Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 07:05 AM

281 posts, read 405,951 times

Advertisements

Could someone please point me to Florida's legal definition of a single family residence. I have done some Googling with no luck. I am not looking for opinions, just the written legal description.

Thanx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 07:36 AM

1,917 posts, read 2,630,289 times
There is no such thing, every county and city writes their own code as to what constitutes a single-family residence.

There could be variations such as the minimum size allowed, the maximum size allowed, the height of the building, type of garage is it just goes on and on and on.

However they all have one thing in common structure is meant for the occupation of one single family.

It's not so much the structure that dictates occupation as it is municipal code. For instance if you're building a big house and you want to kitchens, you can have two kitchens. It's still a single-family house as long as it's not occupied by more than one family

Gary

Old 06-07-2015, 07:57 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,085,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyGras View Post
There is no such thing, every county and city writes their own code as to what constitutes a single-family residence.

There could be variations such as the minimum size allowed, the maximum size allowed, the height of the building, type of garage is it just goes on and on and on.

However they all have one thing in common structure is meant for the occupation of one single family.

It's not so much the structure that dictates occupation as it is municipal code. For instance if you're building a big house and you want to kitchens, you can have two kitchens. It's still a single-family house as long as it's not occupied by more than one family

Gary
In Maryland, in Baltimore County, they wrote a definition that two unmarried women, that were not directly related in a nuclear family type way could not live in the same dwelling unit together. The attempt was to prohibit prostitution, but it was problematic because college girls liked to board together to save money, so it was not regularly enforced, but I think it is still on the books up there. I know they have written similar laws that prohibit things like gangs, and other criminal behavior, but I don't know much about them.

You're point being that, each municipality creates its own set of code / rules is correct, but generally one jurisdiction copies the rules of another. If they have been previously tested in court and upheld it is less expensive for a jurisdiction to model their code / intent from one that has been proven to be enforceable rather than writing their own.

Old 06-07-2015, 08:40 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,547,697 times
There is no one specific definition of single family home because there are so many variations and land use designations.

Charlotte County Governing Board Zoning Regulations - SECTION 3-9-32. RESIDENTIAL SINGLE FAMILY (RSF)

http://www.charlottecountyfl.com/Com...y_Original.pdf

Old 06-07-2015, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamRE View Post
There is no one specific definition of single family home because there are so many variations and land use designations.

Charlotte County Governing Board Zoning Regulations - SECTION 3-9-32. RESIDENTIAL SINGLE FAMILY (RSF)

http://www.charlottecountyfl.com/Com...y_Original.pdf
Thanx but the definition I am looking for would be as to what is a single family house not allowable uses.
Something like a single family home is a residence to include one family and and blood or marital relatives etc. etc. If it is a county legal definition I am looking for Charlotte county.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:14 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,149,074 times
'generally' suitable for one family but in some areas an in law suite is permissible,,,but not for use as a bed and breakfast

Old 06-07-2015, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
Thanx but the definition I am looking for would be as to what is a single family house not allowable uses.
Something like a single family home is a residence to include one family and and blood or marital relatives etc. etc. If it is a county legal definition I am looking for Charlotte county.
I don't believe there is any such definition.
People that live in the house don't need to be married and they don't need to be related in anyway, Single Family is more of a label than it is a definition. Provided they don't exceed the capacity limits, if there is a definition under single-family home then anybody can live there.
An example would be a group of college students renting a house instead of living in the dorm.
Gary

I'm guessing you have more than one family living in the house somewhere in your neighborhood???

Old 06-07-2015, 09:36 AM

There has to be a legal definition somewhere.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
There has to be a legal definition somewhere.
"one family and and blood or marital relatives etc. etc." Would be unconstitutional. Government cannot dictate who can live in the residence.

Call the county code enforcement department. If there is a definition other then "it can't be a business" they will tell you it's unenforceable.

It might be helpful if we knew the background behind the question.

Gary

Old 06-07-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyGras View Post
"one family and and blood or marital relatives etc. etc." Would be unconstitutional.
I was not suggesting that was the definition. I was using it as a very brief example to better describe what I was looking for.
With all due respect to all the opinions, I am only looking for a Fla. or CC written legal description. There has to be one.

Thanx Again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte