Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 12:28 PM

493 posts, read 1,387,009 times

Advertisements

Hello, my wife and I are new to the Sarasota-Bradenton-Venice forum and would like to pose what I think are very common questions for most that live in the area.

1. We are early to mid 50's in age so in about a year we will officially be called seniors. I'm coming off of a lay off and looking for something to do to make a little money, so, any suggestions on that note? I'm willing to do just about anything, I have a sales-Engineer background.

2. My wife is stable in her job and is in management with Wal-Mart so she will transfer from Michigan.

3. We are sort of interested in mobile home living, from a cost savings perspective, and interested in buying a home as well should that be the route we take. Is buying a mobile home a good idea? We see all kinds of real estate for sale but not a great deal in Punta Gorda. Specifically single family homes that are in the 90-100K range as we see alot of today in North Port for example. Can anyone tell me the reason, or is Punta Gorda not as bad off with regard to real estate as other areas nearby?

4. We are considering renting for a short time, with the hope of finding the area we like before we buy, but having 3 dogs we are not sure that will work. Don't get me wrong they are well behaved, but people who have rentals are not too quick to buy off on our principals alone and rent to us! Any suggestions would be appreciated there as well.

5. Our time frame is mid to late summer 2010 for the move.

Last edited by Foxrivman1; 01-04-2011 at 12:52 PM.. Reason: Wanted to change font
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 01:38 PM

3,179 posts, read 6,004,461 times
Me and a few other members live in or near PG. Personally, I would never consider a mobile home within 50 miles from the coast due to hurricane threats. Charlie came right through PG in 2004, destroying hundreds, if not thousands of mobile homes (and single family homes). There's so many excellent deals on standard construction block homes right now, I think you would be much happier going that route. Plus, if you decide to move later on, good luck selling that mobile home.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:30 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,925,572 times
I would tend to go agree with Harbor Hopper on the mobile home part. Now as far as values go, Punta Gorda's prices were running in the mid to low $400's and North Port was running in the high 100's and low 200's. So, when the prices dropped (sometimes in half). You get mid to upper 200's in PG and mid to low 100's in NP. Also many of the homes in PG are on canals with gulf access. For this reason the properties tend to hold their value more.

Now back to the mobile home thought. I know Granmallie, who posts here on occasion, lives in a mobile home park in North Port and she seems to be quite happy there.

Good luck with your search.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:43 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,152,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrivman1 View Post
5. Our time frame is mid to late summer 2010 for the move.
you missed it !!!

Old 01-04-2011, 04:47 PM

Default Time Frame

I stand corrected, it is 2011 of course!

Old 01-04-2011, 04:50 PM

Default Concerning mobile homes

SoFLGal are you a local realtor to North Port or Port Charlotte? We are not dead set on a mobile just trying to watch our money and would probably rather be in a home. Do you know of people that would rent to us with our dog situation?

Old 01-04-2011, 04:51 PM

Thanks for the feedback, my parents lived in a mobile in Arizona for years, but I know my Mom could not wait to get out of it and buy a house once my Dad passed.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
SoFLGal are you a local realtor to North Port or Port Charlotte? We are not dead set on a mobile just trying to watch our money and would probably rather be in a home. Do you know of people that would rent to us with our dog situation?
Yeah the office is in Port Charlotte, I live in North Port and I service Sarasota and Charlotte counties. I don't personally handle rentals but if you DM me I can give you some info on a few people in town who do.

I do have a few rentals of my own in the area and personally speaking, I would rather rent to someone with an animal. My experience is that, in general, people with pets seem to be more responsible.

On the mobile question, I think you need to see what's available in your price range in both mobiles and SFR and compare insurance rates and go from there.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:10 PM

SoFLGal is insurance typically higher for mobiles than houses, and from what I have been reading the "Wind rating" a house has enters into the rates as well. DM?

Old 01-04-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
SoFLGal is insurance typically higher for mobiles than houses, and from what I have been reading the "Wind rating" a house has enters into the rates as well. DM?
There are sooo many factors that go into the insurance rates these days so I almost hate to cross the line into the territory but I can give you a few things to look for that are big on the insurance companies "rating scales".

Hip roof
hurricane protection-roll down, shutters, none, etc
How close you are to a fire hydrant or natural body of water
what's the home made of-frame, block, etc
how old is the home?
How is the roof tied down?
How close it is to the coast?

This website might be of help: Compare Homeowner's Insurance Rates

Also while we're on the subject check out www.mysafefloridahome.com Make sure you get a wind mitigation inspection done on your home. It can save you a ton of money. My insurance went from $1987 per year to $727 per year. The inspection is usually a few hundred bucks to have completed.

To Direct Message someone you just click on their name and click send direct message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte