Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 09:22 AM

3 posts, read 3,200 times

Advertisements

We are looking at a beautiful home on Foremost Lane (off of Ohara in PC). Not knowing squat about PC, I'm wondering your thoughts. Our criteria was easy access to open water and since we're motor boaters and not sail boaters, we don't really care about the one bridge.

Should we look off of Edgewater instead as far as Real Estate investment goes for a comparable house/lot/view or are both areas prime in PC?

Is there going to be any development/growth in off of Ohara area?

The elevation level of the home was reported at 7.9 feet. Is that okay? horrible? good?

Canals good for fishing off of Ohara side?

THANKS SO MUCH FOR ANY OF YOUR THOUGHTS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 10:11 AM

1,973 posts, read 2,277,561 times
IMHO.. 7.9 is a walk away look elsewhere.. Water blow/flow through vents in garage door dead giveaway to elevation.. Unless you pay cash ... if there is EVER a mortgage you / they will be required to have Flood Ins. it could cost you when you sell later.. Looking off Edgewater right now would be a PITA! and It will be that way for at least 2 More YEARS! I suggest you go to one of the better realty search sites and punch in water front your target range $$$ Pool ? No Pool? and see whats available.. Close to the harbor I cannot think of a bad area.. some are better nicer $$$$ Than others. There are NO LESS than 2 really nice search sites but we cannot list them or link them on the board.. Could do in a direct message ..
BTW.... you state both.. Looking at and just bought? which is it? you know nothing about PC so I have to ask what makes you think you will like here?

Last edited by Macgregorsailor51; 05-29-2015 at 10:28 AM..

Old 05-29-2015, 10:55 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,030,629 times
That is a great area. Very nice, quiet and safe. "Open water" will be at least a 45min slow cruise though. This whole area is rated 8ft elevation and that street has newer houses so I would think it would have been built higher up, whatever code was at the time. Fishing is hit or miss there. I usually miss. All in all it is one of the nicest areas of PC and probably a great investment.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:16 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,937,772 times
Hi Pam,

Other then boating what is your criteria? Do you have kids? Jobs or retired? Do you want more of a community like Punta Gorda Isles or is the area over off OHara fine. One of the benefits of buying in PGI is that the city maintains the seawalls. Also you are close to the downtown area with the shops, restaurants, Fishermans Village, etc with a little more info we can get you going in the right direction

Old 05-29-2015, 02:32 PM

3,179 posts, read 6,010,007 times
There will not really be any further development in the O'Hara area, other than a new house built on a vacant lot here & there. That area, and all waterfront areas around PC were developed many years ago.
We lived on West Spring Lake for 5 years. Had a fantastic westerly view, and 20 min no-wake cruise to open water. The elevation was 9.6, so we were above the 8ft base flood elevation for that area, making our flood insurance at the time cheap at around $550/yr.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:12 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,559,272 times
The area where Foremost is located, as you will see if driving around the neighborhood, has mixed sizes and ages of homes. 8 Base Foot elevation is common in that area. See if the current owner has an elevation certificate so that you can check for home insurance quotes. Newer homes will be built to current elevation code.

Collingswood Pointe is right near Foremost, those homes have deed restrictions and are very nice. Which end of Foremost is the home located? Near the culdesac or Ohara? Either side you have one bridge out to open water. Check out Fishin Franks web site for fishing information. Be sure to get a home inspection. There are still vacant lots around that area, so there could be new construction. The neighborhoods are pretty much the same from Ohara to Edgewater between Collingswood and Midway. Pretty decent area.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:20 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,955,579 times
Nice, quiet area. I live a few blocks from that area (Foremost Lane), as the bird flies, on the Ackerman waterway...takes me about 20-25 minutes to open water. I'd guess it would take you another 5 min???
Being so close to Collingswood Blvd. gives you quick access to the Murdock area where you'll find the mall and most of your big box and nationwide name stores (Bed, Bath, & Beyond, Home Deport, Walmart, Sams, etc.), North Port shopping, and easy access to I-75 via Toledo Blade Road. And, in two years (hopefully no longer) the Edgewater project will be complete and you'll be able to have easy access to Punta Gorda instead of catching all the lights along Tamiami.

Old 05-29-2015, 05:24 PM

159 posts, read 693,595 times
I live in Collingswood Point. Very nice area back here. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the area. If you have little ones, it may be a little rough finding others for them to play with though.

Last edited by kwiktsi; 05-29-2015 at 06:12 PM..

Old 05-29-2015, 06:25 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,228,291 times
I only saw one house for sale on Foremost. If that's the one you're buying you are getting a beautiful house. Very nice!!!

Old 05-30-2015, 07:22 AM

3 posts, read 3,200 times
Thanks to all who have responded. You have helped me very much. We are retirees. i'm 61 and husband is 63 so no little ones except for a 5 year old grandson that lives in Bonita Springs who had better visit his PamPam a lot!

Husband is a fisherman and left all of his fishing buddies back in NC. By the way, if anyone loves to fish, could show him the ropes (either on his 16 ft) or your boat and he'd pay for the gas - let me know.... So very excited to be a Port Charlotte'ian. He's a quiet man but a sweetheart and loves to fish! If not, let me know who would be the best guide in that area (affordable) - i would love to surprise him.

There are actually 2 houses for sale on Foremost Lane - one is a 1 story at the other end of the street from the 2 story one on the culdesac. The one (soon to be ours) is a one story. We have a contract on it - went By Owner- and are due to close soon. Our flood insurance is $1,100 annually with the 7'9 elevation. That's expensive but trying not to worry about future increases with FEMA. Our home is a one story closer to the cup-de-sac side. Looking forward to meeting our neighbors! I am falling in love with PC!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte