Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 05:07 PM

363 posts, read 1,361,000 times

Advertisements

Look at the Stillwater development in Englewood (Sarasota) or maybe in the Jacaranda area of Englewood/Venice between 41 and 776. Nice area of Sarasota County with newer subdivision in the price ranges you are looking for.

Also, Windward & Rotonda West in Englewood (Charlotte) is close to beaches and has deed restrictions and newer homes in the mid to high $200's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2008, 05:02 AM

321 posts, read 1,029,552 times
What other amenities are important to you? Do you like to eat out/shop at "malls" on a regular basis? Or will you just be enjoying the outdoors? If the latter is true, I'd be looking in Englewood.

This is not to say there are no restaurants in Englewood. There's just more variety/quantity in Sarasota.

Last edited by AnotherDayInParadise; 08-09-2008 at 05:03 AM.. Reason: additional clarification

Old 08-09-2008, 05:26 AM

152 posts, read 746,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savvyd20 View Post
Don't even make the mistake of moving to Florida. It is not a great place to live. I have lived here for more than 5 years and it is extremely hot in the summers with temperatures soaring to 90 degrees and it rains all the time in the summer. Also, there is a threat of hurricanes. The school system is the worst in the country.
Enjoying life?

Old 08-09-2008, 06:53 AM

Exclamation Sammy654-- Beware of inaccurate info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by memoriesbre View Post
Punta Gorda and Port Charlotte are on Charlotte Harbor and the Peace River. The nearest beach is in Englewood. I wouldn't want to swim in Charlotte Harbor or the Peace River.
There is a beach complex, but like I said, the water isn't great. Port Charlotte has a lot of low priced homes but the area is less than desirable. Punta Gorda has more upscale homes but I still feel the area needs alot of improvements to compare with Marco Island, Naples, Sarasota, etc. North Port is up and coming but there are many many lots that are empty as well as homes because of the declining market. You really need to go and look for yourself. Charlotte County is behind the times with everything. We lived down there for 7 years and were promised so many things and nothing was ever done. Charlotte High School was destroyed in 2004 by Hurricane Charley and it is still sitting in the same condition as the day the storm hit Punta Gorda... DESTROYED... The commissioners in Charlotte County are horrible. Before making a decision, go and look with an open mind.
With you saying that you previously lived there, I detect some lingering bitterness in your post. Please allow me to correct your post, so as that inaccurate (and flat out bad/wrong/false) information in regards to Charlotte High School isn't left unchecked.

Thank you.

Facts: Charlotte High School was not destroyed by Hurricane Charley. "Destroyed" is a term used to describe a total loss. Charlotte High School was severely damaged by Hurricane Charley. While the school could have been repaired, operational, and reopened by now, it was decided that the then 78 year old school would not only be repaired, but completely gutted/renovated as well, since repairs would cause it to be closed for an extended period of time. That renovation is well underway, and has been for sometime, with completion due in the next year or two. Charlotte High School is not "still sitting in the same condition as the day the storm hit Punta Gorda... DESTROYED". A picture is worth a thousand words (and it doesn't lie, either), so if you click on "Bird's eye" after clicking this link----> Web browser and Live Maps are incompatible , you'll see construction/renovation in progress, not a school "still sitting in the same condition as the day the storm hit Punta Gorda... DESTROYED".

As for not swimming in the Peace River or Charlotte Harbor... while that body of water isn't Cayman Island quality, it isn't Boston Harbor either. It is swimmable, and is swam in by many people annually on July 4th during the Charlotte Harbor Freedom Swim - Charlotte Harbor .

Old 08-10-2008, 10:05 AM

937 posts, read 2,890,091 times
Default Good reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff3166 View Post
With you saying that you previously lived there, I detect some lingering bitterness in your post. Please allow me to correct your post, so as that inaccurate (and flat out bad/wrong/false) information in regards to Charlotte High School isn't left unchecked.

Thank you.

Facts: Charlotte High School was not destroyed by Hurricane Charley. "Destroyed" is a term used to describe a total loss. Charlotte High School was severely damaged by Hurricane Charley. While the school could have been repaired, operational, and reopened by now, it was decided that the then 78 year old school would not only be repaired, but completely gutted/renovated as well, since repairs would cause it to be closed for an extended period of time. That renovation is well underway, and has been for sometime, with completion due in the next year or two. Charlotte High School is not "still sitting in the same condition as the day the storm hit Punta Gorda... DESTROYED". A picture is worth a thousand words (and it doesn't lie, either), so if you click on "Bird's eye" after clicking this link----> Web browser and Live Maps are incompatible , you'll see construction/renovation in progress, not a school "still sitting in the same condition as the day the storm hit Punta Gorda... DESTROYED".

As for not swimming in the Peace River or Charlotte Harbor... while that body of water isn't Cayman Island quality, it isn't Boston Harbor either. It is swimmable, and is swam in by many people annually on July 4th during the Charlotte Harbor Freedom Swim - Charlotte Harbor .

Yes, that is true. The school was not completely destroyed. Kids are still using the school grounds. They have been using trailers for classes until they
finish the renovations. It just is taking forever. I lived through Hurricane Charley and when I saw what it did to the main building, to me it was destroyed as many of the buildings in Punta Gorda.

I also know that many people swim in Charlotte Harbor for 4th of July.
I myself do not find it desirable to swim in. Good luck to those that do.
If fish weren't dieing in the waters down in SW Florida maybe I would reconsider swimming in them eventually.

Old 08-10-2008, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memoriesbre View Post
Yes, that is true. The school was not completely destroyed. Kids are still using the school grounds. They have been using trailers for classes until they
finish the renovations. It just is taking forever. I lived through Hurricane Charley and when I saw what it did to the main building, to me it was destroyed as many of the buildings in Punta Gorda.

I also know that many people swim in Charlotte Harbor for 4th of July.
I myself do not find it desirable to swim in. Good luck to those that do.
If fish weren't dieing in the waters down in SW Florida maybe I would reconsider swimming in them eventually.
I understand what you're saying about the fish dying in the coastal waters. That is something happening all along the SW coast of Florida, due to red tide. To my knowledge, Charlotte County in particular hasn't had a red tide problem, it's primarily been down in Lee County. While there isn't a polution problem in Charlotte Harbor, I can understand why some wouldn't want to swim in it... like I said, the water isn't Cayman Island quality, it isn't even close to the quality of water found on the Florida Panhandle beaches, but it's swimmable.

You are very right about it seemingly taking forever to get going on Charlotte High School. As you probably remember, following Hurricane Charley, some immediately saw the damage to the school as the perfect opportunity to finally build a new one, while others saw the opportunity to finally have a complete renovation/restoration of the old one. Finally, after a lot of politicing and after cutting through a lot of red tape to get the plans and funding, the ones that wanted renovation/restoration won and the work commenced about a year after Hurricane Charley came through.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:43 AM

937 posts, read 2,890,091 times
Default How did the Old Courthouse come out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff3166 View Post
I understand what you're saying about the fish dying in the coastal waters. That is something happening all along the SW coast of Florida, due to red tide. To my knowledge, Charlotte County in particular hasn't had a red tide problem, it's primarily been down in Lee County. While there isn't a polution problem in Charlotte Harbor, I can understand why some wouldn't want to swim in it... like I said, the water isn't Cayman Island quality, it isn't even close to the quality of water found on the Florida Panhandle beaches, but it's swimmable.

You are very right about it seemingly taking forever to get going on Charlotte High School. As you probably remember, following Hurricane Charley, some immediately saw the damage to the school as the perfect opportunity to finally build a new one, while others saw the opportunity to finally have a complete renovation/restoration of the old one. Finally, after a lot of politicing and after cutting through a lot of red tape to get the plans and funding, the ones that wanted renovation/restoration won and the work commenced about a year after Hurricane Charley came through.

Is the old courthouse done? Did it come out nice? It sure took them a while to decide on weather to tear that building down or renovate. Hopefully it looks great, (if done)!

Old 08-11-2008, 03:12 PM

Yes, after much politicing and red tape, they finally did complete and reopen it. Last I heard, they were going to use it for an appelet court, but I'm not sure if that ever happened or not. It does look nice though.

Old 08-13-2008, 04:57 PM

7 posts, read 22,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy654 View Post
Looking for 3-4 bdrm with pool, fairly new home near the water or at least close beach access. Thinking about, but have not been to Venice, Punta Gorda, Port Charlotte or even Fort Myers. Does anyone have informatoin to offer? Thanks so much!!
There are many wonderful gated communities in South Fort Myers in the Iona/McGregor Blvd. area that might be a fit for you. This area is just a few minutes away from the Sanibel Causeway.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:53 PM

1,286 posts, read 2,917,429 times
well fort myers, estero, bonita springs, and naples are respectable places to live and are close the to beach. once you get to cape coral (traffic with drive you crazy and the cookie cutter homes are ugly and the view of the county is something out of a movie) or lehigh (lots of drugs and illegal immigrants). north port is nice near the gulf, but then again so is everything.

which county holds the record for most single mothers with babies in the USA? i forget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte