Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2013, 07:52 AM

5,167 posts, read 4,939,822 times

Advertisements

We came home last night to the sound of water running in our master bath. Problem is that no faucets were turned on! This morning, I dug out around the foundation outside of the bath wall and found water coming from the first course of block above the footer . I also opened up the wall under and behind the vanity to expose the pipe since it's loudest there. Everything was dry, which leads me to think the leak is under the slab. I've narrowed it down to a cold water pipe, but that's it. Does anyone have any experience with any of the leak detection companies such as Sleuth, Mike Douglas Plumbing, or any others?
I have to keep reminding myself, "It's just another day in paradise!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 12:02 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,024,707 times
Not sure how old your house is, but all my plumbing is now in the attic (cpvc) due to under slab leaks. The copper made in certain years will get corroded from our "hard" water...or so i hear. So if one pipe popped a leak others may follow, unless it is just a bad solder joint. If your house is from the 70's the best route may be a full re-plumb in the attic. Cost is normally under $5k from what I've heard. If the plumbers give you a high estimate for the leak repair you may want to get an estimate from the companies that do full re-plumbs.

The pipes in the attic made it much easier for me to tap into the water supply for things like my ice-maker and dock water, and I was able to relocate my kitchen sink easily when I remodeled.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:35 PM

463 posts, read 866,623 times
I have used sleuth at work and they got the job done.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:53 PM

700 posts, read 1,818,146 times
Wow, that suks! Good luck and let us know how it works out. We're an '83 house built the same way........

Old 04-15-2013, 07:39 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,775,337 times
We had one 2 years ago. After consulting with The Plumbing Doctor II, we decided the best bet was to repipe the whole house (which is now 30 years old). 2b2b cost us $3200 and we were highly satisfied with the job and the service. You can find them online. 3 people on my blck have used them now.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:17 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,784,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborRat View Post

The pipes in the attic made it much easier for me to tap into the water supply , and I was able to relocate my kitchen sink easily when I remodeled.
how did you move the drain?

Old 04-15-2013, 11:57 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,024,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM8560 View Post
how did you move the drain?
The drain was in the wall. I had to pitch it down through the next 2 cabinets. I guess I could have done the same with the supply but it was nice to just do 1 clean hole, and the supply was 3 feet from the drain. Ok, maybe that wasn't so much easier, but the rest was

PS. If you quote only part of a (my) post please make it known with some ......... in the deleted spaces; It kind of changes the main point of the statement, thanks.

Last edited by HarborRat; 04-16-2013 at 12:05 AM..

Old 04-16-2013, 06:19 AM

5,167 posts, read 4,939,822 times
Update: Sleuth came out yesterday and found the leak under the slab. He narrowed it down to within 1 foot. Thankfully (I guess) it was centered in the bathroom; not under the vanity or shower pan. All said and done, it cost me 5 floor tiles (two removed and three others chipped during the removal of the other two) and $375. He put a "temporary" patch on, which he said will outlast the copper pipe that was leaking, so we had water back on prior to him leaving. I have several cases of floor tile that came with the house when we bought it, so it won't be an issue patching up the floor.
She-whom-shall-be-obeyed and I are in agreement; we'll do this once but the next leak, or next year (whichever comes first) we'll be going overhead with a re-plumb job.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:14 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,545,164 times
Pin hole leaks are a common problem in Florida. To read more about it go to the Sarasota Utilities info: Sarasota County Copper Plumbing Facts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte