ADHD which should not be used as an excuse.

But there's not enough here to make any conclusions.
I'm currently unemployed. I'm not sure if I have ADHD. I don't think I meet most of the symptoms except for not being able to focus or pay attention for a long period of time. I might be able to, but it'd get boring. I resonate with some of the other comments on here where they have to switch between having fun and learning/being productive. I'll look into ADHD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology