Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 08:05 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,152,641 times

Advertisements

we rented for about 10 years before we moved here, we came on vacation at least 2-3 times a year

our top priorities were , nice pool area, preferably south facing and also quiet.
the inside wasn't so key , we just wanted it nice and clean
we spent 99% of our waking time outdoors
oh and internet is a must
most homes also offer cable Tv
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 08:06 AM

21 posts, read 24,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
The canals in Rotonda have a lock that you pass thru to get into Charlotte Harbor. There are no locks in Port Charlotte but a general rule is that canals north of Tamiama are considered freshwater canals. They have spillways leading to the saltwater canals. If you want something that you can transit by boat to the open water of Charlotte Harbor then you have to look pretty much south of Tamiami. Then you are only limited by your bridge clearance, which in most cases is about 10 feet. Unless you want sailboat water (meaning no bridges to open water), then you need to look pretty much south and east of Edgewater and Midway respectively or off of the Manchester Waterway. Plus there are some areas north of the Rt. 41 bridge, but I don't know if that's still considered Port Charlotte or Punta Gorda.
I heard about the locks on the canals and appreciate your input! We will look into that further before moving forward.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
we rented for about 10 years before we moved here, we came on vacation at least 2-3 times a year

our top priorities were , nice pool area, preferably south facing and also quiet.
the inside wasn't so key , we just wanted it nice and clean
we spent 99% of our waking time outdoors
oh and internet is a must
most homes also offer cable Tv
That was a good idea vacationing in the areas first for awhile before you bought your home. I don't think we would be able to get away so often. I do wish we could get away, especially in ths cold weather! Brrrr!!

Old 01-27-2014, 08:28 AM

180 posts, read 277,234 times
From Mr&MrsSunshine - lastly don't think you MIGHT HAVE to use a management company, will WILL have to. you will need someone on the ground to handle the day to day stuff....making sure people move in/out ok, supervising proper cleaning, attending emergencies speedily, checking lawns and pools are attended to...it goes on.

I totally agree. They handle everything and are well worth the fee. They check your property, do backgrounds, and have handymen, electricians, plumbers etc that will actually show up and do a decent job. They will also handle the unpleasant stuff if you do get a bad renter. You need somebody down there checking on things.
Now I know VRBO is a popular site, and people have good luck with that. I talked to someone who rented their house out through VRBO and they have a trusted person who does the housekeeping after renters leave and is available in case of emergency. I don't know how other property owners do it.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:23 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
If you rent it 'seasonal' or 'vacation', you will need to furnish the home...furniture, decorations, sheets, blinds, pots/pans, etc. You also pay for all utilities, often including cable and Wi-Fi. Plus pool service and lawn service.

If you rent it out annually, it's usually rented vacant except landlord usually supplies the fridge/range and blinds are usually included. Sometimes you choose to pay for lawn service and/or pool service and then charge a higher rent to cover these. It depends on what you choose to do in this area.

Seasonal rentals can sit vacant for 6-8 months of the year. Jan-Feb-Mar are the prime rental months and you might get overlap of Nov/Dec and April if you are lucky.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:37 PM
CTC

668 posts, read 1,467,122 times
To the OP. You should be easily able to cover your expenses by renting out your place during the season. I would say a place in Rotunda-with a pool would go for at least 2500 per month.

Our modest North Port home goes for 1800-2000 during season and we are booked for 2015 already! we use Homeaway

Also if you can drop your price during the off season, you might be surprised-we have had people interested during summer months too (and book) . A pool is a major plus.

I think what helped us was cultivating connections-like neighbors who help to keep an eye on things and finding good services which we trust when we are gone (pool/AC/homewatch/electrical etc).

And when you are down there-make it a working vacation. Spend time working on your property. Make it a priority. Get to know your neighbors. Know that although you might not be able to come down during the season, May and Oct are pretty sweet as well (the two months we are able to visit) Feel good that it is yours and you have something to look forward to in the near future (ie moving to SW FL in a good financial state).

We are on track to moving down full time in 2015 with a paid off home

Good Luck!!

Old 01-27-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTC View Post
To the OP. You should be easily able to cover your expenses by renting out your place during the season. I would say a place in Rotunda-with a pool would go for at least 2500 per month.

Our modest North Port home goes for 1800-2000 during season and we are booked for 2015 already! we use Homeaway

Also if you can drop your price during the off season, you might be surprised-we have had people interested during summer months too (and book) . A pool is a major plus.

I think what helped us was cultivating connections-like neighbors who help to keep an eye on things and finding good services which we trust when we are gone (pool/AC/homewatch/electrical etc).

And when you are down there-make it a working vacation. Spend time working on your property. Make it a priority. Get to know your neighbors. Know that although you might not be able to come down during the season, May and Oct are pretty sweet as well (the two months we are able to visit) Feel good that it is yours and you have something to look forward to in the near future (ie moving to SW FL in a good financial state).

We are on track to moving down full time in 2015 with a paid off home

Good Luck!!
CTC,

Thank you for all your helpful information! We will check out Homeaway too! If we did buy a house we did plan on trying to get to know our neighbors and take some "working vacations". How much of your mortgage and other expenses were you able to cover with renters? Did you only do seasonal renters?

Thanks!
BB

Old 01-27-2014, 02:18 PM
CTC

668 posts, read 1,467,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Boomer View Post
CTC,

Thank you for all your helpful information! We will check out Homeaway too! If we did buy a house we did plan on trying to get to know our neighbors and take some "working vacations". How much of your mortgage and other expenses were you able to cover with renters? Did you only do seasonal renters?

Thanks!
BB
100% of our expenses-

Mortgage: not really sure-perhaps 1/3-1/2 ???

Seasonal renters-but others have long term renters.

We bought in 2011-very different than now....one could easily buy a pool home for less than 100k (like ours) back then.

Homeaway is linked to VBRO-we get inquiries from VBRO too.

Old 01-27-2014, 03:10 PM

Is Cape Coral an area that I should check out for homebuying??

Old 01-27-2014, 03:36 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,152,641 times
i wouldn't be...nowhere near as nice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte