Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 05:54 AM

535 posts, read 1,032,344 times

Advertisements

With all due respect to the wildly popular "Fishing Charlotte Harbor" thread, is there any interest in a pleasure boating thread that just includes the joys of cruising around the beautiful waters of Charlotte harbor and the near Gulf Coast
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 07:40 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,094,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock creek View Post
With all due respect to the wildly popular "Fishing Charlotte Harbor" thread, is there any interest in a pleasure boating thread that just includes the joys of cruising around the beautiful waters of Charlotte harbor and the near Gulf Coast
Rock are you in PGI? In the PGICA (Civic Association) there are clubs like Seafarers, Cruisers, and others that have groups of people that plan trips / outings - day trips that do that. I'm a member of the Seafarer's club. You do have to live in PGI to join the civic association.

What kind of boat do you have?

Old 05-07-2012, 07:41 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,005,586 times
As much as I love fishing, my boat is a cruiser and we are cruising people. $5/gallon fuel has definitely put a damper on the amount of cruising we do though. Only been out to the gulf islands twice on the boat this year so far. It's a $300 round trip in fuel, so I figure we'll go out once or twice a month this summer.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
Rock are you in PGI? In the PGICA (Civic Association) there are clubs like Seafarers, Cruisers, and others that have groups of people that plan trips / outings - day trips that do that. I'm a member of the Seafarer's club. You do have to live in PGI to join the civic association.

What kind of boat do you have?
I will be in Port Charlotte in my home on the Pellam in 2 weeks when my prioroity ,after unpacking my mega load of boxes, is to get a boat. The misses insists on a full head no, porta potty I'm leaning tword a Sea Ray I know people will argue about I/O drives but my neighbor has a 30' Baja and swears he has no problems

Old 05-07-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
As much as I love fishing, my boat is a cruiser and we are cruising people. $5/gallon fuel has definitely put a damper on the amount of cruising we do though. Only been out to the gulf islands twice on the boat this year so far. It's a $300 round trip in fuel, so I figure we'll go out once or twice a month this summer.
I know the gas prices will severly limit my cruising but this is something I've dreamed about for years and the reason I bought a house on a gulf access canal

Old 05-07-2012, 08:40 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,005,586 times
Quote:
The misses insists on a full head no, porta potty I'm leaning tword a Sea Ray I know people will argue about I/O drives but my neighbor has a 30' Baja and swears he has no problems
I have a 32ft Maxum with twin I/O's. You'll be fine as long as the trim/tilt works for both drives. You WILL use it A LOT, especially navigating the canals at low tide. Make sure you have 2 or 3 anchors aboard for island hopping and anchoring at the beach & sand bars.
Are you sure you want a Sea Ray? You're paying a lot for the name. There are so many other great brands of cruisers that cost less (many made by the same company that makes Sea Ray).

Old 05-07-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
I know the gas prices will severly limit my cruising but this is something I've dreamed about for years and the reason I bought a house on a gulf access canal
You won't be able to join the Civic Association - but there are a lot of other boating and Yacht clubs around.

My wife, and daughters, wanted the "head" option on our boat too, but never used it. We just head to a marina when ever the need arrises. It's never been a problem in the 7 years I've had the boat - but - had to have. :-)

Friends of ours try to save money by hauling gas cans from Gator's Petroleum to the boat (saves about $1 a gallon), but when your boat holds a couple hundred gallons - that's a lot of work too, but it adds up and is incentive to make the effort.

I eventually will get a cruising type boat which my wife will enjoy more, we have cushions for our boat that we use for joy riding and day trips where fishing isn't involved. I have a 21' Sea Hunt, Center console, 115 Yamaha and it runs fast, doesn't use that much gas, and can go just about anywhere - of course you never have a perfect boat. I need a cruiser, or a sail boat, and a flats boat - I'm not sure but I don't think that my neighbors will let me have 4 or 5 boat lifts.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:54 AM

413 posts, read 828,900 times
Quote:
I have been contemplating one of these MACGREGOR 26 HOME PAGE
Anyone know if they would work out in our area? With the water ballast they do not draw alot of water, was out on one at our place in Weekiwachee, seemed like a good choice between sailing and powerboat especially considering the price of fuel.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
I have a 32ft Maxum with twin I/O's. You'll be fine as long as the trim/tilt works for both drives. You WILL use it A LOT, especially navigating the canals at low tide. Make sure you have 2 or 3 anchors aboard for island hopping and anchoring at the beach & sand bars.
Are you sure you want a Sea Ray? You're paying a lot for the name. There are so many other great brands of cruisers that cost less (many made by the same company that makes Sea Ray).
Do you have any sugestions I like the 27' Sea Ray SunSport nice cabin full head, not as bulky as the Sundancer I am open to about anything. I have seen several Sea Rays in the 20,000 to 25,000 range I am interested in.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dave View Post
I have been contemplating one of these MACGREGOR 26 HOME PAGE
Anyone know if they would work out in our area? With the water ballast they do not draw alot of water, was out on one at our place in Weekiwachee, seemed like a good choice between sailing and powerboat especially considering the price of fuel.
There are some of those I've seen in PGI. I don't know anyone that has one, but the last time I went by one with a friend that has a sailboat and a smaller power boat - he said they are the worst of both worlds, not the best of both worlds. I've never been on one, so all I can do is pass along his comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte