Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 11:15 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 124c41 View Post
We had a farm house that had the old grease trap/ septic tank system, 500 gallons total between the two, and just put some yeast powder in every month or so, and never had problems with it. As far as " recycled tp" that Travelassie mentioned, the main reason we wouldn't use it is that anything other than something with Aloe in it we compare to 80 grit sandpaper on the texture scale. Comfort ranks high on the list for us.
LOL, I can't argue about the relative discomfort of the recycled paper- you'd swear sometimes you might get a splinter from using it.

That's why we settled for the Publix recycled TP- it's not too bad,IMO. As for dissolvability, I don't think Scott's (not recycled) was too bad either, and it is pretty soft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trbl39 View Post
We never had a septic system prior to moving here either. And I guess I just don't "get" it. I have an aerobic system and have only lived here a year and had to have it pumped out this past May at a cost of $250. In Charlotte County it is inspected once a year by the county and you must be signed up with a contract to a company that will inspect and clean or whatever is needed every 6 months. This cost me $400 for 2 years with Martin Septic.

There are only 2 people living here. I do have a garbage disposer but am careful to clean off plates and food waste into trash. Only things that go down there are maybe tiny bits left on the plate. They also said no grease or oil. I put all grease or oil into a can and then into trash. Also said to wipe plates and pans out with a paper towel before rinsing to get off excess grease. I tried that for a bit. That gets to be insane after awhile. You start looking for oil and grease everywhere. Should I not throw the leftover coffee down the drain, because coffee beans can have some oilyness to them, should I not put this or that, etc etc. Actually my excess coffee usually goes to my plants. And the not having a washer and dishwasher or shower going at the same time or showers in a row. Really? For awhile there I was feeling guilty if I put a wash on and went to take a shower.No bleach and no chemicals down the drain, got it. No fabric softner or any type of petroleum products. Powder detergent for both the washer and the dishwasher. No cleaning of latex paint brushes at the utility sink. Got it, got it, got.

I questioned over and over as to why I needed a pumpout so soon as it was apparently fine when they checked it when I moved in. I cannot imagine if there was a whole family living here! I guess I will wait and see what happens next year and be prepared with my $250 for a pumpout!
Well, it seems that the aerobic septic systems are a whole 'nuther animal as far as I can see. When we built our house here we were told aerobic tanks were required if the property was waterfront and less than 1/2 acre, and if the septic tank could not be placed at least 100 feet away from the water. Fortunately we had an acre on which to build and the placement of the septic system and drainfield was not a problem, so we didn't have to put in an aerobic system. As I read about these systems, it seems they're used when soil or other conditions on a property don't allow for an adequate drainfield.

We were informed that these aerobic septic systems are more expensive to install, must be pumpedmore often and require electricity to run and by law must be inspected twice a year, making them a lot more complicated than the soil-absorption septic systems.

http://www.nesc.wvu.edu/pdf/WW/publi...ne/PL_WI96.pdf -

AEROBIC Septic Systems (Aeration Septic Systems) - ATU Aerobic Treatment Unit Installation & Maintenance in the U.S., Florida, Georgia, Texas, North Carolina, South Carolina, and other locations - Alternative Septic System Designs: for wet sites, ste

Old 07-15-2013, 11:44 AM

142 posts, read 204,233 times
I am even more confused than ever now....brewer's yeast, Ridex, dissolvable tp to fishing out tp??

In Charlotte County it is inspected once a year by the county and you must be signed up his with a contract to a company that will inspect and clean or whatever is needed every 6 months.

Does this mean I need to get a contract lined up with someone right now even though my tank is new? (installed this year)

Old 07-15-2013, 12:48 PM

397 posts, read 813,732 times
One school of thought........................IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:13 PM

3,179 posts, read 6,002,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea.lass View Post
I am even more confused than ever now....brewer's yeast, Ridex, dissolvable tp to fishing out tp??

In Charlotte County it is inspected once a year by the county and you must be signed up his with a contract to a company that will inspect and clean or whatever is needed every 6 months.

Does this mean I need to get a contract lined up with someone right now even though my tank is new? (installed this year)
Where did you hear this? Your septic operating permit is good for 5yrs. Contact the health dept to see when yours is due again. There is no 6 month cleaning. No annual inspection. No contract needed. Trust me, its a non-issue. When it needs to be pumped, your dumper pumper of choice will take care of everything. Just be nice to your system (as folks have kindly suggested here) and you will be fine.
Be aware, if my area goes through with the CCU sewer expansion (commissioners finally vote in a couple of weeks), YOUR area is next. It will double your water bills and cost you $10-12,000 ($500-600 per year for 20yrs on your property taxes)

Old 07-15-2013, 01:18 PM

Sea.Lass, it depends on where you live in Charlotte County, and what type of a system you have. I guess that's more confusing, but basically, we're talking about two types of septic systems.

The more simple of the two is a soil absorption type, basically the waste water from the house flows through pipes into a buried septic tank. The solids sink to the bottom of the tank where they are biodegraded by microorganisms, the liquid remains at the top, and flows out through another pipe to the drain field. The drain field is a series of buried pipes with holes in them, and the water flows from these pipes into the surrounding soil. There are no pumps/motors, the system works basically on gravity. I think there was a post by Mike (8650?) on page two of this thread that showed a good picture of this type of septic system.

If you have a soil absorption system, you may or may not be required to obtain a permit from Charlotte County ( DOH) and have this system checked every five years. Depends on where you live. The DOH CharlotteCounty site (see link) shows that this is required for homeowners who live in the Manchester Waterway drainage area. Outside that area it would appear that such requirements aren't in place, so you can see if you're located in that general area- your realtor and neighbors would know that for sure.

Managed Septic Systems - Environmental Health

The other type of septic system is an aerobic treatment unit (ATU). This type of system requires electric to operate aerator and other pumps to move the water from one tank to another. These are used when property conditions are unsuitable for a drainfield- too small, too close to a waterway, poor soil drainage. These systems require by state law biannual inspection by the county and maintenance of all records, and it doesn't matter where they are located, the requirements are the same. Here's a link describing these systems:

AEROBIC Septic Systems (Aeration Septic Systems) - ATU Aerobic Treatment Unit Installation & Maintenance in the U.S., Florida, Georgia, Texas, North Carolina, South Carolina, and other locations - Alternative Septic System Designs: for wet sites, ste

You can determine which type of system you have- I'd think either the sellers can give you that information ( and hopefully provide manuals or other written owner information, especially if the system is new). You'd be more likely to have such written information with an aerobic system. Or youcan ask either the seller or realtor who installed the septic tank, contact the contractor who can give you pertinent information, including possibly an inspection schedule and instructions if you have an aerobic system.

If you have a regular soil-absorption system, you can see where your new house is located to see if Charlotte County requires you to obtain a permit and have the system inspected once every five years. It looks like Charlotte County requires homeowners living in the Manchester Waterway drainage area ( see link) to do that. You can check the map to see if you're located within that area, otherwise your new neighbors or your realtor should know that. If you're located outside that area, there doesn't seem to be any requirement to have the system checked, although it's a good idea to do so. You just don't have to go through the rigamarole with the county health department outside that area. The Charlotte County Health Department administers the septic inspection programs, and they maintain a list of home and business owners in the area to whom these regulations apply.

I'm not familiar with the care and feeding of an aerobic septic system, but with a little care and knowledge, a soil-absorption system can be pretty much trouble-free. We don't use our garbage disposal- other than to grind up very small particles of food that end up in the sink after we clean it out, we don'toverload the system with multiple loads of laundry over a short time,along with multiple long showers, we don't clean paint brushes inside, etc and we figured we'd get the system checked periodically. But other than that, there isn't a lot to worry about.

I hope this helps!

Old 07-15-2013, 01:22 PM

142 posts, read 204,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
Where did you hear this? Your septic operating permit is good for 5yrs. Contact the health dept to see when yours is due again. There is no 6 month cleaning. No annual inspection. No contract needed. Trust me, its a non-issue. When it needs to be pumped, your dumper pumper of choice will take care of everything. Just be nice to your system (as folks have kindly suggested here) and you will be fine.
Be aware, if my area goes through with the CCU sewer expansion (commissioners finally vote in a couple of weeks), YOUR area is next. It will double your water bills and cost you $10-12,000 ($500-600 per year for 20yrs on your property taxes)

Thanks Harbor Hopper...It will double your water bills and cost you $10-12,000 ($500-600 per year for 20yrs on your property taxes. That made my day! (just joking) thanks for all the info.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
Harbor, apparently the six month cleaning/inspection requirements are for aerobic septic systems- under state laws, not for the run of the mill soil absorption septic systems (thank goodness!). There are likely quite a few of those aerobic systems around the county- on waterfront properties that are less than 1/2 acre.

Apparently it's the non-aerobic septic systems located in the Manchester Waterway drainage area, including the Spring Lake area ( and I have no idea where that might be, LOL) that are subject to the five year inspection requirements.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:13 PM

Yep, I'm on W. Spring Lake (Spring Lake Blvd, just off Edgewater) and have a standard system which requires the 5yr permit.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea.lass View Post
Thanks Harbor Hopper...It will double your water bills and cost you $10-12,000 ($500-600 per year for 20yrs on your property taxes. That made my day! (just joking) thanks for all the info.
We'e been fighting this hard for over 3yrs. Its unnecessary and complete waste of taxpayers money, as usual with government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte