Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2009, 05:59 AM

19 posts, read 61,617 times

Advertisements

We are avid sea kayakers and road bikers. We started by visiting Venice/Sarasota. The WaterTrail /Legacy is very nice- but we felt limited in that the area roads were too busy for safe travel by bike for 30-50 mile trips.

There has been much favorable press about Punta Gorda recently. From its location, it appears there may be more options for road biking less traveled roads (hopefully with shoulders) for 30-50 mile trips.

I would appreciate any thoughts on road biking in the area - both around town for outings to stores and restaurants and for exercise. Also, would appreciate any other areas we should check out on our next trip.

Our retirement goal is to be able to kayak out the back door and bike out the front door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 06:26 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,930,733 times
One of the things that I've noted is that most roads have no shoulders, bad for walking and even worse for biking.

Have you tried a route along the barrier Islands? Like Bird Key to Anna Maria?
Or Venice through South Venice (along the intra-coastal) to Manasota beach road, down beach on Manasota Key, then down 775 to Placida and onto Gasparilla island (Boca Grande)

Old 04-14-2009, 06:46 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,930,209 times
Here's a guide to Florida bike trails that you might find interesting:

http://www.dep.state.fl.us/gwt/PDF/biketrails_b_v6.pdf

Old 04-14-2009, 10:56 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,094,441 times
Hi 2Kayaks,
I recently moved here to PGI, and for the most part around PGI you can bike pretty much around safely, along Marian and Bal Harbor (two of the main roads in and out of PGI) they have wide sidewalks so you can bike on them. There are a lot of people around here that bike. Aqui Esta, one of the other main roads in and out of PGI is currently under construction. It did not have sidwalks or a shoulder wide enough to bike, but I believe the new plans have bike accessibilty, but don't know for sure. I will try to find out.

I recently bought my wife and I bikes so we tool around here. I am not a Tour de France bike rider like one of my cousins, but we definitely can get around town and in and out of PGI safely along the road and sidewalks. On Saturday mornings they have a nice Farmer's market on Taylor Avenue and it is fun to bike to that, and while out we get a news paper, breakfast, and a newspaper before heading back. The farmer's market has fresh vegetables, fruit, cheeses, flowers, and seafood and other things. You can ride your bike to town easily or to one of the convienience stores for coffee and a newspaper, or you can walk if you wish, but it is a long walk though. People here ride bikes and walk all the time.

I just bought two kayaks myself, and have been kayaking all around the canal where my home is located. there are other canals in PGI that all have gulf access, and some are quite wild like, if you go to Ponce de Leon Park / inlet and launch you will see that.

SoFLGal posted a good link. PGI is pretty affordable you ought to check it out. But if you don't mind putting your bikes on a rack and driving a few minutes as well. I would definitely check out Boca Grande (the town). They have a wonderful path that is designed for bikes and golf carts. Its cool.

All things combined, I like what PGI offers though -its worth a look!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte