Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2022, 11:21 AM

12,779 posts, read 14,996,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yologuy01 View Post
Why can't I just do one for hours and not get bored?. If I'm watching Netflix or playing video games, after about an hour or two I just don't enjoy it anymore and feel like learning or being productive. If I'm just learning or doing something that I don't necessarily enjoy, I can't do it for more than an hour before I start craving something fun. I have to alternate between the 2. When I alternate I feel better. It's like that's how my mind works and it pushes me to behave this way otherwise I'll be miserable.

That doesn't sound bad. I'm sure many people are that way. Some can do either activity for longer hrs, but as long as you get your work, homework, work report(s), etc. done, then alternating's fine.

The problem is only when you notice that you're working on your work into the wee horus of the night/morning & it's affecting your sleep, etc. Then, you'll want to do more work & less fun, so instead of 1 hr of each, do:

2 hrs of work, then 1 hr of fun & alternate back & forth

OR

3 hrs of work, then 1 - 1.5 hrs of fun & alternate back & forth

...because MOST people just want to get work over w/ as fast as they can. But for you, when you run out of work & have run out of fun stuff, you should start doing some hobbies then & there's plenty of those to do:

- learn a new language
- learn martial arts
- learn to cook
- get a pet & train them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2022, 12:59 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,409,851 times
There's actually a time management technique called the Pomodoro Method that some people swear by that is setting a timer and working for a period of time, then taking a break for a period of time.

Old 10-29-2022, 08:11 PM

20,018 posts, read 13,496,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yologuy01 View Post
Why can't I just do one for hours and not get bored?. If I'm watching Netflix or playing video games, after about an hour or two I just don't enjoy it anymore and feel like learning or being productive. If I'm just learning or doing something that I don't necessarily enjoy, I can't do it for more than an hour before I start craving something fun. I have to alternate between the 2. When I alternate I feel better. It's like that's how my mind works and it pushes me to behave this way otherwise I'll be miserable.
You are just describing the phenomenon of hedonic tone. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Everyone finds some things more interesting / fun / easy or challenging in a good way, more so than others. It is easier to motivate yourself and to focus if the task interests you.

If you think that you are having more difficulty with this than most people, you might have yourself evaluated for attention deficit disorder. That's a pretty treatable problem in most cases.

Personally I alternate throughout the day between work and play. I am a 100% remote worker and I set my own hours and within some pretty broad limits, can work whenever I wish to. My limit is probably 2 hours of really concentrated, intense work. Fortunately I also have a variety of responsibilities, some way easier than others, and seldom have tight deadlines. So I also alternate difficult and easy work throughout the day. Some days, perhaps after a poor night's sleep, I do nothing BUT easy work. I suspect that most people would prefer to work this way but in the typical office panopticon, can't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology