Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 07:37 AM

74 posts, read 72,695 times

Advertisements

We bought off Aysen in Deep Creek (but on the other side of Deep Creek Blvd.) about 5 years ago and have had renters until this summer. We bought cheap because we liked the layout of the house, the location, and the fact that it came with an extra wooded lot. We knew we could renovate it to be what we wanted. It sounds like you have the same plan. We're in the midst of renos...some we contracted out, some we're doing on our own. But when we're done, it'll be exactly what we want (which is the whole idea, right?)

We love the neighborhood. It's quiet and close to pretty much everything we need. Stores and restaurants are a convenient drive away...traffic is nearly non-existent. I come from the Washington, DC area; driving to the grocery store can take anywhere from 10-40 minutes, depending on day of the week and time of day. In PG, the Wal-Mart is (literally) a 5-minute drive any time of day! It's taken me some time to get used to the fact that I don't have to plan my shopping trips.

From what I've been told, once you establish residency you can apply for homestead status which will lower your costs of insurance and taxes. Of course, this might only apply once you reach a certain age...which we have.

We have lawn and pool services right now; we may discontinue them at some point because of the cost (about $225 per month). But, for us, there's a learning curve. We've never owned a pool before and the flora is totally different from what we're used to. So for right now, we're keeping them; plus, it frees us up to do other things.

One of the best things you can do is read this forum! I'm still new to the area and I've learned so much just by reading the various threads. The people here give good advice and they're quick to answer questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 11:08 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,002,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blare246 View Post
From what I've been told, once you establish residency you can apply for homestead status which will lower your costs of insurance and taxes. Of course, this might only apply once you reach a certain age...which we have.
Homestead status will save you on property taxes, but it has nothing to do with insurance. When you notify the insurance co that you're now living in the home full time, it will reduce your rate slightly.

Old 12-16-2015, 12:00 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,273,662 times
Both my home owner and flood insurance were lower than they would have been if I was only P//T.. or maybe they just said that just to ease the shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
Homestead status will save you on property taxes, but it has nothing to do with insurance. When you notify the insurance co that you're now living in the home full time, it will reduce your rate slightly.

Old 12-16-2015, 01:03 PM

3,179 posts, read 6,002,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregorsailor51 View Post
Both my home owner and flood insurance were lower than they would have been if I was only P//T.. or maybe they just said that just to ease the shock
Exactly, that's what I was saying. It will be lower as a full-timer, but it has nothing to do with Charlotte County's Homestead Exemption.

Old 12-16-2015, 01:33 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemodeled View Post
We are down right now visiting SWFL after looking in the east coast side(vero beach, PSL areas). After leaving the east coming here it is truly night and day. I didn't think the two coasts would feel so different. Within an hour of being in Port Charlotte/north port areas we knew we loved the area, much less rushing feel, people were very different and much more comfortable here. The east coast was mostly a younger crowd and the west was older. There were many reasons we like the west vs the east. We stayed in Punta Gorda, beautiful town and drove around some of the lovely million dollar homes. Port Charlotte has anything we would need as stores and dining, shopping ect. North port as well. Englewood we really liked also, smaller feel. Went out to englewood beach(was a Sunday) and was busier but walked down a little ways and very few people around. Manasota key was also very pretty. We then drove down to rotanda west to drive by a few houses our realtor sent us off the MLS. They were quite nice, seems like a good area. A lot of empty lots with trees which gives a more "country" feel.

Yesterday we drove up to Sarasota which we have been to before but loved. We ate at tide tables(5th time here, last time was a year ago and craving it since). Enjoyed driving back through longboat key, again have been here before. Very nice beach and never has been crowded to me.

So, to some it up we really loved the area and can see us calling it home. We are focusing our search in port Charlotte and north port areas. We looked at several houses with a realtor and would like some input of areas. I have done research on my own and mainly only know of Easy st area being more rough, less cared for homes. It doesn't sound like a dangerous area so much, but less desirable. Also, driving through we can see homes are older and not well kept. Other then this area, we are not to sure of other areas we saw. We checked crime maps of course but the worst area again seemed to be easy st area. Nothing else looked alarming. All neighborhoods we viewed appeared nice, better kept up.

Out of the 8 homes we toured we really liked 4. The areas were:
Deep Creek area - Aysen drive (deed restricted)
Macgill ave (sec 37)
Steele ave (sec 21)
Congress st (sec 27)

These were the most liked houses for us. Any opinions of these areas? Is west of 41 better in general? We kind of prefer to be more away from 41, not just off of it.

We are trying to get a good idea of the neighborhoods. We also are considering englewood, rotanda west and Punta gorda if we are able to find a house we like in budget. I'm pretty sure Punta gorda is fairly safe from research on here and crime rate stats. How is englewood and rotanda? Any areas of concern?

One thing that somewhat concerns me with crime is there's a strip club on 41 in port Charlotte. It seems that often crime happens in and around that type of thing - sometimes more violent. Actually, I was surprised to even see one since the area supports more retirement age people and families. I'm not sure if it's even open. It doesn't seem like port Charlotte has a high violent crime rate. We never once felt unsafe at all.

We really did enjoy our visit. Everyone was friendly we met and had a great time driving all around exploring. We will be back down sometime after Christmas. Any input of neighborhoods/sections or crime info would be appreciated!

Consider looking 'just over' the Port Charlotte line ... into Arcadia County. Namely, the Lake Suzy area. Some nice brand new housing built within the past year on the right hand side of King's Hwy. just as you pass Kingsway C.C. which will be on your left. Lower taxes, your price range, and handy to everything. I have a friend who lived at the Newport condos on Kings Hwy. for years, and they just built over at Lake Suzy, and love it.

If you want nice beaches, go up to Englewood or Venice area. Maybe a condo would be more affordable. Good luck.

Old 12-16-2015, 01:55 PM

Lake Suzy Area in the $130K range.... really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Consider looking 'just over' the Port Charlotte line ... into Arcadia County. Namely, the Lake Suzy area. Some nice brand new housing built within the past year on the right hand side of King's Hwy. just as you pass Kingsway C.C. which will be on your left. Lower taxes, your price range, and handy to everything. I have a friend who lived at the Newport condos on Kings Hwy. for years, and they just built over at Lake Suzy, and love it.

If you want nice beaches, go up to Englewood or Venice area. Maybe a condo would be more affordable. Good luck.

Old 12-16-2015, 02:01 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregorsailor51 View Post
Lake Suzy Area in the $130K range.... really?

Yes, I believe she told me they paid approx. $150K including many upgrades. They are not in Kingsway, they are across the road, across from the old Marathon gas station. In a new section. I know prices have gone up, but they moved in about 6 mos. ago, so it's worth a look for brand new and lower taxes. Your car insurance will be less also.

Old 12-16-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Yes, I believe she told me they paid approx. $150K including many upgrades. They are not in Kingsway, they are across the road, across from the old Marathon gas station. In a new section. I know prices have gone up, but they moved in about 6 mos. ago, so it's worth a look for brand new and lower taxes. Your car insurance will be less also.

Old 12-16-2015, 06:52 PM

46 posts, read 40,831 times
When my wife and I were looking for a home, we went to Burnt Store and liked the area.
Then we went into the home depot store to buy a light bulb for the home we were staying in while we home shopped.
A salesman was stocking shelves and ask politely if we needed help.
We told him the kind of bulb we wanted. No, he said..you need a different bulb. It's cheaper he said and the bulb we wanted would "make our skin look bad and fade the wall paint! We knew what we wanted found it and put it in our cart. The salesman went off! "All you rich people come down here and buy homes with no thought of money! Go ahead buy that bulb!
Waste your money I'm sure you got plenty!
Then he turned and walked off in a huff. I don't remember the exact price between the bulbs asI remember it being less than a dollar.
I'd sure hate to buy in that area and have him for a neighbor!
We bought in port Charlotte and people we have met have been extremely nice and welcoming.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:14 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,626,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ky-guy View Post
When my wife and I were looking for a home, we went to Burnt Store and liked the area.
Then we went into the home depot store to buy a light bulb for the home we were staying in while we home shopped.
A salesman was stocking shelves and ask politely if we needed help.
We told him the kind of bulb we wanted. No, he said..you need a different bulb. It's cheaper he said and the bulb we wanted would "make our skin look bad and fade the wall paint! We knew what we wanted found it and put it in our cart. The salesman went off! "All you rich people come down here and buy homes with no thought of money! Go ahead buy that bulb!
Waste your money I'm sure you got plenty!
Then he turned and walked off in a huff. I don't remember the exact price between the bulbs asI remember it being less than a dollar.
I'd sure hate to buy in that area and have him for a neighbor!
We bought in port Charlotte and people we have met have been extremely nice and welcoming.
So u didn't buy a home by a home depot because of a dollar lightbulb?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte