Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2023, 06:59 AM

1,912 posts, read 1,131,665 times

Advertisements

One of my New Year’s resolutions is to stop being rude and to stop arguing online.

From now on, I am not going to be rude or argue online. And if someone is rude to me or wants to argue, I am not going to engage.

This is in the psychology forum because I read in the Wall Street Journal that you can change your personality, even late in life, and taking a small step at a time helps do that.

So, everyone, if you see me being rude or arguing, you can hold me accountable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2023, 08:15 AM

11,800 posts, read 12,043,246 times
If that's your goal then stay out of the P&OC forum here.

Old 01-16-2023, 01:12 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,744,165 times
If you are finding it hard to control your online behaviors, isn't that a strong message that you should probably log off and try to get your human contact needs met another way?

Old 01-16-2023, 01:21 PM

11,109 posts, read 7,174,871 times
It's possible to be snarky and witty, without being rude.

It's possible to share ideas and debate, without arguing.

Maybe steer between those bounds.

Old 01-16-2023, 02:02 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,535,798 times
I'm not going to get into the differences between debates and arguments but civilly discussing disagreements can be beneficial.

Old 01-17-2023, 10:15 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,600,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
One of my New Year’s resolutions is to stop being rude and to stop arguing online.

From now on, I am not going to be rude or argue online. And if someone is rude to me or wants to argue, I am not going to engage.

This is in the psychology forum because I read in the Wall Street Journal that you can change your personality, even late in life, and taking a small step at a time helps do that.

yes, but what if someone attacks something verbally that is very crucial for you. Do you stand up for your beliefs or do you let that person go on attacking you? Lets say they are attacking God and you have a very religious person? Do you think that silence is agreeing with them?

or lets say someone makes fun of handicapped people and you are handicapped. (disabled). what if they say disabled people are less than human or are stupid or something? do you just sit by and let them get away with it?

Old 01-17-2023, 11:24 AM

2,114 posts, read 1,051,679 times
Quote:

So you were actually so argumentative and rude that you are bound and determined to be nice this year? Wow. That should be a given. Certainly everyone (including myself) has been rude not meaning to be, but it sounds like you were World Champion Rude & Mean of 2022. Why ?

Old 01-17-2023, 02:46 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,685,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
yes, but what if someone attacks something verbally that is very crucial for you. Do you stand up for your beliefs or do you let that person go on attacking you? Lets say they are attacking God and you have a very religious person? Do you think that silence is agreeing with them?

or lets say someone makes fun of handicapped people and you are handicapped. (disabled). what if they say disabled people are less than human or are stupid or something? do you just sit by and let them get away with it?
The OP is only talking about online interactions, not IRL interactions. It seems easy enough to avoid situations online where people aren’t going to be supportive- like over in POC. If you go there, you can expect arguments and heated attacks. If you go into health and wellness and someone starts with a personal attack, you can typically report it and the other person will get an infraction. That is a far more productive approach than having a fight on CD or getting moderated elsewhere.

Old 01-17-2023, 05:50 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,469,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
It's possible to be snarky and witty, without being rude.

It's possible to share ideas and debate, without arguing.

Exactly. Some people perceive any disagreement as "opposition" and personal attacks, and some people "hate" your screen name, so anything they experience from you will be negative. You could say "hello" and they will have a visceral reaction because they've determined inside themselves that they don't like "you".

Good luck with your resolution, OP!

Old 01-17-2023, 07:27 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,199,560 times
Quote:

Will be watching you …
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology