Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2015, 11:07 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,114,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamist53 View Post
Wow Punta Gorda sounds wonderful!! I think I will check it out rather than Ft Myers. Its not that far away ican always visit family. Thanks a lot Big House. Will look forward to reading more from you .
Always happy to answer questions. It is an Awesome place to live. Always lots to do, festivals and events, and the people on this forum are great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 06:57 PM

55 posts, read 52,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJNE17 View Post
If one buys a house in Punta Gorda, does the assessed value (i.e., property tax basis) get automatically increased to the sales price when title change occurs, or does it stay consistent with the assessed value at time of sale?
We closed at the end of June '14. Our taxes were almost immediately updated and increased significantly (+1800/yr). We are 2nd home owners...so goodbye Homestead exemption and all of the other controls that were actively reducing increases of the previous elderly owners taxes...luckily we had a clause in our closing that stipulated that the seller make up his half of the difference in taxes from what was estimated at closing to those represented by the reappraisal and increase of RE taxes.

FWIW though...worth every penny and cant wait to come back end of April

Old 03-20-2015, 06:59 PM

22 posts, read 35,126 times
Love your photos

Old 03-24-2015, 02:39 PM

747 posts, read 1,015,422 times
Congrats to you!

We just finished what felt like a world tour of SW Florida, and long story short I still think there's nothing quite like Punta Gorda. Better value all around. I'd have to say Marco Island is a close 2nd, but only for the beach and the vivid blue water. That's one heckuva beach, and the clear blue water--absolutely stunning.

One thing's for sure, and my wife commented on this specifically: in no place we went were people as friendly and approachable like those in PG. On any given day when there, at any hour or any place, it's always dozens of "hi" or "hello" from complete strangers.

When down there for New Year's eve we even got a roaring "happy new year!" from a bunch of guys dressed in kilts and joined by their wives, all enjoying outdoor patio dining at a local restaurant, as we walked past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEC1 View Post
We closed at the end of June '14. Our taxes were almost immediately updated and increased significantly (+1800/yr). We are 2nd home owners...so goodbye Homestead exemption and all of the other controls that were actively reducing increases of the previous elderly owners taxes...luckily we had a clause in our closing that stipulated that the seller make up his half of the difference in taxes from what was estimated at closing to those represented by the reappraisal and increase of RE taxes.

FWIW though...worth every penny and cant wait to come back end of April

Old 03-24-2015, 03:34 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,971,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJNE17 View Post
Congrats to you!

One thing's for sure, and my wife commented on this specifically: in no place we went were people as friendly and approachable like those in PG. On any given day when there, at any hour or any place, it's always dozens of "hi" or "hello" from complete strangers.

When down there for New Year's eve we even got a roaring "happy new year!" from a bunch of guys dressed in kilts and joined by their wives, all enjoying outdoor patio dining at a local restaurant, as we walked past.

We've always said that we've never met friendlier people than in PG. Whether you're at a bar, or just standing in line at the Publix deli, you strike up a conversation with somebody, and have a good laugh over nothing in particular.

Old 03-24-2015, 03:38 PM

747 posts, read 1,015,422 times
We saw this mailbox post in front of a house on Marco Island.

It is, hands down, the best mailbox post ever.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:05 PM

13 posts, read 26,118 times
Great thread!!!!!!!! Thank you to everyone who has contributed.
I am planning my retirement early and have been researching like crazy.
From what I gathered I found that Cape Coral was the place for us, but now I really
need to check out Punta Gorda and Port Charlotte. Seems like it's more laid back and
home prices are lower, and many of the homes are newer. I want to be near a decent size city
and it doesn't look too far.
What I did like in the area of the Cape and Ft Myers was the restaurants where you can drive your boat to and dock there and eat. Are there any restaurants in PG or Port Charlotte to pull up and park your boat?
I'm having a hard time finding that info...maybe because there are no such places.
Thanks again for all the great info. We are renting a house and boat for a week in Cape Coral this July to see what it's like in the heat of the summer and will definitely now be checking out the area to the north.

Old 03-29-2015, 06:12 AM

2,118 posts, read 3,786,241 times
AZtoFL, welcome to the forum. Like you, the Valley of the Sun was my home but for 42 years. I grew up in Maryvale and watched it turn into Scaryvale. Our last home was in Tramonto, at I-17 & Carefree Hwy. we spent every other weekend living on our Sea Ray cruiser in Pleasant Harbor Marina, on Lake Pleasant. In 2007 I accepted a promotional transfer to FL, having never visited the State. Never changed planes here. Just knew here was lots of water, lots of boats and that's what I wanted for the second half of my life. My geographic choices were anything south of Tampa to Naples or anything south of Vero Beach to the Keys. The only catch was I had to pay the bills after the first 30 days. To read my blog of those early years, go to Messing About in South Florida: A life changing telephone call

There's over 7 years of research there. Be sure you go in date order to enjoy the most of it. Navigate using the archives on the right side of the page and work from the bottom up.

Like you, we originally thought Cape Coral. Until we found out about Charlotte Harbor, Port Charlotte and Punta Gorda. Thank goodness we did. I could spend hours telling you why you should chose this area over that but we'll let you decide for yourself after visiting. Like me, you see, to be a research nut. You'll figure it out, I'm quite sure.

The summary of my opinion lies in the lack of violent crime in Charlotte County vs Lee County, the wonderful small town atmosphere here yet convenience of restaurant/shopping/recreation choices abounds, the lower cost of living and that wonderful estuary, Charlotte Harbor. Not only that but it seems to me that the Cape Coral City Givernment is a real mess. We get our news out of the NBC affiliate in CC/FM and there's been a lot of negative coverage over the years about the finances or lack there of in that town. Not that our County leaders are up for any awards themselves, I just remember the first few years here thanking my lucky stars we didn't buy and live in the Cape. (Again, this is just my personal opinion). You can follow the local news on NBC-2.com. In PHX we liked channel 10 news. Here, we can't stand the Fox affiliate news out of Cape Coral. They are like Junior High School broadcasters. Stick with NBC2 here.

I think there is a paradise for every budget, between Port Charlotte and Punta Gorda. I think the boating and fishing is better here. (See stories on the Caloosahatche River being polluted by Okeechobbee water releases. Then come here and spend a day on the Peace River Eco Tour out of Fishermens Village).

I'd post a map of all the places you can boat to dine at but the photo would be too large. I will let you google them and explore. Here's a short list:
Half a dozen restaurants at Fishermens Village
Hurricane Charley's
Laishley Crab House
Wonderful Sunday brunch at the Burnt Store Marina
Cabbage Key Restaurant
Myakka River Oyster Bar
Nav-a-gator Bar & Grill (great ride up the Peace River)
Gasparilla Grill & Marina
Palm Island Restaurant

But what I hope you'll find is your favorite place to dine is your own poolside table, after grilling the freshest fish you ever ate, caught on your own boat in the backwaters somewhere amongst the mangroves with not another sole in sight.

You should think about rescheduling your July itinerary in The Cape and spend half that week in a rental with Charlotte Harbor access. It could change you mind and change your life. It did mine.

By the way...you got some courage coming here for the first time in July. I arrived in December 07 and had 6 months to acclimate to the humidity. You are coming at shock time. For me, the summers here have nothing on the extreme heat of Phoenix. But we get 10 months to prepare for July/August. Just know that what you are going to experience is the worst we have to offer. I'd really encourage you to start coming back Oct-April, when we use neither heat, nor AC. The house is open. It's heavenly. Here's your forcast comparison for this week. Admittedly, we are in a cold front, but we'll take it.
Attached Thumbnails
Chat Thread - A fun & informative discussion about the Punta Gorda & Port Charlotte area.-image.jpg  

Old 03-29-2015, 07:21 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,971,931 times
Great post, MA. Don't forget the Tiki Hut; not as swank as Burnt Store Marina, but a lot closer, and more pleasant than docking next to Harpoon Harry's dumpster at Fishville :-)))

Old 03-29-2015, 11:56 AM

55 posts, read 52,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZtoFL2021 View Post
Great thread!!!!!!!! Thank you to everyone who has contributed.
I am planning my retirement early and have been researching like crazy.
From what I gathered I found that Cape Coral was the place for us, but now I really
need to check out Punta Gorda and Port Charlotte. Seems like it's more laid back and
home prices are lower, and many of the homes are newer. I want to be near a decent size city
and it doesn't look too far.
What I did like in the area of the Cape and Ft Myers was the restaurants where you can drive your boat to and dock there and eat. Are there any restaurants in PG or Port Charlotte to pull up and park your boat?
I'm having a hard time finding that info...maybe because there are no such places.
Thanks again for all the great info. We are renting a house and boat for a week in Cape Coral this July to see what it's like in the heat of the summer and will definitely now be checking out the area to the north.
I couldn't agree more with the comments of "Messing"...we did almost the same thing as you, and started in Cape Coral...we even made an offer on a home there (fell through thank God)...that's how close we got...then we made the wonderful and serendipitous decision to take a drive up to PGI...and never looked back.

As I mentioned above, we closed on our future retirement home last June. We're currently using our home every chance we get and renting when we can't be there (which has worked out great because of the type of people that rent in PGI take care of your home as well as you would).

Besides the canals, harbor and everything that goes with that...there is a peacefulness and tranquility that is palpable in PGI and an exciting buzz in the downtown...nowhere (that I've been) does the friendliness exceed this place. Pride in community is evident everywhere you go.

It is warm and humid in the summer but as MA said it's bearable (waaaay better than the winter we just endured here in N.E.)...and the other seasons are heavenly.

Do yourself a huge favor and at least visit...better yet...stay for a few days (there are hotels that overlook the harbor)...you will not regret it...and like us, will likely never look back...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte