Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 06:10 PM

5 posts, read 5,248 times

Advertisements

My husband, 12 year old daughter and myself will be relocating to Florida. I have a job offer in Englewood. We will be visiting, of course, however wanting any advice on schools, neighborhoods, etc for anywhere between Englewood and Punta Gorda and other nearby areas. What I'm reading about Punta Gorda I like (love) but have to think of my 12 year old as well. We will be renting until we know for sure where we want to be. Would love to rent a home with a pool or an apartment would be fine. On the water would be ideal, however I don't want to spend too much--around $1200 or less.

What are your thoughts on schoold districts? Are there many kids in Punta Gorda, Englewood area (or anywhere inbetween)? Suggestions for kid friendly, safe neighborhoods?

Thank you so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 07:09 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,787,772 times
I don't have kids living with me anymore, but id say there are probably more kid around Englewood then Punta gorda. I lived in east county and would have hundreds of kids visit my home on Halloween 4 years across the Myakka river never had a kid. if your not interested with a canal house Id look into rotunda near Englewood nice area.

Old 08-31-2014, 04:32 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,152,641 times
Englewood is definitely 'younger'. I also think there can be a difference between 'Punta Gorda' and PGI.....be careful

Having said Englewood is younger there still isn't a lot for kids to do, which can lead to problems....I coach soccer at EYSA , last year under 19s and boy were some of them 'interesting', this year I have 12 and 13 year olds, many of whom go to LA Ainger in Rotonda which everyone speaks very highly of. The High Scholl, Lemon Bay, also seems decent.

Mike makes a very good point , Rotonda is a nice area...................but then living and building homes there I am biased !!!

Old 08-31-2014, 06:48 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,004,461 times
My wife and I are mid-to-late 30s with a 4 1/2 yr old. We just moved from Port Charlotte to Englewood a month ago and love it! Depending on your current commute to work, it may not be a big deal, but my wife is currently driving 35 mins to work everyday and HATES it! Your drive from PG to Englewood would be 40-50 mins each way. That's a lot of time behind the wheel. But we sure love being close to the beach and the sandbars :-)

Old 08-31-2014, 09:47 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,446,599 times
Charlotte Co has the second oldest population in the nation. Lots of retiree's down here (us included). I agree that Englewood/Sarasota would be better for kids. Englewood is nice, but you seriously might look at Sarasota, not that much further up 41.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:04 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,552,117 times
In this area North Port has the lowest median age which is in the 40's. The schools are great and there are a lot of activities for kids to get involved in. Some parts of Englewood are in the Sarasota County School District and other parts are in the Charlotte County School District. Lakeside Plantation is a very kid friendly community. You may be able to find something to rent in your price range there. If you are looking to be on the water, then there isn't much other than a single family home or condo somewhere. We do not have a lot of apartments in this area. Toledo Club Apartments in North Port are nice and so is Lakes of Tuscana in Port Charlotte.

School Districts
Sarasota - Sarasota County Schools - Home
Charlotte - Charlotte County Public Schools Home Page

It is a good idea to come down and look at the area. What appeals to one person may not appeal to another.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:11 PM

5 posts, read 5,248 times
I appreciate everyone's input!! It makes it much easier to help narrow some things down. We will be down to check it out but our time will be limited. I do love the idea of a short commute! I currently drive 45 minutes but gosh--to not have that AND be close to the beach--not sure why I would want to live anywhere else! TamRe, will definitely check out the areas you mentioned. Also, is the commute from Sarasota to Englewood long?

Old 09-02-2014, 06:57 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,004,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by china-girl View Post
Also, is the commute from Sarasota to Englewood long?
Depends on where in Sarasota. Anywhere from 25-50 mins, depending on the location and traffic (remember, traffic is horrible in the winter-figure twice the time to get anywhere along the coast than spring/summer/fall)

Old 09-03-2014, 05:38 PM

1,268 posts, read 3,000,708 times
In general, englewood does have lots of families but there isn't one neighborhood that attracts families; they are spread out and activities tend to be scheduled. Rotonda is a nice area, but finding an annual rental is tough. Homeowners tend to rent seasonally.

Punta gorda is nice too, but in my opinion the schools are better in Sarasota County and PG would be a 45 min drive to any beach and to englewood for work.

Stoneybrook in Venice would be worth looking at. It would be a 15 min drive to englewood and there are lots of families there. It's also close to I-75, and a 20 min drive to either englewood or Venice beach.

We live in North Englewood and my hubby commutes to DT Sarasota every day; it's an hour drive each way. There is housing in the university area that would be more like a 40 min commute to englewood.

Old 09-05-2014, 03:39 PM

8 posts, read 12,955 times
I would look at Port Charlotte as well. If you are planning on renting in an apartment I would check out The Lakes at Tuscana. It is a very nice property. The whole area is wonderful from Englewood to Punta Gorda. North Port is the fastest growing spot in the area and actually in the top 20 fastest cities in the country. Englewood, Venice and Punta Gorda definitely are "older" than North Port and Port Charlotte with median ages in the mid 60's compared to just over 40 for North Port and 50 for Port Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte