Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 07:13 AM

35 posts, read 84,687 times

Advertisements

My husband and I just moved to a salt water canal on Bedford Drive (end lot) and was wondering what the fishing is like in our canals here? if you look at the map of the canals off of Charlotte Harbor, we are all the way on the top one at the very end, which makes me think that not very fish make it up this far. Do you think this is true? I am told to use shrimp as everything likes shrimp... any other advice? What's the best way to get started? My husband has a variety of assorted rods and reels that were quite expensive... We are living on Social Security alone now and money is tight so we would like to try to catch some fish from our back yard. Any advice you could give us on the best way to get started would be very helpful. Also can you find any oysters or clams or mussels in this area? We did notice a few blue crabs by our dock pilings... what's the best way to catch them? We're beginners, as you can tell!
Thank you and Merry Christmas to all of you! So glad to be down here where it's warm and sunny!

Last edited by ActionMgt; 12-22-2015 at 07:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 07:47 AM

325 posts, read 507,197 times
Welcome to the area. Can't help with your canal but you can go to Fishin Franks on 41 and talk to them. They also give seminars so you can learn as well.

The store is on 41 on the left coming from PG about a mile or so from the bridge.

Their website is www.fishinfranks.com.

Good luck

Clint

Old 12-22-2015, 08:23 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,024,243 times
That is not far from the harbor at all. There should be plenty of fish and crabs there. Use shrimp or lures for the fish and a good crab trap or two for the crabs. And I second Fishin Franks, they will tell you everything you need to know.

Old 12-22-2015, 08:59 AM

okay good, I knew about Fishin' Franks, just haven't had a chance to go there yet, what with the holidays and all...Thanks for the advice and the information! Much appreciated! Getting excited...

Old 12-22-2015, 04:58 PM

3,179 posts, read 5,998,184 times
Yes, you will get plenty of fish up there. Snook, sheephead, mangrove snapper, an occasional redfish, and others. Shrimp on the bottom (you'll get a lot of catfish if you let it sit too long), or under a cork. Cut bait (mullet or ladyfish) works good too. Whitebait/greenies will also get eaten.
As far as the crabs, you'll need to get you a crab trap (~$20-25) and stuff the bait basket with meat scraps. Let it soak for 2 days and check it. Good luck, and most important, HAVE FUN!!!!

Old 12-22-2015, 06:07 PM

93 posts, read 125,957 times
If your not having fun its probably time to try something else..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
Yes, you will get plenty of fish up there. Snook, sheephead, mangrove snapper, an occasional redfish, and others. Shrimp on the bottom (you'll get a lot of catfish if you let it sit too long), or under a cork. Cut bait (mullet or ladyfish) works good too. Whitebait/greenies will also get eaten.
As far as the crabs, you'll need to get you a crab trap (~$20-25) and stuff the bait basket with meat scraps. Let it soak for 2 days and check it. Good luck, and most important, HAVE FUN!!!!

Old 12-23-2015, 06:41 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,820,631 times
Don't listen to people who tell you you are not having fun fishing. It is fishing not catching and a little time and determination pays off ten fold. Enjoy!

Old 12-24-2015, 06:39 AM

207 posts, read 217,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaRay35 View Post
Don't listen to people who tell you you are not having fun fishing. It is fishing not catching and a little time and determination pays off ten fold. Enjoy!
Yeah this! I fish all the time and I stink at it. One day I hope to be the man like MA...haha.

Old 12-24-2015, 08:17 AM

2,118 posts, read 3,774,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher419 View Post
Yeah this! I fish all the time and I stink at it. One day I hope to be the man like MA...haha.
you're just being nice....
But keep that up!

Look in the real fishing forum.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:28 PM

thanks for all your replies.. we plan to buy at least one crab trap and will try our hand at fishing the canals sometime this winter, as soon as we recover from our two moves this summer... we aren't spring chickens any more!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte