Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 10:15 PM

3 posts, read 5,156 times

Advertisements

looking for a nice hotel to stay in Punta Gorda, Florida while looking for real estate property. We lived there in 2002 and would like to return.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 04:56 AM

5,173 posts, read 4,947,721 times
We stayed at the "PG Waterfront Hotel & Suite" on two different trips while we were looking for a house this spring. The first stay was fine. The second stay, though, was a little more eventful. The first room they gave us had ants. They moved us to a second room which had no internet access (which we needed ). The third room was fine. The staff was accommodating and never rude, even with my repeated room changes. And the included breakfast was good too. It's right next to a waterfront park with a trail to Fisherman's Village, which we walked to when we had some free time.
We also checked out the "Four Points by Sheraton Punta Gorda Harborside", but my frugality trumped the niceness of the hotel!

Old 08-29-2012, 05:46 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,965,150 times
For old-time, Florida goofy motel, try Banana Bay. For more upscale, try the Wyvern. We stayed at both while house hunting, and liked both (for different reasons). I heard Banana Bay is for sale, so you might want to check carefully before counting on a reservation, although in this economy, I suppose every hotel and restaurant is for sale, whether you know it or not. Good luck with your househunting.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:46 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,004,461 times
Four Points (Sheraton) is very nice, AND best of all, they have a tiki bar right on the waterfront!

Old 08-29-2012, 07:01 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,552,117 times
There are quite a few hotels in Punta Gorda on the water. I haven’t heard anything bad about any of them. Check around for rates and see which one might have amenities you are looking for. Don’t know if you need Internet access or what.

Four Points by Sheraton Punta Gorda Harborside is on the edge of Charlotte Harbor. You can walk across the street to Laishley Park. It is kiddie corner to the Wyvern Hotel.

The Wyvern Hotel, not right on the water but you can walk across the street to the Harbor and Laishley Park.

Punta Gorda Waterfront Hotel and Suites is just over the bridge going from Port Charlotte to Punta Gorda and it is on the Peace River. The Charlotte Harbor and Event Center is across the street. You can walk to some downtown restaurants. It is also right next to Gilchrist Park.

Fishermen’s Village has vacation rentals as well. It is right on the Harbor with lots to do.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:32 AM

260 posts, read 563,298 times
We stayed the Sheraton for the 4th of July, and I thought it was a very nice place.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:18 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,552,117 times
Stay away from the Knights Inn in Punta Gorda. It is near a truckers stop. Some people were just arrested there in connection with a prostitution sting.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:20 AM

5,173 posts, read 4,947,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamRE View Post
Stay away from the Knights Inn in Punta Gorda. It is near a truckers stop. Some people were just arrested there in connection with a prostitution sting.
One time when we were down, that was the only hotel we could get a room at (the airshow was that weekend plus some other stuff going on as well). The first room we saw reeked of dog (?) urine . The next room was acceptable since we couldn't find any other hotel.

Definitely would NOT recommend unless it's a last resort.

Old 08-29-2012, 02:05 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,965,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
One time when we were down, that was the only hotel we could get a room at (the airshow was that weekend plus some other stuff going on as well). The first room we saw reeked of dog (?) urine . The next room was acceptable since we couldn't find any other hotel.

Definitely would NOT recommend unless it's a last resort.
Have stayed at 2 other Knights Inns as a last resort when on the road. Both were dumps; I would seriously consider sleeping in the car if I had to make that choice again.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:12 PM

3 posts, read 5,156 times
Thanks for all the advice. Last time i was there, the 2 hotels we always had friends stay at were the Best Western and the Holiday Inn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte