Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 09:00 AM

3 posts, read 1,961 times

Advertisements

Good morning, I have a home in the North port area. The home is a 3 bedroom 2 bath, I have carpet in the bedrooms and living room. I have ceramic tile in the bath, laundry and kitchen. I am looking to replace all flooring with new ceramic tile. I was wondering if anyone has any good recommendations for the flooring purchase and install. And if they have any experience how much to expect to budget for. And maybe if they have an alternative to the tile, I just need something that is pet friendly and easy to clean accidents with.

Thank you in advance for any help and advice given.

Steven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2017, 09:15 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,550,239 times
We go to Tile Outlets of America in Ft. Myers. They have so many choices and price ranges. It is a warehouse and you walk through it to select what you want. We currently have engineered hardwood floors and our dog has scratched them. We can't find anyone in this entire area that will refinish them so we are looking into other options. I am thinking of going with the Vinyl Plank Flooring. I like the softer feel on your feet than tile, which our engineered hardwood is much softer than tile. The Vinyl Flooring won't scratch. If you go with tile I would recommend Porcelain tile rather than Ceramic Tile.

Their web site has a lot of good information and answers some questions that most people don't think about:
https://www.tileoutlets.com/learn-about-tile/faq/

Old 09-02-2017, 02:05 PM

92 posts, read 228,832 times
We were just looking at the vinyl plank flooring at the flooring store today. It looks and feels like real wood planks and the stuff we saw has a rubberized padding glued to the underside. These were thicker planks.
This flooring is supposed to be water- and scratch-proof, is warranteed for life, easy to install, and works well on subfloors that may not be totally smooth. The stuff we saw was $2.29 sf.

Old 09-02-2017, 03:45 PM

1,917 posts, read 2,631,029 times
Tile outlets of America........if you can go for a natural stone (Travertine) unpolished

The problem with ceramics or polished stone is that eventually it scratches or chips or flakes and now you have a problem.

If finances are an issue you can buy enough to do every room you want to do , that way it will all match.

Then just contract with an installer for one room at a time as finances allow

Gary

Old 09-03-2017, 05:36 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,444,863 times
Alternate flooring source is Floor Decor in Sarasota. Get bids on the flooring from installation contractors.

Old 09-03-2017, 12:58 PM

112 posts, read 146,419 times
Default Flooring options

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyGras View Post
Tile outlets of America........if you can go for a natural stone (Travertine) unpolished

The problem with ceramics or polished stone is that eventually it scratches or chips or flakes and now you have a problem.

If finances are an issue you can buy enough to do every room you want to do , that way it will all match.

Then just contract with an installer for one room at a time as finances allow

Gary
Last year my wife and I bought and completely remodeled a house in PGI. We decided to do the entire house in Travertine. The old flooring was a mix of ceramic tile and Terazzo. It was a lot of work sanding and scruffing the Terazzo so that the Travertine would adhere.

The results were well worth the effort.

Old 09-03-2017, 04:58 PM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,524,577 times
I'm in the hardwood flooring business, sanding and re-finishing is about 75% and installation is the rest of our business.
There's nothing like a "real" hardwood floor but with that said I really do like LVT (plank). water proof, scratch proof, cheap, and easy to install. You don't even need a saw to cut it, just score it w/ a razor knife and it snaps off.

OP- I would look at LVT planks vs. ceramic tile.

Old 09-03-2017, 08:54 PM

1,917 posts, read 2,631,029 times
Here is the thread I posted when I had travertine installed, with both before and after photos.

Remodeling with sliders....... Another happy customer
Gary

Old 09-04-2017, 10:24 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,444,863 times
I would tend to steer clear of the vinyl flooring. Our condo project in KW put those in, lasted 2 years before losing the finish, having to rip it out and replace it. Not saying all have this problem, but be careful and check before buying.

Old 09-04-2017, 01:25 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,550,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
I would tend to steer clear of the vinyl flooring. Our condo project in KW put those in, lasted 2 years before losing the finish, having to rip it out and replace it. Not saying all have this problem, but be careful and check before buying.
There are definitely different grades (2mm up to 8mm) of Vinyl Plank Flooring. The type we have been looking at has a 50 year warranty. I think the lower mm only has about a 10 year warranty. Lumber Liquidators has the vinly plank flooring too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte