Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 09:19 AM

5,021 posts, read 7,450,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03bluecoupe View Post
Is it normal down here for contractors/workers to tell you they'll be at your house at a time and do a job and then just never show up or call and let you know?

We're in the middle of a project and several times people have said things like "we'll be here first thing in the morning and do <fill in the blank>". Never show, never let us know, nothing.

Is that the norm down here?

It seems like communication and professionalism is just non-existant. .
Absolutely the norm in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 09:24 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Well, no offense intended but if you weren't around then you weren't dealing with people who said "we'll be there bright and early in the morning" and never showed or called. They didn't have to, you were absent and not home waiting for someone to show up.
Our experience with tradespeople in SW FL has been very good, overall, as well, and I can tell you we WERE here to see what time they came, and whether or not they showed up. For the most part, they kept their word, did a good job, and didn't try to rip us off.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:35 AM

1,917 posts, read 2,631,029 times
i was lucky with my construction and used a contractor recomended by MA. For other jobs I needed to be done I have gotten the names from Coral Coast and they have all been excellent.

When I first purchased the house it needed exterior paint, the guy I hired too 2-1/2 weeks to complete the job.
Every day he would say"See you tomorrow morning" and would show up about 3pm.

My landscaper does a very good job but if you want something new and tell him no rush it could take months.

Old 12-16-2015, 01:38 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,823,257 times
I have been lucky myself. My builder was great as were his subs and people I have hired after, fence, landscaping, blinds, cleaners, etc have also been on the mark. I am also lucky to have been familiar with the are and have many friends that have been here for years

Old 12-21-2015, 11:56 AM

81 posts, read 134,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
very good thanks.

we started a new home this week, presold at full asking price.

got the go ahead on a 2600sf 4 bed this week , handshake deal, before client knew final price.
got go ahead yesterday on a 1900 sf 3 bed pool home with an investor on a profit share cost basis
got the go ahead today on a 1800 sf lake home in PG , client couldn't find a builder there so she paid a premium and said do it, again no final price agreed
just finishing the design of a 3300sf custom lakefront home, again all on a handsake

I think my karma and blessings are good right now
Hoping you will be adding us to your list in a couple months.........

Old 12-21-2015, 01:10 PM

49 posts, read 56,381 times
I agree with Martygras, we are just finishing up on two bathroom remodels and he did an excellent job!! Now the fencing company we hired is a different story. We have been waiting 5 plus weeks for a permit. Got tired of asking about the status and lack of any follow through so today I called the city myself and found that the permit was issued 3 weeks ago. I then called the company and asked when we can get this scheduled and our "job" is sitting on someone's desk waiting for some sort of approval/scheduling. I told them I want it done in the next two weeks and the lady said ok but that someone would call me back. I will be calling them now on a daily basis and not waiting on them anymore. If anyone wants to know who I am talking about you can send me a private message.

Old 12-27-2015, 05:53 AM

54 posts, read 67,735 times
Wow Im a plumbing contractor in NJ for the last 25 years and getting ready to go out and look at a job Sunday morning because i promised someone last night i would. I would be out of business in a week if i didnt show up. Im getting ready to start my exit strategy to get out and am looking at a home in NW Cape Coral that I want to install a pool and lanai , boat lift and dock and i was going to hire a property management co. to oversee the work but now im having second thoughts. I love SW Fl. and the people ive meet but i wont be living there when the work getting done.

Old 12-27-2015, 06:01 AM

1,393 posts, read 1,553,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JH64 View Post
Wow Im a plumbing contractor in NJ for the last 25 years and getting ready to go out and look at a job Sunday morning because i promised someone last night i would. I would be out of business in a week if i didnt show up. Im getting ready to start my exit strategy to get out and am looking at a home in NW Cape Coral that I want to install a pool and lanai , boat lift and dock and i was going to hire a property management co. to oversee the work but now im having second thoughts. I love SW Fl. and the people ive meet but i wont be living there when the work getting done.
It may be better if you weren't here. That way you wouldn't be here for the frustration of them not standing up to their word. And in some cases just not being told the truth.

Old 05-21-2016, 09:08 AM

191 posts, read 299,642 times
Quote:
It may be better if you weren't here. That way you wouldn't be here for the frustration of them not standing up to their word. And in some cases just not being told the truth.
On the other hand...... after 3 large jobs here in almost 3 years and seeing what I've seen, I can't imagine not being present to make sure jobs are done properly. I won't bore the forum with details, but believe me, some weird things go on with the way the licenses of some contractors are used.

Old 05-22-2016, 11:17 AM

773 posts, read 786,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 road runner View Post
On the other hand...... after 3 large jobs here in almost 3 years and seeing what I've seen, I can't imagine not being present to make sure jobs are done properly. I won't bore the forum with details, but believe me, some weird things go on with the way the licenses of some contractors are used.
One guy I know, after 40 years working as an electrician up north, was told he would have to work for a Florida contractor for 4 years before applying for a contractor's license here. I have yet to come up with a logical reason for that rule.

Our experience with local contractors thus far has been - you'd better keep an eye on them if you want the job done right. When we had a new driveway installed, I saw their "layout man" laying out the forms by eye. I ended up leading the layout effort and he was more than happy to let me. When I asked him what the marks the city surveyor left on the street meant, he said, "I don't know." I feel sorry for anyone who has no experience with construction. They are at the mercy of the contractors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte