Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 06:59 PM

60 posts, read 77,948 times

Advertisements

We continue our search for a Winter home in PGI or BSI. We used to sail an inland lake but haven't had a boat for 15 years. At this point we think we'd like a deck boat to just leisurely meander up and down the canals. Does anyone do that? If that is our usage then time out to the main harbor is not that important for us. We have 3 large dogs that love to go out on our friend's pontoon boat for a meander on their small lake. That is what we are thinking our boating will mostly be. The dogs, a glass of wine and just getting on the water and waving at the neighbors. We don't fish and major boating travelling somewhere w/the dogs is not practical. Will be the weird ones if we just meander up and down the canals and wave at the neighbors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 07:08 PM

5,176 posts, read 4,951,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krnfitz View Post
..... Will be the weird ones if we just meander up and down the canals and wave at the neighbors?
Nope...you'll fit right in.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:56 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,028,832 times
We do it all the time. I've had many deck boats but always went back to pontoons, much simpler and better on gas at low speeds.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:00 PM

518 posts, read 1,232,107 times
I have bad health and that is all I can do. Plus my wife loves to check out the houses.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:12 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,554,801 times
A leisurely cruise on the canals and the Peace River is quite the norm, enjoy it at whatever pace you choose and you will not be weird. This area offers all types of boating - small boats, large boats, fishing boats, power boats, sailboats, canoes, kayaks - take your pick!

Old 04-05-2014, 10:01 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,094,441 times
That is one good way to go!!
I have a friend that just changed out from a small deck / fishing boat to a 17' pontoon. He takes his dog out fishing with him. He is a long way out to the harbor from the rim canal, and just idle speed, and casting to the bank he catches a variety of nice fish. Mostly a lot of mangrove snapper, but nice size ones, and plenty of them. If you like bass fishing, you fish for them much the same way - casting toward the shore with a slow retrieve.

People cruise the canals for sightseeing all the time, so no one will pay you any mind. Leisurely cruising with a glass of wine, out to the harbor, tie up, and have a picnic and watch a sunset - you can't beat it. Unless . . . you change up and have a Yeungling instead.

Old 04-05-2014, 01:47 PM

14,956 posts, read 12,162,044 times
I thought maybe it was because we're old folks, but we find meandering in and around the Peace River and its tributaries upriver more to our liking than fast boating out to the Harbor and on to the Gulf. We're about to purchase a 20 foot pontoon boat for just that purpose- it seems safer, and easier for old folks new to boating, and a lot easier ( we hope) on our wallets. We could make it down to the Harbor, down Hunter Creek, in under a half hour, we figure, if we wanted to use the option. We'll see where it takes us when the boat arrives, LOL.

Old 04-05-2014, 04:42 PM

535 posts, read 1,032,537 times
Down here old is mid 90's

Old 04-05-2014, 06:20 PM

14,956 posts, read 12,162,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock creek View Post
Down here old is mid 90's
LOL! We're in our 60's ( I'm 66 and DH is 68). Now that you mention it, we have been referred to as "youngsters" by some of the older folks we hang around with, our doctors, bankers in this neck of the woods, and it amuses me to no end. Gee, I went from being "the old lady" among my coworkers before I retired, to a "youngster" once I retired and moved to this Paradise. Who'da thunk it??

Old 04-06-2014, 11:55 AM

1,721 posts, read 2,788,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
LOL! We're in our 60's ( I'm 66 and DH is 68). Now that you mention it, we have been referred to as "youngsters" by some of the older folks we hang around with, our doctors, bankers in this neck of the woods, and it amuses me to no end. Gee, I went from being "the old lady" among my coworkers before I retired, to a "youngster" once I retired and moved to this Paradise. Who'da thunk it??
on my first visit to port charlotte I had late lunch at the red lobster I was the youngest guy in there and that was 10 years ago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte