Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2022, 01:11 PM

4,855 posts, read 2,669,970 times

Advertisements

he smoked petrified poop in a pipe....there's gotta be a limerick in there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2022, 01:36 PM

19,620 posts, read 12,215,689 times
A lot of guys around the internet think this man was cool or "based", living his life on his own terms and beating the odds by making it to such an old age.
He must have built up quite an immune system.

Old 10-26-2022, 03:50 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,384,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
I took it more as if the OP may have been poking a little fun but it was good natured fun. People need to lighten up a little.
Unless of course if one has mental illness in one's family. Then it is not so funny.

Old 10-27-2022, 04:07 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 hours ago)

27,160 posts, read 13,444,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
That doesn't mean they usually die by 75.7. Life expectancy rate calculation includes all deaths, including children. Just like they say "in 1930 average life expectancy was 59", but there were plenty of people older than that. But childhood deaths from diseases like measles, infant mortality rates etc were higher so that skews the number down to 59.
I think I can work out what average life expectancy means, and 94 is a good age even in Western nations.

Old 10-27-2022, 09:45 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,970,303 times
I don't think the bath killed him. I'd think it was a combo of the following:

- seems to just have strong immune system (hereditary in his genes) to last 94 yrs

- eating all that roadkill, etc., his body got used to those types of germs, whereas if you & I did it for the first time ever one day, we'd die or be deathly ill

Old 10-27-2022, 10:50 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,447,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I don't think the bath killed him. I'd think it was a combo of the following:

- seems to just have strong immune system (hereditary in his genes) to last 94 yrs

- eating all that roadkill, etc., his body got used to those types of germs, whereas if you & I did it for the first time ever one day, we'd die or be deathly ill
It could have been stress, too, if the bath was forced on him.

Old 10-27-2022, 10:25 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,411,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
he smoked petrified poop in a pipe....there's gotta be a limerick in there...
Yeah. Where's Finn?

Puts a whole new spin on loving the smell of a man and his pipe.

Old 10-27-2022, 10:35 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,411,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post

I read the book, "Clean: The New Science of Skin" by James Hamblin.
We do ruin the chemistry of our body by using soap, lotions, shampoo, etc. It was an interesting book that made one think.
By no means would I give up soap, lotion, shampoo, etc. However, I am very organic and read labels.

Unless you have been hot and sweaty, there is no reason to take a shower everyday. During the winter, I am an every third day shower person--if I do it everyday I end up like a prune with very dry skin. Our skin/body is an amazing piece of chemistry.

Anyways...time for me to take a shower.
Years ago I read Life on Man by Theodore Rosebury, about all the various flora and fauna that live on human beings and how we sometimes ail from them but also benefit from their freeloading. Very interesting.

The one that really gets me is that we all have mites living in our eyebrow follicles. They come out when we are asleep to mate on our face. Aaargh! I wish they'd stop that. And last I heard no one knows what their purpose is.

https://www.healthguidance.org/entry...-Eyebrows.html

I've been aware of this man for quite a while and am glad to hear what finally happened to him. And we sit here in the lap of luxury and complain. LOL.

When I was a kid in the Forties and Fifties all my young playmates and I were regularly given worming medicine. That was considered good health care for a child who played outdoors most of the day. Bet it sounds freaky to today's young moms.

Old 10-28-2022, 02:17 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,384,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
To all germaphobes...

Haji, covered in soot and living in a cinder-block shack, was reported by local media not to have bathed with water or soap in more than 60 years. Villagers said he had experienced “emotional setbacks in his youth” that led him to refuse to wash.

Amou Haji’, who did not bathe for half a century, reportedly ate roadkill and smoked pipe filled with animal excrement and believed that cleanliness would make him ill.

Well, it did! He died last Sunday, soon after he took his first bath after more than 60 years.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ter-first-wash

Sad to hear of it. IDK, he must have been afraid of water perhaps he almost drowned as a child. Long term depression will result in long periods of poor hygiene. Poverty can do that too. Maybe if he had running water available in his shack he might have dipped a toe. Perhaps he only gave himself a sponge bath?

Old 10-28-2022, 04:15 AM

13,302 posts, read 7,867,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
To all germaphobes...

Haji, covered in soot and living in a cinder-block shack, was reported by local media not to have bathed with water or soap in more than 60 years. Villagers said he had experienced “emotional setbacks in his youth” that led him to refuse to wash.

Amou Haji’, who did not bathe for half a century, reportedly ate roadkill and smoked pipe filled with animal excrement and believed that cleanliness would make him ill.

Well, it did! He died last Sunday, soon after he took his first bath after more than 60 years.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ter-first-wash
Yeah, I read that on Marco Polo's journey he was introduced to many people cooking their meals on camel briquettes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology