Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2015, 03:51 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,778,590 times

Advertisements

Launched out of Charlotte Beach Cx with Bucknut on his boat for its maiden fishing voyage. We were joined by his brother-in-law. We crossed a moderately choppy harbor the headed south to one of the west wall creeks that's produced for me recently. We arrived in a whipping east wind on a falling tide. We tucked into the mangroves and were impressed by the tidal current, was draining the creek before our eyes. We worked live shrimp but only found a skate. Slowly worked out way back outside and the wind was a solid 15, with seas of 2-3'. Knowing we had only planned a half day outting we decide the best bet was to brave the crossing of the harbor from west to east and find shelter on the east side.

We set up just north of Pirate Harbor and fished live shrimp under popping corks. We released a couple of short speckled trout, a Bonnethead shark and bagged one Ladyfish for cut bait on another trip. The ride back was much smoother...seas laying down to a light chop.

The big, bright moon overnight likely limited our feeding time during early to mid-day but we still had fun. The boat ran great and Bucknut enjoyed a few firsts out there and I got to try out my snook mask.
Attached Thumbnails
Fishing Charlotte Harbor Area-image.jpeg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 07:05 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,004,461 times
There are MANY professional fishing guides in the area who will be glad to take you out and put you on the fish. Not many strangers will take you up on what you're looking to do. A few reasons that come to mind are: 1) awkwardness if you don't get along, 2) stress of not catching fish, 3) liability if you were to get hurt on their boat.
If you don't want to spend the $400 on a guide, then perhaps getting a few dozen shrimp and hitting the local fishing piers would be a good option. Don't forget the FWC license!

Old 11-01-2015, 08:43 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,628,316 times
Well said Harbor Hopper. I get tired of taking my brother out after a few days. Never mind a couple of people you don't know on a smaller boat. But then again they're probably great guys!!!!

Old 11-01-2015, 11:12 AM

1,393 posts, read 1,554,660 times
Yep, ya never know. And it's not like you can use 'em for chum if they turn out to be PITAs. Well, I suppose you could but...

Old 11-01-2015, 11:51 AM

1,917 posts, read 2,632,310 times
And above all unless the person taking you out is a licensed captain what you are suggesting would be illegal.

Gary

Old 11-01-2015, 12:09 PM

535 posts, read 1,032,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyGras View Post
And above all unless the person taking you out is a licensed captain what you are suggesting would be illegal.

Gary
👍
What Grary said

Old 11-01-2015, 12:13 PM

1,393 posts, read 1,554,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock creek View Post

👍
What Grary said
Why's that? We were asked to go out on a boat for the day, swimming, etc... and I paid for the gas for the boat. Just curious why that'd be illegal? I understand why no one would do it, but don't understand the legal thing. I get the liability issues, just not the legal one.

Old 11-01-2015, 01:17 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,824,892 times
I wouldn't consider that illegal you are not chartering him. I have had plenty of people offer to buy gas and bait.

Old 11-01-2015, 01:30 PM

535 posts, read 1,032,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaRay35 View Post
I wouldn't consider that illegal you are not chartering him. I have had plenty of people offer to buy gas and bait.
That maybe but the Coast Guard could ask passengers if they helped pay for fuel if they did it is illeagl
Good or bad it's the law

Old 11-01-2015, 01:54 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,824,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock creek View Post
That maybe but the Coast Guard could ask passengers if they helped pay for fuel if they did it is illeagl
Good or bad it's the law
I stand corrected never heard of that before. Learn something new all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte